Latest Blog Article: Ten Tips For Talking IC With Friends & Family
    ICN Member

What is out there to help HORMONAL ONLY IC symptoms??

Advertisement :
    Hi Friends

I randomly started getting IC symptoms last year. At the time, I had been on Mirena IUD for a year. No one seems to be able to diagnose me but I have listened to my body and discovered I am getting the pain from my bladder for hormonal reasons. Mirena came out and the symptoms vanished. Now after 2 months on Nuvaring, they are returning. Has anyone noticed their pain stems from hormones only - such as progesterone? I mean what can i even do to solve this problem? I am only 24 and I need to be on birth control....I kept a food diary and literally zero foods cause any sort of pain and my bladder wall is in tact so really the IC diet has not caused any relief. I can go weeks without pain or problems so jumping on any kind of pill without a for sure diagnosis is not really an option for me.

Re: What is out there to help HORMONAL ONLY IC symptoms??

Yes it can and does! The scientific name is "genitourinary syndrome of menopause"... which basically covers patients who struggle with urinary frequency, urgency, pressure and/or pain due to the lack of estrogen. This is why many patients flare the day that they ovulate.. which estrogen levels are the lowest. We also have to throw in that some pills and/or other methods may contain chemicals which irritate the bladder wall causing chemical cystitis.

Last but not least, we would also have to consider endometriosis on the bladder which could be exacerbating symptoms when hormones are fluctuating.

It sucks, right? I'm going through this now from my hysterectomy last year for uterine cancer and my bladder is definitely far more sensitive, irritable and, when it's irritated, more painful too. :::sigh:::

Jill
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

ICN Member

Re: What is out there to help HORMONAL ONLY IC symptoms??

Quote Originally Posted by icnmgrjill View Post
    Yes it can and does! The scientific name is "genitourinary syndrome of menopause"... which basically covers patients who struggle with urinary frequency, urgency, pressure and/or pain due to the lack of estrogen. This is why many patients flare the day that they ovulate.. which estrogen levels are the lowest. We also have to throw in that some pills and/or other methods may contain chemicals which irritate the bladder wall causing chemical cystitis.

Last but not least, we would also have to consider endometriosis on the bladder which could be exacerbating symptoms when hormones are fluctuating.

It sucks, right? I'm going through this now from my hysterectomy last year for uterine cancer and my bladder is definitely far more sensitive, irritable and, when it's irritated, more painful too. :::sigh:::

Jill

Thanks Jill for the response!! I am sorry you are going through this after your hysterectomy. These symptoms are truly terrible!! I have been pondering endo for a while. Do you think that endo on the bladder is something that would not show up in an ultrasound? I have had many on my bladder as well as uterus and everything comes back normal.

Thread Information