Latest Blog Article: Beaumont Study Seeks Women With IC/BPS (Royal Oak, MI)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ICN Member

Success eating at Disneyworld

Advertisement :
    Hi ladies and gents! The summer season is upon us and I know WDW is a popular travel destination, so I wanted to share with you my successful tips on visiting Disney. I was going to post this in the vacation forum, but no one ever goes there, and since its related to food, I'm posting it here.

Firstly, Disney is awesome at accommodating those of us with food allergies ( sounds a lot nicer than telling them eating certain things will set your bladder on fire. Lol) At the counter service restaurants, almost every podium has a book with the ingredients list. Just ask them to see it so you can avoid your triggers. At the table service restaurants , let the waiter know you have alot of food allergies, and they'll either bring out the chef or find out what is in the dish you're considering. They were very accommodating to me and I was able to enjoy a lot of things I thought I'd have to sacrifice, because I "assumed" they included things I couldn't have. I know everyone is different, but I am including some of the things I ate because I feel a lot of you should be able to eat them without any problems and I want you to enjoy yourself as much as possible. So, here's a list of some of the goodies I enjoyed on our trip,

Starbucks! Disney has partnered with them and there is a Starbucks at every park now. I was so excited when we walked down Main St and saw the sign, I enjoyed several Vanilla Bean Frapps during the trip, and my husband loves their coffee. Win-Win!

Columbia Harbor House at the MK-
    My husband is a part time vegetarian (ha ha)so we tried this place out. I checked the ingredients list and got the fried shrimp platter. It came with steamed broccoli. Very good.
    Be Our Guest- Prime rib sandwich. I talked to the chef and had them omit the sauces. It was still very god. And they have the best pommes frites. (French fries)

Hollywood Studios- ABC Commisary-
    Cheeseburger plain w/ fries
    Vanilla bean frapp
    I wasn't sure about the popcorn, so I brought a snack size bag of boom chick a pop and ate it during Fantasmic.

Animal Kingdom-

Restaurantosaurus-Angus cheeseburger w/ fries.
    Soft serve vanilla ice cream

Epcot- Ah- dessert heaven. I think my taste buds had the most fun here.

Canada-
    Le Cellier- Filet mignon- no sauce, but they brought me some butter to put on it and mushroom risotto. Still so delicious.

France-
    La Boulangerie de Pattiserie- white chocolate eclair (Thank God for white chocolate!) And Napoleons. The Napoleon top had a little chocolate mixed in, so I let my husband eat it. There is also a new ice cream place in France right next to the bakery. The Dulce de Leche ice cream upis divine!

Germany- caramel popcorn. They make it fresh at the candy store. You can smell it as sion as you enter Germany. I always buy a large bag and gobble it up. They also sell Werthers originals here.
    Pretzel- right across from the candy store. There is a small booth that sells homemade German pretzels.

China- egg rolls at Lotus Blossom Cafe- they do not use MSG.

Mexico- We didn't eat at any of the restaurants here, but they had a small booth set up for the Food and Wine festival selling rice pudding. It was good and did not bother me.

Gift shop- UK
    White chocolate snow bears. I found these cookies and the ingredients were very simple. No preservatives. They are in a blue box.

Various gift shops throughout the parks-
    Mickeys shortbread cookies by Walkers, Somehow these taste better than other Walkers cookies. Hmmm......must be that Disney magic!

A few more tips.
    1. Carry some of your own snacks. I had Werther's in my backpack and I bought mini bags of popcorn by boom chick a pop at Target for nighttime shows since I wasn't sure about their popcorn. I also got an insulated thermos and carried unsweetened vanilla almond milk with me. I sipped it throughout the day to counteract any minor no-nos I could have unintentionally encountered. I also carried Evian around with me.

2. Don't overexert yourself. I didn't know how I would handle the rough rides, so I only did them once. By rough rides, I mean Space Mountain and Everest. I still felt a little icky afterwards, but it passed within a few hours. I was also constipated that day, so it may not have been the rides.

3. If you have a car, go offgrounds to eat sometimes. They have all the major chain restaurants in Orlando, and you can stick with your safe foods since you know what you can eat there.

4. If you're driving a full day to get there, split the drive into two days. You don't want to end up with a sore bladder before you're trip even begins from a 10 hr car ride.

I hope you guys have a great time if you're going to Disney and it can be as normal for you as possible. As I stated before, everyone is different, but I tend to stay away from anything that is not on the " usually OK list", so i think there's lots of common ground here.
    When I first found out I had ic my first thought was that vacations would never be the same again, and I am so grateful to discover with careful planning, taking my medications, and sticking to the diet, I could not gave been more wrong.
    Last edited by icnmgrjill; 04-30-2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Just added the bold face to make this a little easier to read! Great post!

Re: Success eating at Disneyworld

Thank you for sharing! This question comes up frequently.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

ICN Member

That's great. I have been getting very discouraged with restaurants. I have had a few incidents recently where I thought the dish would be fine, but it came out with ingredients that were problematic and not mentioned on the menu! I feel like plan A is to become one of those annoying, high maintenance type people who intimidate the wait staff, make it all about them, ask too many questions, make too many demands...Or plan B-stay out of restaurants. I seriously need a plan C. How do others get the necessary information and politely relate to staff to make this work???

