One of our favorite bloggers is Dr. Geo Espinosa who writes frequently about interstitial cystitis and other bladder/prostate disorders. He has an awesome blog today that explains how stress triggers an increase in bladder symptoms such as frequency, urgency and pain. He reminds us all that:
STRESS = INFLAMMATION = PAIN & URGENCY
What I particularly appreciate, though, are his seven tips to lower stress. He suggests:
- Try magnesium! He suggests using 100mg to 250mg a day should work.
- The herb Lemon balm (Melissa officionalis) has been well studied to produce calmness and alertness. Lemon Balm is NOT related to the citrus fruit. (Kennedy et al. 2004)
- Exercise regularly.
- Breathing deeply! 5 deep breaths two to three times a day is a good start.
- Remove sugar and refined carbohydrates (RC) from your diet as they cause nutritional stress and inflammation.
- Try herbs that help balance your response to stress such as ginseng, Rhodiola rosea, Siberian ginseng, cordyceps, and ashwagandha.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff! Keep your stressors in perspective.
Dr. Geo’s new supplement, Cysto-Renew, is getting rave reviews from patients! Released in Fall 2013, it has a combination of ingredients designed to help calm the bladder and support healthy functioning of the urinary tract system.† Each ingredient researched by Dr. Espinosa, a naturopathic physician specializing in urology, contributes to the health of the bladder glycosaminoglycan layer, nitric oxide production, healthy stress response, and normal mast cell production that helps promote a healthy functioning bladder and normal urine frequency. †