Latest Blog Article: New IC Patient Survey From USC Seeks To Understand The Impact of Diagnostic Delays In Women With IC/BPS.

Could Benefiber be causing my flare?

Advertisement :
    I have IBS, predominantly C. The amitriptyline has really made it much worse. I started taking Benefiber a little over a week ago. It is helping the C. However, I started having a bladder flare about 5 days ago and I can't seem to pinpoint why this is happening and I was wondering if it possibly could be the Benefiber I drink every morning. Apparently, it is made from wheat dextrin. I have no idea if that could cause a flare. Anyone else flare with Benefiber?

I was thinking about trying another fiber source. What about Metamucil Clear or Fibersure (if they even make that one anymore).

I guess I'll have to stop taking the Benefiber to really know if it's the cause. I really need a fiber supplement right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Jane
    Diagnosed 1/7/14 via cysto/hydro

Current Treatment:
    10 mg amitriptyline, DH Aloe Vera

Used During Flares:
    Uribel, extra DH Aloe Vera, Klonopin and Tramadol (as needed)

Practicing bladder training and stress control (hot baths, pelvic stretching)
    Recently tried PT, do not appear to have PFD

Things that have not helped in the past:
    Oxybutynin, Vesicare, Pyridium, Myrbetriq, Vagifem

Also have migraines and IBS

ICN Member

Re: Could Benefiber be causing my flare?

if it has any citrus flavor or preservativest, it could totally be bothering you.I have IBS-C too, and I saw a doctor recently who basically cured my constipation. it was MIRACULOUS. she suggested that instead of 1 probiotic a day, I take 4-5. It's called superdosing. It has made me SOOO much better. I also want to try amitriptyline but I am afraid it will cause constipation. Do you take probiotics?

Unfortunately, every time I have tried a probiotic, I get a headache from it. I am very prone to migraines. I have only tried a few different probiotics, though, so there might be one that doesn't cause a headache for me.
    Jane

Current Treatment:

Used During Flares:

Probiotics are a problem for me too. I think about the only way to find out if a particular item is a problem is to go without it for a few days. If you read labels carefully you might be able to find a different fiber source to try temporarily. It certainly can be frustrating, can't it?

Sending gentle hugs,
    Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

ICN Member

Elavil helps my pain but does the same thing too my IBS. So I asked my doctor for prescription miralax because it can get expensive. It mostly helps. I usually take it every couple days because it will be too much otherwise.

My IBS flip flops, so it is a pain.

Yeah, miralax works very well for me. I was just hoping to take something natural like fiber, if possible. I am stopping the Benefiber today to see if my flare does down.

ICN Member

I actually think I read somewhere that fiber makes it worse if it is because of medication.

I took that once, and it did nothing, Miralax works pretty well. Sometimes I have to take it twice a day.

Things are sometime really complicated ... I don't know what you can find on the US market, but you could try natural flax seed. If cooked with water it develops some sort of mucus that is also very good for the stomach.
    Hope you find something!
    Best
    Pernille
    Struggling with urethral pain for 19 years. When it started in 95 I was told this was psychosomatic. I coped quite well with lots of remissions. Just when I got nervous and was stressed I had urethral pain and felt like I had to pee all the time.
    Cysto/hydro with biopsies in 2012, result: no IC. Had a first, second and third opinion and the result was always PFD or chronic pelvic pain syndrome. I encourage everyone with these symptoms to get a proper diagnosis! I am doing physiotherapy based on yoga exercises, I had been pain free for almost a year... Now unfortunately it is back. So I am still struggeling
    Greetings from Denmark!

Ceera, you are absolutely right that some people are constipated by fiber... I am one of them. I was eating high fiber cereals in the morning, whole wheat breads, brown rice, veggies, etc. I was so constipated. I read online that eating soluble fiber helps more for people like me, so I cut out all the high, insoluble fiber and it did help. Actually, the Benefiber was helping me go every other day, but it still want super easy.

Pernille, nice to hear from you!

Yes, I eat alot of flax seeds that I buy whole and grind in my coffee grinder. But I've never soaked them and drank the water. I heard it's slimey! Lol.

How are you feeling these days?

ICN Member

I have IBS too (mostly D) and I get constipated by the meds too. I use lactulose which seems to help pretty well without any side effects.
    Male (45) living in Oslo, Norway. Diagnosed (cysto) with BPS/IC with Hunner's lesions on 23 Nov 2015.
    Symptoms: severe bladder pain, bladder cramps, urethral burning, painful urination, rectal spasms, acute retention (requiring self catheterization).
    Treatment: successful hydro w/fulguration on 21 Dec 2015. Complications due to blood clots in bladder, second surgery cleaned it out. Currently on weekly Uracyst instillations. Almost symptom free!
    Other diseases: IBS and chronic asthma, both of which are under control through meds and diet.

ICN Member

Benefiber didn't bother my bladder but ironically it made me much more constipated. Miralax didn't bother my bladder either but it did help me to go.
    Interesting a few of you are bothered by probiotics. I don't respond well to too high of a dose of probiotics.It hurts my bladder. Right now I take one that I seem to do ok with but am curious to see how I would feel bladder wise if I just cut it out for awhile. Might try it come the new year....

Well today is day 2 with no Benefiber and I already started to feel better yesterday. The only thing I changed was the Benefiber, so I have to assume that it's that. Or it's just coincidence. I guess I'll never know. I am just using Miralax for now. I ordered Heather's Tummy Care Acacia and it should be here soon.
    Jane

Current Treatment:

Used During Flares:

ICN Member

I have found that when taking any fiber, if I don't drink enough water with it, it will stop me up something awful.

Thread Information