Trouble reading this e-mail?? Read it online here!
New IC Webinar Next Week - Is a natural approach better for treating bladder dysfunction?
You are cordially invited to attend a webinar featuring one of the up and coming stars in the IC movement, Dr. Geo Espinosa. A naturopathic urologist, Dr. Geo is the founder and director of the Integrative Urology Center at NYU. He is the leading authority in the USA on the treatment of IC/BPS using natural methods. This is a rare opportunity to hear, from a seasoned professional, treatment and care options if you would prefer to use alternative methods, including the new Cysto-Renew. The event is FREE, available online and is sponsored by Douglas Laboratories.
THURSDAY, September 5th – 3PM EST, 12PM PST
- Learn how a non-urologist can evaluate a patient with bladder dysfunction
- Explore how to best manage IC/PBS with natural medicine
- Discuss the limitations of natural medicine with IC/PBS
- Learn naturopathic protocols & nutrients that can help rebuild the bladder lining
- Discuss what IC sufferers can do to significantly improve their symptoms
- Learn more and register here!
IC Optimist Now Available
The IC Optimist quarterly magazine is the flagship publication of the ICN, delivered to patients and providers around the world. Our Late Summer issue is, according to one reader, the best we've ever produced! In this issue:
(1) Guest Editorial: A Letter to My Chronically Ill Patients
(2) IC & CAPPS: Dr Robert Echenberg Discusses Complex Abdominal & Pelvic Pain Syndrome
(3) Inside AUA 2013
(4) AUA Treatment Summary
(5) AUA Treatment Checklist
(6) Clinical Trial News
(7) Cool & Quenching Drinks
(8) Your IC Awareness Month Kit
If you haven't visited the ICN website recently, you'll notice a completely new front end. Most of the content for IC has been rewritten with the latest information and research but we're also in the process of adding new sections on pelvic floor dysfunction, pelvic pain, prostatitis, ketamine cystitis and much MUCH more!
Come on over and take a look! We've added a new blog and now every page can be shared through social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, Reddit, Pinterest and many more!
Our medical care provider and support group database now uses google maps so that you can search easily by state and location, and get directions to the clinic! We'll be adding many more features to this database in the coming months!
We'd love your feedback, ideas and suggestions!
ICN Survey Center - Do you experience pain "down there?" Clitorodynia?
(Editors Note - I call this pain one of the "dirty secrets" of IC. I've spoken with many women who have struggled with pain who refused to tell their physicians their symptoms out of fear that they would be judged negatively. In fact, clitorodynia is probably quite common and this study seeks to develop some baseline data on its incidence and symptoms. If you've struggled with this pain, please participate in this brief survey! - Jill O.)
A group of researchers at McGill University is seeking women who experience clitoral pain (Clitorodynia) to participate in an online study designed to collect demographic information, assess pain symptoms, and potential causes of this important women's health issue. If you believe you suffer from this problem or have been diagnosed with Clitorodynia and would like to participate we would like your help.
This research project is directed by Dr. Mayte Parada, Department of Psychology, McGill University. Participation includes a 30-minute online questionnaire that includes demographic information, gynecological/medical history, and sexual functioning. No pain will be experienced or health risks posed. All personal information is strictly confidential and will not be shared with third parties. Participants will be entered into a raffle for one of two gift cards from Amazon.com (odds are approximately 1 in 100).
Click on this link to start: http://goo.gl/ob2Zg
IC Clinical Trials You Can Participate In
- New IC/BPS Clinical Trial Seeks Women Struggling With Bladder Pain
- New LiRIS® Clinical Trial Launched in USA & Canada
- More Studies from clinicaltrials.gov
Recent, Topical IC Videos, Webcasts & Blogs
- The Ramblings of an IC Combatant - Tali Kateri
- Causes of painful intimacy (dyspareunia) in one image - Dr. Jen Gunter
- Mast Cells, Interstitial Cystitis, and Is Diet Alone Enough to Treat Bladder Symptoms? -Julie Beyer RD
- Pelvic Pain PT - The Role of Connective Tissue Manipulation - Pelvic Pain Rehab
- Finding A Good Pelvic Pain Physical Therapist: It's a Global Challenge - Pelvic Pain Help
- Worried that you're not getting enough Vitamin C? - A Simply Delicious Blog
- Keeping The Spirit Alive - Frannie Rose
- My Story: You Don't Look Sick - Joy Belak
- My Story: Fifteen Years Looking for a Diagnosis - Jackie Schneider
Introducing Pain Shield
(Advertisement) KevMed PainShield® MD, a new wearable device that delivers low-frequency therapeutic ultrasound, promises to be a non-invasive, drug-free alternative for pain management in patients who suffer from debilitating pelvic pain.
In patients with long-standing, difficult-to-treat pain, PainShield MD has been found to significantly reduce pain associated with a number of pelvic and abdominal conditions, including interstitial cystitis, irritable bowel syndrome and chronic pelvic pain. A number of patients have been able to reduce or eliminate their use of medications, including opioids.
