Latest Blog Article: Beaumont Study Seeks Women With IC/BPS (Royal Oak, MI)

Please help! What can I use topically for burning Vestibule?

Advertisement :
    Hi everyone
    I have several things going on down there and one of the worst things is that I have a redness , almost a semi circle right under the clitoral area/skin above the urethra. It's one red mean angry sensitive burning spot. I believe it's responsible for the constant feeling of needing to pee especially when I am laying down. (Not 100% sure about anything though).
    I have tried evening primrose oil capsule on it, doesn t have much effect. Vitamin e oil burns a little, estrace burns more, (it's the kind with the chemicals in it) cold water washes after peeing to keep it from getting more irritated, Vaseline tonight but I dont know if it will tone down the redness.
    Anyone have some suggestions for a topical treatment to get rid of the hot red tender spot? I believe it could be vulvodynia or VV and need something. I showed my urogyn who was new, and she said I was dry. (She gave me the estrace and vag Valium for PFD) Vag Valium does nothing. Baking soda sitz=nada.
    i am seeing my reg gyn in a few weeks but need some relief fast. It hurts.
    I have read couple of things could help; vitamin a&d cream, msm gel: what else can I do? I think VV is Causing some of the frequency. Can that be a trigger ??
    I already do the all natural detergents toilet papers no chemicals ic diet and low oxolates baggy pants sitting off to the side of it, desert harvest aloe (May burn jury still out)
    I'd be ever so grateful if someone has a nice soothing ahhhhh treatment for this .....
    Thanks for your support.

ICN Member

Re: Please help! What can I use topically for burning Vestibule?

I found diet, pyridium, prescription lidocaine gel and ointment, and ice packs effective for the burning feeling (at least temporarily ) but really as far the raw red just treating the area very gently was the best thing I could do. Advil helped some for the inflammation. Spritzing or flushing the area with cool water after peeing may help.

I quickly learned to stop experimenting with anything and everything other than what I listed above....aside from the lidocaine anything else I ever applied made things so much worse, whether it was a prescription or over the counter product.

I never tried Calendula cream but Others have mentioned it here.

I agree with Briza. When my vulvodynia was raging in my 20's, the vast majority of creams and OTC products just made it worse. It was like the skin was terribly injured and sensitive and didn't want or need any chemical stimulation at all. Ultimately, what broke me out of that was using that simple peribottle after every bathroom visit to reduce toxins, taking quite a few baking soda sitz baths and, on occasion, using some hydrocortisone. I would have loved to have had some lidocaine jelly back then.

We have those Great Mothers Sitz Bath's in our shop that quite a few patients rave about, especially those recovering from vulvar vestibulitis or episiotomies.

http://www.icnsales.com/great-mothers-sitz-bath.html

That said... if the doctor found dryness, then you have to consider that the quality and health of your skin is compromised due to menopause (me too).. and using an estrogen product to help restore and strengthen that skin may be essential too. Don't think of the estrogen cream is symptom relieving... it doesn't work that way... but over time, it can help improve the overall health of the skin.
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

ICN Member

Agree, the estrogen is quite helpful to many. I know it's not all natural, but I found the over the counter vagisil maximum strength to be less irritating than lidocaine and it worked better for me. It has benzocaine.

ICN Member

Over the years I have found these things to help,most have been suggested by docs. Cold packs for short periods of time, olive oil to keep the area moist, compresses of cooled chamomile tea bags 3x daily. I also use a topical steroid gel Clobetasol 3x a week because of vulvodynia and lichen sclerosus..It took a while to balance everything so please have hope that you will get there too.

To all of you who have responded to my desperate plea for help, thank you!
    It seems like from your responses that I need to protect the red skin with a barrier ointment without chemicals such as Vaseline or an olive oil type thing. I could use a lidocaine gel or ointment for pain/ burning and ice packs as well. Chamomile tea bags would be soothing. And most importantly using cool water washes after each urination

These are all excellent ideas and I immediately tried Vaseline on the red spot and seems to get fairly quick releif from that. I am totally squirting cool water every time I pee.
    I am also resuming the Estrace cream to try to restore some moisture to the tissue to build back it's integrity (if it has any). This time I am inserting the cream and not using on the outside.

I think my last question would be, does that red spot right under the clitoris (the vestibule area that's tucked away behind the labia)
    Sound like its vulvar vestibulitis or vulvodynia? It seems to me that a few doctors have missed it since it is tucked away in there or they just didn't see how red and sore it was?? It seems to make me feel the urge to have to pee and I don't understand that?

What ever the case may be I am taking each of your suggestions to heart and sticking with them. Please know how much your support has meant to me when I thought I might come out of my ever loving skin with pain and frustration.

ICN Member

Sounds like could be VV.
    In my case the redness and rawness and inflammation of my VV was not usually in 1 spot, but more the vestibule all the way around and the inner labia, maybe left side worse, but I've heard of it being localized to one area.

And sometimes I had no visible symptoms, esp in the beginning, but still felt that insane burning.

Clobetasol was one of the first things I was prescribed, it may help some people, but...omg...the flare that caused me! Best always to do a very small test application of anything OTC or prescription, and then wait a few days, to see how you react.
    Last edited by Briza; 04-18-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Burning V update

I think you are right. It has to be VV. I had two decent non painful non burning days with just the Vaseline and cool water washes. But today I used the Estrace internally and I also took a DH aloe cap and the red, angry spot came back!
    So I sat in baking soda sitz bath, flushed it with cool water, Vaseline all over and took a Marshmallow root capsule in case the burn is coming from the bladder.
    Does the urine burn me or is my bladder burning? I am confused but am staring to realize that this pain equals terrible frequency.
    Why does s it get red so fast. External or internal factors?
    Thanks for that information Briza, Jill and all of you.

