Latest Blog Article: Extreme Heat Prevents Shipping Of CystoProtek & CystoRenew For A Week - June 17-23, 2017

Thread: B12 Injection

B12 Injection

Advertisement :
    I had an appointment with my new doctor Monday and he wound up giving me a B12 injection. I was a little apprehensive because I remember possibly having some flare issues with it about 10 years ago and never attempted again. Anyway, I gave in because my levels were a little low. He's a new functional Medicine doctor and is really trying to help me to feel better. ....but not specifically for IC.
    Whe I spoke to the nurse the next day I told her I thought I was handling it ok but as soon as I hung up the pain started. Nothing changed in my diet. The only thing different was trying to drink more water.....I know I never drink enough. Anyway, sometimes even drinking too much water causes me
    Pain because the bladder stretches and it must irritate the nerve endings and cause a flare. The pain continues yes during the night and through today. I am still feeling pain. I am
    Starting to think the B12 was more of the culprit. Maybe because it was an intramuscular injection it took longer to affect my bladder. Has anyone else had issues with B12 injections? I remember seeing the syringe and it looked like a substantial dose. Probably about half of the syringe ....not the really skinny allergy syringes but the thicker one. Maybe I should try with a tiny amount when this flare subsides and see how it goes....it just give up B12 all together and eat beef livers!!
    Mel

IC, PFD, IBS, Allergies, Chronic Migraines, CVID, Fibromyalgia, CFS, Numerous Laporoscopies for Endometriosis and Adhesions, Hysterectomy 2002

Re: B12 Injection

I hope this flare will pass quickly.

Warm hugs,
    Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

Living with IC Video Series: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...-video-series/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Thank you Donna. Do you know of any IC friendly b12? Maybe sublingual
    drops in the smallest dose...void of any other irritating ingredients? This is just so frustrating.
    Mel

ICN Member

I used a B12 spray that i was ok with however it was methylated which is an issue for a lot of people with certain mutations in our DNA, so the person i'm working with for these issues swapped me to Pure Encapsulations as very pure and not methylated. been absolutely fine.
    (in fact their stuff is very pure and often tolerated by very sensitive people..)

Hi there! B-12 is generally not a problem for IC patients. It is not water soluble and is stored in the body when we get too much. It is not washed out in the urine like many other B vitamins. I hope this encourages you. If you need injections, you need them likely because taking it orally or getting it from food doesn't work for you. People need something called "intrinsic factor" which is produced in the digestive system to absorb B-12. If you have plenty of intrinsic factor, you can take any of the oral methods. If you don't, then you will still need the injections. Hopefully you feel better soon. Sending you understanding hugs....
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Thanks again Julie! I am going to give the b12 injections another try but at a lower dose more frequently. I received a 3 ml injection and in the past b12 has flared me. I'll see how I do with 1 ml. My b12 was a little low so I defnately need it. more beef livers perhaps?
    Mel

Thread Information