This is one of my favorite soups now after being diagnosed with IC. I modified this recipe from a non-IC-friendly version. Enjoy~!

Yield: 10 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 cup chopped leek
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 chopped celery stalk
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 recipe no-mato sauce (recipe follows)
1 (32 ounce) carton organic chicken broth
2 tsp basil
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1 cup white rice

Directions

Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil and ground beef and break the meat apart with a spoon. Cook until browned and cooked through, about five to seven minutes.
Add the leek, bell peppers, celery and garlic and sauté until tender, about five more minutes.
Add the no-mato sauce, chicken broth, basil, oregano, salt, thyme, and parsley and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
While the soup is simmering, cook the rice.
Stir the parsley into the soup. To serve, put a scoop of rice in a bowl and then ladle soup over. Serves 10 as a main dish
*NOTE* I cook the rice separately and mix it directly into the soup. You may not want to do this because the rice will absorb a lot of the liquid and get mushy. Stacy and I like it, though, and I add more chicken broth the next day when I’m heating it up.
*NOTE* This recipe is better the next day.
*NOTE* You can add sour cream and shredded cheese when serving. It’s great!

No-Mato Sauce - This may be a recipe I found elsewhere on this website. I honestly can't remember.

Yield: 1 batch
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes

Ingredients

6 carrots
1 red bell pepper
1 onion (or 1 leek)
1 celery stalk
Water
Salt
3 cloves of garlic
2 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp salt

Directions

Cut up the vegetables. Put them in a medium-sized pot and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt. Cook over medium-high heat until soft, about 20 minutes.
Sauté the garlic in a little olive oil until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Put the cooked vegetables in a blender and blend, adding some of the water from the pot until the mixture has a tomato sauce texture. Add the garlic and other seasonings and mix.

*NOTE* You can add a beet in here for color or flavor, but I personally don't like it much.