September is IC Awareness Month - www.icawareness.org
The most exciting time of the year for the IC community, IC Awareness Month, begins September first as patients around the world unite to educate others about IC.
We need to reach those patients who are suffering in silence and give them hope. We need to educate doctors who are still treating IC out of old textbooks that new treatments are available. We need to educate our community leaders and government representatives that our need for rest room access is legitimate and vital!
So, how do we do this? Through people like YOU who believe that patients deserve kindness, compassion and better care. IC Awareness Month is the ultimate grass roots campaign. There's no big pharmaceutical company backing this.. it's driven by patients who truly believe that we deserve a better future!
Ten Easy Ways You Can Help
1. POSTER POWER
One of the easiest things you can do is just put up our poster at your local church, coffee shop or, better yet, send it to all of your doctors and ask them to post it so that other patients can learn about IC. Use the poster on the back cover of your Summer 2014 IC Optimist or print out and share our official poster
2. FACEBOOK, TWEET, PINTEREST & INSTAGRAM IT UP!
We also have Facebook Profile and Timeline pictures that you can use!
3. DARE THE PRESS TO COVER IC
Ask your local newspaper to do a story on IC and IC Awareness Month. We've prepared a simple, two page press release (featuring Dr. Rob Moldwin) you can send to them, ideally with a paragraph about your own personal story. Newspapers love to discuss how lives have been changed, for better or for worse. You can use your own name or ask them to use a pseudonym. Download the official press release here!
4. POSTER & TIMELINE CONTESTS NOW OPEN
2014 Poster Contest - Bring out your inner artist and create a poster for IC Awareness Month sharing your own interpretation of life with IC. Have you children make their own poster with your choice of medium: digital, watercolor, crayon, markers! Your choice! All posters will be added to our website and the winners will receive $100, $75 or $50 gift certificates from the ICN Shop! Learn more and see poster samples here!
2014 Timeline Contest - Last year, we had some fabulous entries and I know that this year will be even better. What we're looking for is an image, collage, drawing that shares your story of life with IC for use as a Facebook Timeline Image. All languages welcome! Learn more about see timeline image samples here!
5. HIT UP LOCAL RADIO & TV STATIONS
Radio and TV stations love to do public service announcements! We've got four scripts that can be used for a simple, easy PSA to share info on IC. Sample public service announcements
6. DONATE AN IC BOOK TO YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY
If you tried to get information on IC and visited your local library, you probably found ZILCH! Yes, that's right, most public libraries do not carry books on IC unless a patient or a support group donates one or two. So, think about making a gift of a book to a local library! Click here for some book ideas!
7. ASK FOR PROCLAMATIONS
Ask your City Council, County Board of Supervisors, State, Provincial or National legislators to pass a Proclamation to honor IC Awareness Month. We've made this as easy as possible with a pre written proclamation! Use the copy in your IC Optimist or print it out here!
8. START A SUPPORT GROUP OR SUPPORT ONE NEAR YOU!
Donate to a local support group that is serving IC patients – They can use stamps, cash or even book donations for low income patients. If there's no group near you, please start one. Learn how in the ICN Support Group Resource Center.
9. EDUCATE OTHERS WITH OUR NEW IC FACT SHEETS
The ICN has developed a new series of fact sheets for 2014. Share them with your family, friends and medical care providers here! Free downloads here!
10. WEAR YOUR PRIDE
Wear your pride with our official IC Awareness Month pins, silicon bracelets and, in next week, IC Awareness Month Car Magnets. Available in the ICN Shop!
Summer IC Optimist Now Available
In this issue:
(1) Guest Editorial: Have You Been Punished For Using The Restroom at Work? - It's 2014 and some employers are still punishing employees who need restroom access. I discuss two new cases this Spring, review the actual law and share several IC patient stories.
(2) Related Conditions: IC & TMJ - Many find it baffling that this common jaw disorder is one of the most strongly related conditions to IC. Stacey Shannon offers an in-depth review of TMJ and shares several patient stories.
(3) Inside AUA 2014 - The annual American Urological Association annual meeting is the highlight of the IC research community and this year, several promising studies were released that reveal more about IC, two possible subsets of IC and new, potential therapies.
(4) 2014 IC/BPS Fact Sheets - This summer, we completely revamped our IC fact sheets that are distributed by doctors throughout the country. We including copies for your use that you can also photocopy and share with other medical professionals and/or family members.
(5) Medicare or Medicareless - If you're receiving federal retirement or disability social security benefits, you've probably noticed some big changes in your Medicare coverage in the last year. We share what's happening to patients, how the Medicare system is changing and how cash and carry clinics may be the most affordable option of all.
(6) Ten Money Saving Tips For IC/BPS Treatments & Drugs - Almost every patient is looking for ways to reduce their out of pocket costs and we share our best tips here on how to stretch your dollar.
(7) Athletics & Pelvic Floor Dysfunction - New research shows a clear connection between athletics, pelvic floor dysfunction and pelvic pain disorders. We offer five tips to help you maintain good pelvic floor health and function.
(8) Book Review: The Proactive Patient – Managing IC/BPS and Related Conditions - We give a glowing review to the latest book on IC/BPS written by Gaye & Andrew Sandler. This comprehensive resource guide is a must read for every patient.
(9) The IC Diet Project: Savor the Last Days of Summer with Some Great Grilling - Julie Beyer RD offers some great, bladder friendly grilling ideas and recipes.
(10) Your IC Awareness Month Kit - September is IC Awareness Month and we've included, yet again, another kit that you can use to raise knowledge and build compassion for IC in your community including a press release, sample proclamation, poster and fact sheet!
The ICN Mail Order Center - www.icnsales.com
800.928.7496 or 707.433.0413
IC Awareness Items