PainShield MD is lightweight, wearable, portable and smaller than a TV remote can be used almost anywhere and anytime - at home, work or the clinic, or even while sleeping offers simple hands-free operation
We invite you to explore our web site, where you can learn more about the clinical effects of PainShield MD, as well as its technical details. You will also be able read testimonials from patients who have benefitted from PainShield MD. Lastly, please download our information brochure which you can share with your health professionals.
Interesting News & Research
- Combined intravesical sodium hyaluronate/chondroitin sulfate therapy for interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome: a prospective study.
- Test for fibromyalgia within sight: Only a Blood Sample Required
- An Endogenous Pain Control System Is Altered In Subjects With Interstitial Cystitis.
- The Association of Dysmenorrhea with Non-cyclic Pelvic Pain Accounting for Psychological Factors.
- Sympathomimetic amines effectively control pain for interstitial cystitis that had not responded to other therapies.
Interested in Starting a Support Group?
As part of IC Awareness Month, the ICN has launched a new Support Group Resource Center for motivated patients and/or family members who want to start a support group in their area! You'll learn about the different types of groups available, support group leader qualities, how to get started, selecting a schedule, how to format and run meetings and much more! We'll be adding several videos to this section in the coming weeks! Read more here!
Recipe of the Month
The (Simply Delicious: Low Acid Eating Made Simple) blog features simple, easy tips that will help you and anyone struggling with acid sensitivity enjoy food again! Sponsored by AkPharma, Makers of Prelief!
If you've found Prelief helps, please LIKE the PRELIEF FACEBOOK page!.
1 c. oil
1–1/3 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 c. peeled & grated zucchini
3 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. soda
1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 to 1 c. chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 325°F. Beat eggs; blend in oil, sugar and flavoring. Add zucchini. Sift flour with dry ingredients. Beat into first mixture. Fold in nuts. Bake for 60 to 75 minutes. Makes two loaves. Bread freezes well
IC Resources From The ICN Mail Order Center
www.icnsales.com - (800)928-7496
Your purchases in the ICN Shop and ICN Subscriptions fund this free newsletter, our extensive web site, on-line support chats, the support forum and our patient assistance phone line. We thank you for your support. Without you, we wouldn't be able to do what we do nor employ the many IC patients who help us. We are very grateful for all of our subscribers and customers!
It's always exciting to introduce a new product that has the potential of helping some patients, particularly those who cannot afford traditional treatments and/or lack health insurance.
Cysto Renew™ was developed by Dr. Geo Espinosa and is a unique combination of ingredients designed to help calm the bladder and support healthy functioning of the urinary tract system. Each ingredient researched by Dr. Espinosa contributes to the health of the bladder glycosaminoglycan layer, nitric oxide production, healthy stress response, and normal mast cell production that helps promote a healthy functioning bladder and normal urine frequency. Learn more!
Back to School
From elementary school through college, having IC can be very difficult while attending school. Here are some resources that may help!
- Rest room Access Cards - To show to teachers
- Organic Pear Juice Boxes - Knudson
- Almond Butter - Perfect for quick sandwiches
- Low Acid Organic Jams - Blueberry, Pear, Apple Pie
- Fruit Bars - Pear, Blueberry
- Danielle's Snacks - Crunchy Pumpkin Chips, Coconut Chips & Sweet Potato Chips
- Tiger Balm Pain Relieving Pads - To reduce pain and discomfort
- BodiHeat Heating Pads - Delivers gentle heat during the day
- Chair Cushions - To make sitting in a car more comfortable
- Hint Essence Water - Bladder friendly water!
Got Pelvic Floor Dysfunction or Pelvic Pain? These can help!
- Heal Pelvic Pain by Amy Stein PT (For Men & Women)
- Ending Female Pain by Isa Herrera PT (For Women)
- Guided Imagery To Enhance Healing - Chronic Pelvic Pain or Prostatitis (For Men)
- Guided Imagery for Relaxation - IC and Pelvic Pain (For Women)
- Guided Imagery to Enhance Healing - IC, Pelvic Pain or Vulvodynia (For Women)
Alices Stick Cookies Release New Flavor
If you need a bit of SWEET after dinner, you can't go wrong with Alice's Stick Cookies. Produced by a small business here in California, they receive RAVE reviews for their bladder friendliness and rich, buttery flavor. Named the Best Cookie twice by the National Association for the Specialty Food Trade Association, they have a delicate, moist texture that literally melts in your mouth, perfect for an afternoon treat. The VANILLA flavor has a hint of toffee has been our favorite but they've just launched a new flavor, CINNAMON GINGER, that you may love as well! Learn more!
TENGA's have arrived
A few years ago, we were sitting around the table wondering what a couple could use when one partner can't tolerate intimacy due to tight pelvic floor muscles and/or pain. A quick search of the web introduced us to a new line of products called TENGA that receive rave reviews. If you would like to introduce some play into your relationship and/or have an option for those moments when your IC is flaring, this might be a worthwhile investment. Learn more!
Find these items and 400 more items in the ICN Mail Order Center Today - http://www.icnsales.com