ICN Member

Re: Burning V update

Songbird I'm so sorry you're dealing with the angry red spot. It's been my experience that VV is just inside the vestibule from 4 to 7 o'clock. It's pain in your vestibular glands and tests can be done by your doctor with a Q-Tip to diagnose it.

Does your angry red spot tear? Or look like the skin has thinned and has tiny little tears in it? Does your skin tear anywhere?

How did your doctors visit go?

Hugs to you!
    Jen

Re: Burning V update

Hi Jen,

I have not seen my regular gyn yet, but I did go to a walk in clinic about a week ago, and she noticed the redness and swabbed for yeast and bv. Both came back negative but she had given me Nystatin powder for the external area and that helped calm some of the irritation ...she said I did have a discharge. Could I have a yeast infection all this time causing frequency and irritation?
    But the red spot could be dryness, I don't know. It's painful to touch. I think it is red around the 4-7 area also, but I don't know if that has always been there....I don't tear but the skin is soooo thin from atrophy and dry too...
    Anything I use topically seems to aggravate me. I tired the Estrace internally and burned like HE**. I am only using a peri water bottle to wash after going to the bathroom.
    Why would the vestibular glands get painful, infection? I don't understand why I can't get any answers. A couple of doctors were startled when I jumped off the table when they parted the labia and I yelled OW!. Isn't that some sort of a clue?
    Thanks for your support and reply. (I dont know much about VV at all I guess).

I'm back. Can anyone please tell me if its ok to use an over the counter mild cortisone cream on the burning red spot inside labia ?
    I didn't want the Clobestol because of your reports on severe burning.
    Does anyone know if a dab of cortisone cream may help there? I just have the one area that's kind of tucked up above the urethral area.
    I just used a dab of vitamin e oil but it's inflamed and thought the cortisone may tame it a little. Any input would be much appreciated.

ICN Member

I would proceed with caution with anything applied topically. Very small dose, then wait a day or three to see if you react. maybe you can dilute the dose by mixing with Vaseline before applying?

Can you tolerate NSAIDs, like Advil or Alleve? If you can, you might try taking regularly for a week or two and see if that helps with the inflammation.

If your are sexually active it may be crucial that you abstain.

So sorry you are dealing with this. I am better now but I suffered badly with VV for many years. Doctors weren't any help in my case. I had a biopsy done , all it showed was inflammation. I just kinda figured out on my own what helped and what didn't for the symptoms.

The thing that has helped me the most for inflammatory issues (I had many...VV & IC among others, and i am now healed from all) is a whole foods plant - based diet. I can't recommend it highly enough. If all else fails..it's worth it to try for 30 days.
    Last edited by Briza; 07-29-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Briza,
    Thank you so kindly for responding. I am super careful of putting anything on the skin down there.
    I occasionally use the Vaseline as a barrier or vitamin E oil but that's all. Since it had gotten more red and burning I thought I could try an otc cortisone but didn't dare make things worse.
    Is the plant food diet high in oxolates? I'm extremely cautious with everything that enters my mouth. I even cut out the raw
    Spinach everyday, lowered peanut butter and my whole grains but I need something healthy. Does the food cause the vestibule to get inflamed from the oxolates in the urine?
    I also use a peri wash bottle after each pee to keep it off the skin and I am not sexually active becasue it's too painful, dry, and the urethral area is always tender and sore.
    What caused your VV? And is that when the skin inside the inner labia gets red, sore and feels
    Like nerve pain?

ICN Member

Songbird so sorry this has not resolved for you. I have had my own issues with VV that eventually reared its ugly head as Lichen Sclerosis. Fortunately, for me, a combination of Clobetasol (which is prescribed for VV also) and Estrace along with dietary changes has put me in a better place with LS and IC. (I won't say the "R" word &#128522 I'd be happy to share my story more if you would like but some people just don't want to hear about steroids and creams and medicines. I will say that I agree with Briza that the whole foods diet is ultimately the game changer with or without meds. I do believe flooding your system with whole foods is inevitably the best possible scenario with any autoimmune disease. But, in your state, you need something to calm your skin down and that's where the meds worked for me and took my skin to a place that allowed for healing. It was the combination that helped me heal. Sure, I still have a bout of cystitis here and there or a bout of vulvar pain here or there but I know what to do now. Eventually it will become few and far between, and hopefully, like Briza, NEVER again!

Luv
    Thank you for responding to my desperate plea. I don't mind hearing about more creams and steroids at all.
    I just wish I knew if I truly have nerve pain under the clitoral area or if it's related to the surface itself. It does get red and painful and then I feel like I have to pee every half hour or so.
    My frustration is to tears since I'm doing everything under the sun to improve myself and have been doing so for two years now.
    If I lightly touch that little area with a dab of Vaseline or vitamin e oil then the pain is horrific. And once I touch it the pain lingers for a long time. Not touching it at all is the only way it won't hurt.
    Would touching either VV or vulvodynia hurt like that and have delayed pain or am I just fooling myself and in denial that I have pudendal nerve damage?

Thread Information