Latest Blog Article: IC Diet Project - Fresh Blueberries Are In Season! Our Favorite Blueberry Love Recipes!
    ICN Member

can instills be used for instant relief

Advertisement :
    Hello,

I have found out over the past year that my IC probably came back because of menopause. My last period was Nov. 2015. My IC came back Jan 2016 with a vengeance after IC free for almost 4 years. I started cysto renew in March of 2016 at 4x a day and went back on the diet. It (IC) lasted for 8 months until Aug 2016. Since then I have had only 2 flare ups Jan 2017 and just this week. Each time I also had symptoms like I used to have when my period would want to start. I think these episodes are causing the flare ups. Don't know much about menopause but seems my body still wants to have a period and occasionally gives me premenstrual symptoms but no bleeding and that is what is causing the flares. I haven't spoke to a Dr. yet because all was good.

The one I just had this week lasted Monday to yesterday. Yesterday at the worst and then in a time frame of 1 hour last afternoon symptoms were completely gone.

My question is, depending on what med is prescribed, do instills remedy IC symptoms immediately or at least for the couple of days that I might flare? I would like to have something on hand for these episodes. I am familiar with instills (see below) but don't know if for immediate relief. Thank you and praise to God.
    Diagnosed with IC sept. 2008, treatment then was hydrodistension, heparin instills for about 4 months and IC diet; symptoms lasted until sept 2009. Then only a couple of relapses overworking, stress etc. Then completely in remission until Jan. 2016 now pretty much symptom free as of mid august 2016.

Symptoms: overall body aches, dryness feeling at vaginal opening, sitting makes it worse, standing makes it worse, stress makes it worse, no frequency or urgency, worse symptom is at night with panging of uretha/bladder.

- went on diet, started Cysto Renew 3/31/16 and yoga at least twice a week.
    - tried uribel but really not for my symptoms since it seems it is for frequency and painful urination which I don't have
    - Ativan when needed to relax.
    - Elmiron only took for a couple of days; didn't like it
    - took atarax 1/2 10mg atarax pill at night really helped but gave me nightmares
    - tramadol worked great for back aches
    - generic claritin D worked best for me for calming bladder down and my panging
    - still taking cysto renew 4x a day and believe this and diet helped the most.
    - took dosage of cysto renew down to 2x a day and still ok

ICN Member

Re: can instills be used for instant relief

I have been doing heparin instills for over 18 months now, and those alone have calmed things down within a couple of hours. It's been a godsend some days for my pain relief. Doing them weekly provides almost a barrier that keeps me feeling well bladder wise. (for me, not everyone responds the same)

There are some instillation solutions that will offer quick relief. I think there's a good chance for relief it contains Lidocaine or Marcaine. And some ICers do them at home. I know of some instances when people do instills every day.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

Living with IC Video Series: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...-video-series/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

ICN Member

thanks this will help with my questions to doc
    Diagnosed with IC sept. 2008, treatment then was hydrodistension, heparin instills for about 4 months and IC diet; symptoms lasted until sept 2009. Then only a couple of relapses overworking, stress etc. Then completely in remission until Jan. 2016 now pretty much symptom free as of mid august 2016.

Symptoms: overall body aches, dryness feeling at vaginal opening, sitting makes it worse, standing makes it worse, stress makes it worse, no frequency or urgency, worse symptom is at night with panging of uretha/bladder.

- tried uribel but really not for my symptoms since it seems it is for frequency and painful urination which I don't have
    - took atarax 1/2 10mg atarax pill at night really helped but gave me nightmares

ICN Member

The Dr. prescribed lidocaine 1% in 50cc vial (dispense 6 vials), heparin 40,000 units in 4ml vial with 10,000 units preferred (dispense 12 vials), and sodium bicarbonate 8.4% in 50cc vial (dispense 1 vial). The problem is that the pharmacies I have been to walgreens and publix say that because the quantity of vials is so small they don't carry those doses. They said that usually if they have to order lidocain and heparin they come in large cartons. One suggestion was to go to an outpatient hospital pharmacy because they have the large stock and can probably dispense the single vials. I haven't called my local hospital yet and CVS said to bring down the prescription.

In the meantime my questions are:

Do others on here that do instills, what form/amount of containers do your lidocaine and heparin come in?
    If similar where to you get yours?
    For the sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) I wonder if that is necessary and if just the lidocaine/heparin combo would be sufficient?

Thread Information