Latest Blog Article: Why The IC Network Walked Away From Facebook
    ICN Member

Packaged or canned snacks for IC?

Advertisement :
    Has anyone found any IC friendly canned or packaged foods (meals or snacks)? I'm leaving for university soon and want to have options open in case the dining hall has nothing! I know potato chips are, but any other ideas? I can't have dairy, soy, citrus, or spicy!

ICN Member

Re: Packaged or canned snacks for IC?

I like to keep pre-packaged single serving bags of cashews and almonds around. I'm thinking of trying those (expensive) little packages of almond butter -they even have a maple flavored one. I wonder if you could make chicken or beef jerky without lots of salt or other triggers? Canned tuna in IC safe liquid with crackers?Dried apples.Not really nutritious,but I can eat the Trader Joes lentil curls and their olive oil popped popcorn in a bag.

Yes you can make jerky, you buy a roast slice thin into strips, add a mixture of spices that you can tolerate, cover strips well lay out on a cookie sheet, put in low temp oven, overnight or until it is as dry as you want. You can also use a dehydrator but you don't actually need to buy one.

Google for exact directions.

You can buy liquid smoke flavour, I have no idea if it is safe or not.

I am fine with salt.
    My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

ICN Member

You may be able to contact the food service manager via email before your arrival to check about the plain food you will need.I have had good luck with places like Whole Foods market ($$$) having foods like salmon cooked without sauce in their deli.Many college students get mini fridges for their room too.Coconut yogurt.Peanut or almond butter.

ICN Member

I've never heard of coconut yogurt!!! I'll have to try it!

I wasn't thinking yesterday, there are a few things I do buy ready made. Coconut ribbons, it is just dried coconut, in bigger thicker pieces than backing coconut, read the labels some are just coconut, others are looked with sugar and preservative's.

I am not sure if everyone can eat theses but I have recently started buying Kind Bars,they have quite a few flavores etc. I have only tired the ones that are about 5gms of sugar, there are I think 4 of theses. They are expensive I think as far as a granola type bar goes, but they are nuts, not made with a bunch of fillers. I find if I can get them in a grocery store, sometimes CVS, Walgreens, or Walmart on sale that is the best price. I always carry a couple in my bag, for thoses times you just need something and you can't just pop into a store and find something safe.
    If you can get to a health food store or a whole foods you should be able to find more ready made stuff.
    I buy coconut Mana, sometimes called Coconut butter. I love it, I can eat it right out of the jar. It is made out of just coconut.
    My son took a small fridge for his dorm room, you can then keep some milk, I can eat yogurt, I buy plain and then add a bit if jam fir flavoring. You can find jams ready made with minimum of ingredience.
    I can eat cheese so I make my own Mac and Cheese, freeze it in single serving size, I would send this to school with my son, his dorms had a microwave on each floor.
    The thing is to have safe foods to eat, so that you are not in position to have to eat something not safe.

Hope school goes well for you
    My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

I had a Kind bar this morning! The maple pumpkin seed one. It's gluten free, has oats, millet, quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat and NO chocolate, which I like. I'm not gluten free but I like these enough that I still buy them anyway. I work for a company that produces some of the ingredients for Kind bars. Anyway, other snack I like are:

pistachios, cashews, almonds, raisins, sometimes dried apple, sometimes white chocolate chips
    sunflower seeds
    chia seeds (really good for you I hear) - They definitely get stuck in your teeth though
    pears & blueberries - I know these aren't easy to bring along to college.
    rice crackers, saltines, pretzels occasionally & original goldfish crackers (I have a son who loves these.)
    I like to snack on cereal after work sometimes.
    fig newtons - only the fig kind, the blueberry, raspberry etc. are too sweet for me
    popcorn - That a good snack for college if you have a microwave! Also I'd say to have some oatmeal if you like it. You can find little prepackaged cups of it with some dried berries on top.

Hope you enjoy your time at college!

You could also give Boost and Ensure a try --- they are better chilled; you can get a little refrigerator very inexpensively so you can keep things cold.

Good luck! When you come up with your list, please post for others.

Warm hugs,
    Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

ICN Member

Heard about the coconut yogurt from a vegan friend.

ICN Member

I'll have to go out and try a kind bar!!! I can't eat any cheese, sadly, but I'm wondering if I could do that with soup? I'll have to try it out!

ICN Member

So far on my list for the foods I'm bringing with me for my dorm are coconut shavings (no sugar added), coconut yogurt, trail mix (making my own with almonds, cashews, peanuts, dried blueberries, and dried banana), pre made soup that I'm going to freeze, butternut squash soup that's packaged (no preservative, no citrus), oatmeal (bringing coconut sugar and honey to sweeten naturally). When I get there I'm going to have frozen and fresh blueberries, watermelon, and tons of veggies on hand to keep in my fridge! I emailed the dietician at the school to find out what in the dining hall I can eat and am waiting to hear back!

ICN Member

When my bladder was food sensitive, I had good luck with the following:

Canadian Farm organic vanilla chip granola bars
    Wolfgang Puck organic free range chicken noodle soup (the rest of his organic soups are awful)
    Amy's soups (I liked the organic black bean vegetable)
    Back to Nature cookies and crackers - these can be found at Wal-Mart, Target, Whole Foods, and most grocery stores. Ingredients are healthy and very ic-friendly. I liked the Madagascar Vanilla and Peanut Butter creme sandwich cookies.
    Barbara's Shredded Wheat cold cereal: it has only ONE ingredient. 100% shredded wheat. http://barbaras.com/products/shredde...hredded-wheat/
    Quaker Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, Cream of Rice, and Malt-o-Meal hot cereals

"When you gotta go, you gotta go!"

ICN Member

Have you looked into any vegan "cheese" products? I believe some of them are made from nuts instead of soy.

ICN Member

I have, but all the ones offered contain some form of acid! I tried making mac and "cheese" the other day from a vegan cheese alternative recipe that uses sweet potatoes and needless to say, it tasted like mashed potatoes on pasta! Hahaha never doing that again! Cheese is just something I've accepted I can't have.

Thread Information