Latest Blog Article: How To Stop A Diet Induced Flare - An Essential Holiday Survival Tip
    ICN Member

Question High prolactin levels & low estrogen?

Advertisement :
    I've finally received my hormone test results today, to which I was told that my prolactin levels are pretty darn high, while my estrogen levels are very low. This is the reason I have had problems with my period (unless I take medications, I don't get one), so now I have an MRI scheduled to confirm the cause of it.

I asked the doctor if this could be linked with what is happening with my urinary problems, and she said no, however I've read enough myself online to see there is a link between low estrogen levels and IC. I will need to discuss this with my urologist, though not sure if he's going to be any wiser on the matter.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Would love to hear from you.

Re: High prolactin levels & low estrogen?

For some women, low estrogen is most definitely a cause of IC problems. My uro, who has over 600 IC patients and has been practicing for many years, agrees. There are estrogen receptors in our bladders, so it can directly affect it. However, to confuse the matter, some women do better on progesterone! It's a matter of trial and error sometimes. My IC problems started at age 40 (I'm 44 now) when my periods cycles started shrinking and acting weird. I am convinced that hormones play a part for me. I tried progesterone cream for about a week, and got the worst flare I've had in a long time. Fortunately, a day after stopping, it calmed down. I may be one who needs more estrogen. I'm still trying to figure it all out!
    Jane
    Diagnosed 1/7/14 via cysto/hydro

Current Treatment:
    10 mg amitriptyline, DH Aloe Vera

Used During Flares:
    Uribel, extra DH Aloe Vera, Klonopin and Tramadol (as needed)

Practicing bladder training and stress control (hot baths, pelvic stretching)
    Recently tried PT, do not appear to have PFD

Things that have not helped in the past:
    Oxybutynin, Vesicare, Pyridium, Myrbetriq, Vagifem

Also have migraines and IBS

ICN Member

Low estrogen definitely contributes to my bladder problems. I use compounded vaginal estrogen and if I miss a dose my bladder immediately starts to hurt and burn. Jo Ann

I don't think there's any question that varying hormone levels can effect IC symptoms. I hope that what you learn through testing will help get the IC under control.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

ICN Member

Hi. I have had significant IC symptoms for about 4 months but I can say that the first ever time I had any issue with my bladder was when I had the Mirena progesterone only IUD put in almost 3 years ago. I am almost 34 and have just privately tested my hormone levels and my Oestradiol is very low. This potentially explains why my flares seem to be cyclical but never 100% go away ( gp suspected endometreosis but gynae is doubtful as periods fairly light and not painful ). My gynae suggested the combined pill to even out my hormones but I'm very keen to find out why my hormones are out of whack. It could be early menopause but my fsh is normal. Did you find out the cause of your low Estrogen?

ICN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumoftwo83 View Post
    Hi. I have had significant IC symptoms for about 4 months but I can say that the first ever time I had any issue with my bladder was when I had the Mirena progesterone only IUD put in almost 3 years ago. I am almost 34 and have just privately tested my hormone levels and my Oestradiol is very low. This potentially explains why my flares seem to be cyclical but never 100% go away ( gp suspected endometreosis but gynae is doubtful as periods fairly light and not painful ). My gynae suggested the combined pill to even out my hormones but I'm very keen to find out why my hormones are out of whack. It could be early menopause but my fsh is normal. Did you find out the cause of your low Estrogen?
    Hello and sorry in advance for any language mistakes but English is not my mother tongue..
    I am only 31 years old and I have many perimenopausal symptoms but every doctor I have visited keep saying that I am too young. Last week I was diagnosed with IC, because my urinalysis test showed pyosfairia and traces of hemoglobin. I had also privately run my hormones twice and my FSH was not really that high ( 9,99 and 10,54) my estradiol was ( 55 and 48,42). My LH level was ( 11,7 and 10,5 )
    I have regular periods every 28 days but my period lasts 2 days with normal flow and on 3 and 4 day I am only spotting.

I believe that I have a weird for my young age hormonal imbalance and that's why I have cystitis and now the pain is unbearable like knives on my waistline.

May I ask you about your hormone levels? Did you find the cause of your low estrogen?

p.s In the past I had been diagnosed with PCOS Syndrome ( no cysts on my ovaries)
    Thank you

Thread Information