Latest Blog Article: Beaumont Study Seeks Women With IC/BPS (Royal Oak, MI)
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    ICN Member

Can someone share if they ever had blood in urine without an infection present.

Advertisement :
    I had my urine tested before my last installation. I get installations once a month for three years since my diagnosis. I don't follow diet and I pretty much take my medication every day one dose in the morning before my low acid coffee that I purchase at World Market. I have very few flareups but when I do I take another dose of Elmiron and prelief . So my last doctor put me on that line of tx, but he no longer accepts my insurance, so I have a new doctor who pretty much let me continue the treatment as it was previously recommended. This new doctor does takes a urine sample every month and this time he told me that there was blood. He took a second sample directly from the bladder while doing the instillation. The blood was still present. Is that a normal thing to have with this condition? I am quite concerned it my be caused by something serious as I feel good and have no other issues presently. Please reply soon, I will get the results next week and I am a little anxious. Thanks everyone.

ICN Member

Re: Can someone share if they ever had blood in urine without an infection present.

My bladder was hurting extra bad recently. I'd been doing instillations for 6 weeks. There was no infection but the dr said I had blood in my urine and he thought it was probably from cathing .

ICN Member

Re: Can someone share if they ever had blood in urine without an infection present.

I don't think that it is a huge concern. I know when I am flaring I have had microscopic blood in my urine sample. How much Elmiron are you on? I am on 4 pills a day, 2 in am & pm. It is my understanding that it takes months to build up in your system/bladder. You should really try to follow the diet a bit more. The foods you ingest could be doing more damage to your bladder than you are aware of. It's tough, I know! Hopefully your results will be just fine.

It's not unusual to have microscopic blood in the urine with IC. If you have an increase in pain, you can ask to be tested again since blood can also be a sign of infection. I almost always have microscopic blood in my urine caused by my IC.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

ICN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie Marie View Post
    I had my urine tested before my last installation. I get installations once a month for three years since my diagnosis. I don't follow diet and I pretty much take my medication every day one dose in the morning before my low acid coffee that I purchase at World Market. I have very few flareups but when I do I take another dose of Elmiron and prelief . So my last doctor put me on that line of tx, but he no longer accepts my insurance, so I have a new doctor who pretty much let me continue the treatment as it was previously recommended. This new doctor does takes a urine sample every month and this time he told me that there was blood. He took a second sample directly from the bladder while doing the instillation. The blood was still present. Is that a normal thing to have with this condition? I am quite concerned it my be caused by something serious as I feel good and have no other issues presently. Please reply soon, I will get the results next week and I am a little anxious. Thanks everyone.
    Thank you all who replied to my thread so far, I will take Malinda's advice on my diet, as I have not been following it very closely and just going by my pain levels. I take one elmiron in the morning and I am good for the day. I also get one installation a month. This has been working for nearly four years since I was first diagnosed with this disease. My doctor mentioned the C word and kidney problems as a reason for the blood and that scared me. But here's the thing I had a root canal done that day as well, and when the dentist gave me four shots of Novocaine I had some bleeding in my mouth and could taste blood. Maybe that might have contributed to the microscopic blood in my urine as it was only with an hour of getting the urine test done. I will update you all on this so if this ever happens to any you, you can use the information and not have to worry.

ICN Member

The bleeding in your mouth would not cause blood to show in your urine. However, if your bladder is inflamed and irritated, that can cause some microscopic bleeding.

I have been having microscopic blood in my urine since I had a UTI back in the end of January of this year. It is definitely due to inflammation and irritation. Kind of like if you have a sore on your hand and you irritate it, it will sometimes bleed a little. Well the bladder with IC is usually raw and tender and when you have urine pouring in on top of it, it gets even more irritated which can cause some bleeding.