ICN Member

SDM, don't be afraid to ask them about every little ingredient. Tell them you have severe allergies and absolutely cannot have certain foods. Make them understand how serious you are, while remaining composed about it. A little embarrassment is worth you not writhing around in pain a few hours later. If they can't tell you everything that's in it, ere on the side of caution and choose something else. They're not perfect and sometimes do mess things up, but mostly this method works, The way I look at it is , I may be a huge pain in the hiney, but at least I'm a pain in the hiney who won't be spending the rest of the day on the couch! Lol

ICN Member

You're welcome Donna. I want all us ic'ers to live as normal a life as possible

ICN Member

Thank you so much for this! I hope it becomes a trend of others relating their experiences on vacation destinations. This is great!

ICN Member

WOW! This is great!! Maybe we should start a special section for Travel?
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My blog on IC, adoption, and academia: the garlic whisperer

Diagnosed Jan 2013. Currently taking:

200mg Elmiron morning and night
    25mg Elavil at night (no drowsiness or weight gain)
    culturelle in the morning
    SLIT drops for allergies (environmental) 3 drops/night under the tongue
    zyrtec 24 hour nightly (recommended by uro)
    Instillations 3x/week: Parson's Solution
    uribel and prelief as needed

Also took Desert Harvest Aloe (3 in the morning and 3 at night) for a year and had great luck.
    No longer need them, so I only take them during flares.

ICN Member

I just retired in December and any vacation plans I may want to consider have been put on hold for the time being because of my IC. I haven't taken a real vacation in 6 yrs. And now with IC, I've been wondering how I'd manage travel while trying to deal with frequency, urgency, pain and IC friendly meals. Your detailed description of your pleasant and varied eating experience at Disney World gives me hope that one day when I do take a vacation, I can do the same. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. It was almost like being there!

Oh... one other thing. I've never been one to frequent Starbucks or any coffee house for that matter. But there's one about a mile from my house. After reading what you said about the Vanilla Bean Frappe, I was determined to try one. After I picked up my prescription for hydroxyzine that my new urologist prescribed for me, I made a bee line for Starbucks. I'm slurping down the Vanilla Bean Frappe as I type this. IT IS DELISH!!!! I wouldn't have known anything about it had it not been for your post, so thanks again!!
    Last edited by Bladderella; 04-30-2014 at 12:03 PM.

"When you gotta go, you gotta go!"

ICN Member

GayleK and miniguinea73, I totally agree that we should have a travel section. This place has been a huge crutch for me, and when I am not able to cook, I highly depend on comments from other ic'ers on what's most likely safe to eat on the road. In fact, I'm going to Yellowstone and Glacier national park in June, so if anyone has been there and has advice for me, please pm me.

Bladerella, I am so sorry you're having a hard time with your ic right now. Hopefully your new doctor can find what works for you and help you heal. Its sad you haven't gone anywhere in 6 yrs. Maybe you could do a weekend getaway to a beach town ( get a beach front room, so the bathroom is nearby) or you could rent a house/cabin and cook your own food. Who knows, you might even feel better on vacation, since ic is triggered by stress! I was terrified to take my first vacation to Gatlinburg last June, as I had just been diagnosed in December (but I had the symptoms for many years). I really didn't want to go, but my family begged me. They rented a cabin, so i could make my own meals. I assumed I'd spend most of my time laying around, but that didn't happen. I was actually able to hike, go on rides and play with my nephew. I only had one bad day and that was because I decided to eat cheap sandwich bread ( boy, did I learn from that mistake!) I think the beauty of the mountains just melted the stress away and calmed my bladder. Same thing at Disney. I had warned my husband this would be a low key trip and I'd probably be hitting every park bench and taking in shows all day to get off my feet. Instead, I was darting around the parks and gobbling up every ic friendly dessert I could find. Just take it in baby steps and see how you do. You might surprise yourself and feel 100% better. Plus, you just retired, you need a trip to celebrate that

I am glad I could give you hope. Please don't ever let that go. You will get better. Just have to learn what makes your bladder the most happy! And enjoy those Vanilla Bean frappucinos. I get one at least once a week. Good luck and God bless

Awesome suggestions! You should connect up with our moderator Julie Beyer RD (author of the Confident Choices cookbooks). Disneyworld is one of her favorite places to be!

Jill

Oh and I'll happily put a travel board up!
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

ICN Member

Jill, that would be great. I know there was a travel section when I first joined but no one ever posted anything. Maybe it could be titled Trip Reports and be close to the link to the diet section. thx!

ICN Member

Thanks so much, Jill.
    I'll have to get in touch with Julie. Maybe she could help me increase my Disney food list or offer additional tips. Trip reports section would be great. A section for upcoming travel plans would be nice too. Maybe the locals from the area we are traveling to could chime in on safe eats

ICN Member

So excited to see this thread and also the travel thread idea!! There are other great Disney comments posted back on 1-29-2011 that could be added. I would have linked it here but I'm on phone and couldn't get the link to copy correctly. Maybe someone else can grab and post here.

Thanks for all the tips!!

ICN Member

Thank you so much for posting this!!! I am going to disney in four weeks and I have been sooooooo worried about it. I have had ic just since February and I am still learning. I booked the trip in January and then got sick. I almost cancelled the whole trip. I have two small children and we have been anticipating this trip forever. I can not thank u enough for this info!!! I am not as worried now and can look forward to making new memories. By the way I think I will go to Starbucks this am!! I miss Starbucks so much and didn't know about the frapp.

ICN Member

Enjoy your trip praying mommy and let us know if you find any more foods that we can add to the list. Disney is always upgrading their menus, so I'm sure there have been new foods introduced since our last visit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information