New This Week on the ICN! April 24, 2014
- Got IC or Pelvic Pain? Jennifer Fariello MSN CRNP shares her best tips for working with your doctorsl
Ever wonder what makes the best patient/physician relationships? Nurse practitioner Jennifer Fariello shares several tips, her favorite likes and dislikes, to help you work effectively with your doctors. Her career has been dedicated to the treatment of IC and pelvic pain disorders and she's one of the best in the country. She's loved by her patients for her compassion and kindness. Good insights here! READ IT NOW!
- Bladder Rape by Silver Nitrate - How One Patient Was Forced To Have A Treatment Without Consent
There is no excuse for what happened to an IC patient earlier this. During her first visit to a urologist, she was asked if she would give a clean catch sample of her urine for a urinalysis. After that was done and without the patients knowledge or consent, the nurse instilled silver nitrate (an old, outdated treatment that strips the bladder lining off) into her bladder that led to her screaming in pain. Worse, the nurse refused to release it from her bladder for several minutes.
We know that rape is a strong word but, in this case, we think it's an apt description of what happened. WE HOPE YOU SHARE OUR OUTRAGE! READ IT NOW!!
Take A New Survey in the ICN Survey Center
- Is there a connection between IC, Gastritis & Gastroparesis?
Do you struggle with stomach problems in addition to your IC? A growing number of patients are reporting stomach irritation, multiple bouts of gastritis, stomach ulcers and gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying). This new ICN Survey seeks to determine if IC patients struggle with more stomach complaints than previous reported in other studies, as well as to determine if stomach complaints were present before, or developed after, the onset of bladder symptoms. We are particularly interested in the sequence of symptom development. Which symptom group appeared first? Bladder, Bowel or Stomach! Please take our survey here!
What Are Patients Talking About - Stories, Questions, Requests for Support
- "Beware of Yasmin" - Some patients report that their symptoms began, or worsened, after taking this hormone product. Read it here!
- "Marijuana?" - One member asked "has anyone tried medical marijuana for their bladder symptoms?" The responses are interesting... with some patients saying it helped dramatically while another said it made their symptoms worse. Whether it is legally available in your state is also a key issue that cannot be ignored. Share your thoughts and read more here!
- "Please help. New here and feeling hopeless" - This newly diagnosed patient shares how her symptoms began after pelvic surgery and the use of a foley catheter. She's looking for people who can relate and offer comfort. Show her she's not alone by posting a response here!
- "I'm so sad.. Can't luv cause of sick" - This young IC patient shares her frustration with how her pain has interfered with her ability to enjoy normal things. The responses from patients are absolutely beautiful. See how patients do such a great job of supporting each other here!
New DVD & Home Program for Pelvic Pain & Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
- Just Released! Healing Pelvic and Abdominal Pain: The Ultimate Home Program for Patients and a Guide For Practitioners.
Finally, a video about pelvic pain and pelvic floor dysfunction that patients can follow from the comfort of their home. Produced by Amy Stein DPT, this two hour video shares the Beyond Basics Physical Therapy Home Program for the management of pelvic and abdominal pelvic pain (and pelvic floor dysfunction) in men, women and children.
The goal of this video is to explain the various symptoms and the possible causes, of pelvic and abdominal pain, and assist men, women and children of whom suffer from pelvic, abdominal and back pain, through gentle external and internal massages and stretches. There is also an explanation of what abdomino-pelvic pain syndromes and pelvic floor dysfunction are from a musculoskeletal perspective.
Symptoms that can be helped through this video are:
- Pelvic, abdominal, back, groin, hip and/or tailbone pain, including pain during or after intercourse.
- Pain, spasm or burning in or around the urethra/genitals/ano-rectal area
- Irritable bladder/urinary urgency, frequency and/or retention
- Painful Bladder Syndrome/Interstitial Cystitis, involving pain and frequent urination
- Bowel urge incontinence/pain with defecation/inability to empty bowels
- Pain associated with endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease
- Non-bacterial prostatitis, prostatodynia
- Irritable bowel syndrome (gas, constipation, diarrhea) Feeling of rectal or vaginal fullness/ abdominal pain/pressure
- Vulvodynia, vestibulitis, dyspareunia (pain with penetration)
- Pudendal neuralgia & more!
More Resources From the ICN Shop!