Thank you all who replied to my thread so far, I will take Malinda's advice on my diet, as I have not been following it very closely and just going by my pain levels. I take one elmiron in the morning and I am good for the day. I also get one installation a month. This has been working for nearly four years since I was first diagnosed with this disease. My doctor mentioned the C word and kidney problems as a reason for the blood and that scared me. But here's the thing I had a root canal done that day as well, and when the dentist gave me four shots of Novocaine I had some bleeding in my mouth and could taste blood. Maybe that might have contributed to the microscopic blood in my urine as it was only with an hour of getting the urine test done. I will update you all on this so if this ever happens to any you, you can use the information and not have to worry.

ICN Member

The bleeding in your mouth would not cause blood to show in your urine. However, if your bladder is inflamed and irritated, that can cause some microscopic bleeding.

I have been having microscopic blood in my urine since I had a UTI back in the end of January of this year. It is definitely due to inflammation and irritation. Kind of like if you have a sore on your hand and you irritate it, it will sometimes bleed a little. Well the bladder with IC is usually raw and tender and when you have urine pouring in on top of it, it gets even more irritated which can cause some bleeding.

ICN Member

Thank you for that information. I really can't say that my bladder is irritated as I have no discomfort at this time. I do know when I have a flare up and it is spasms based on the right or left side of my bladder. I guess I just have to wait for the results and wonder until then what is happening.

ICN Member

Well my results came back normal, no infection and no abnormal blood cells, whew! I now have burning in the uretha area of which I put some Lidocaine gel and it is helping. My doctor's nurse told me to get an otc urine test for infection if this continues. I really need to take better care of my bladder and eat and drink things that don't upset it. Thanks for you concerns and replies. I will take any advice regarding my diet you care to give me.

ICN Member

I used to have blood in urine many years, just some months ago after long time Uracyst instills it is better. But you really should stick with diet to get better.

ICN Member

Donna, I went to the doctor and the microscopic blood is still present in my urine. How long did it show up in your urine sample. The doctor wants me to get a biopsy of my bladder to be sure it is not more serious, like cancer. He said it could be coming from anywhere in the system, kidneys, liver, etc. Just would like your experience with this blood in urine matter. My doctor is freaking my out. I don't know what to think.

ICN Member

I've had microscopic blood in my urine on and off for 20 years. I suspect that's how long I've actually had IC even though I wasn't diagnosed until a few years ago. Even though I'm in remission and have no symptoms at all now I still show some microscopic blood now and then.

ICN Member

Thanks earthlady for replying so quickly, what got you into remission after so many years of having this dreadful curse of a disease? I've had it for four years and after the first diagnosis I went into remission for nearly all of the four years and now it is back with a vengeance. I am on Oxydrol patches and they are barely helping, do you know how long before they kick in. I started yesterday. I bought test strips to make sure my urine stays balanced and so far I have been keeping it less acidic. I bought prelief as well to see if it would help. I have a burning sensation after urinating and urgency and frequency. I quit the gym so I could stay home near my bathroom. Life is awful these days, I only hope all I have is IC and nothing more serious. I am so depressed. Thanks to this forum I have some hope for the future, God knows no one else can even relate to this, least of all my significant other. He probably thinks I am over reacting to all of this. Keep posting any info any of you have that can help

I've always had microscopic blood in my urine if I'm flaring. I consider that normal for IC. It's the visible blood that you have to be more aggressive about.

As to not following the diet...if you're drinking strong acids, that could scour the wall and produce more blood too. Following the diet or atleast avoiding the strong acid and caffeinated foods is really the foundation of care. It's worthy trying for a few months to see if that makes your symptoms improve and, ideally, resolve!

Jill
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

ICN Member

Jill, I have been sticking to the diet without fail for two weeks now, my doctor has me on Oxytrol patches which I have only used for 24 hours but it seems to relieve the urgency a bit. You say you have blood during a flare up. Has your doctor ever shown concern over this? I am glad you said it is normal to have microscopic blood in urine when there is a flare up. I am certainly having one. Has anyone used meds for urgency and frequency and for how long. Has it helped? Also, I purchased a test kit to test the acidity in my urine and I am getting the acid content lower, except in the morning when it is at its highest.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information