Latest Blog Article: Why The IC Network Walked Away From Facebook
    ICN Member

What about Vita Coco pure coconut water?

Advertisement :
    I noticed some people saying they are drinking coconut water...the common one I've seen on the market is the VITA COCO coconut water..but on the label, it has 100% vitamin C and 620mg Pottassium... which looks like the opposite of IC friendly..

Is this drink a problem? and is it anything has high pottassium, say above 250mg, then its a NO?? quite confused..

Re: What about Vita Coco pure coconut water?

I suspect potassium is feared because of the potassium sensitivity test, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a problem when eaten. And potassium deficiency can be very serious. I think of it like I do salt --- if I put salt on an open wound, it's going to hurt! But if I put that same salt on an egg and eat it, no pain results. My suggestion is to pick a day when you feel good and try just a little bit --- like 1/4 of a cup --- to see if it bothers you. I tried it with no problem, but I personally was disappointed with the taste.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

ICN Member

Thanks for your suggestion, donna.
    My urologist diagnosed me of IC recently without the procedure, neither pottassium sensitivity nor hydro, which many ppl mentione here. He only asks me to try the Elmiron for 3 months to see it will improve my symptom. I asked him about the pottassium sensitivity test, he said he typically doesn't do that, if I really want to confirm, he will only do the hydro- one...Is the pottassium test incommon for those urologists to proceed?

Quote Originally Posted by sillyhippoc View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion, donna.
    My urologist diagnosed me of IC recently without the procedure, neither pottassium sensitivity nor hydro, which many ppl mentione here. He only asks me to try the Elmiron for 3 months to see it will improve my symptom. I asked him about the pottassium sensitivity test, he said he typically doesn't do that, if I really want to confirm, he will only do the hydro- one...Is the pottassium test incommon for those urologists to proceed?
    I think it's an opinion thing. My urologist doesn't do the potassium test either --- he doesn't feel it's reliable --- but I know some urologists feel it's the best tool.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Aside from maybe increasing frequency a bit there should be no issues with pure coconut water. If you're unsure about buying it prepackaged you can always buy young coconuts and drink the water straight from the coconut.
    I personally don't care for the taste of coconut water so decided to try virgin coconut oil instead. I find it to be more palatable especially since it can be used in recipes....and it provides the same health benefits.

Happy new year!

Diana
    (\__/)
    (o.O )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

ICN Member

I drink it in my smoothies and I do ok with it.

Oh, and be careful. Sometimes if you drink too much it can have a little...um...how do I say this...affect in your bowels. Sorta like if you drink too much apple cider? When I lived in Jamaica, I drank a lot of coconut water because they sell them on the side of the street and they just open up the coconut and add a straw. YUM! but drinking too many will hit you hard, so just be careful. If you haven't had coconut water, I would try a little and see how you do.
    Last edited by miniguinea73; 12-31-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: forgot to add...
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My blog on IC, adoption, and academia: the garlic whisperer

Diagnosed Jan 2013. Currently taking:

200mg Elmiron morning and night
    25mg Elavil at night (no drowsiness or weight gain)
    culturelle in the morning
    SLIT drops for allergies (environmental) 3 drops/night under the tongue
    zyrtec 24 hour nightly (recommended by uro)
    Instillations 3x/week: Parson's Solution
    uribel and prelief as needed

Also took Desert Harvest Aloe (3 in the morning and 3 at night) for a year and had great luck.
    No longer need them, so I only take them during flares.

When I get diarrhea, I use Zola Coconut Water Natural. I blend a small amount with crushed ice. I bought it at Safeway. Coconut water is what many developing nations use for rehydration, since they don't have Gatorade (which has colorants and seems more chemical).
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Quote Originally Posted by sillyhippoc View Post
    I noticed some people saying they are drinking coconut water...the common one I've seen on the market is the VITA COCO coconut water..but on the label, it has 100% vitamin C and 620mg Pottassium... which looks like the opposite of IC friendly..

Is this drink a problem? and is it anything has high pottassium, say above 250mg, then its a NO?? quite confused..
    I buy my coconut water from the healthfood store and the ingredients are just coconut water
    Daughter your faith has made you well,go in peace, and be healed of your disease.(Mark 5:34)

Tried:
    Detrol:only took one pill and it made me sick
    Elmiron:caused horrible pain(took 1 week)
    CystaQ:caused alot of burning and pain(only took one pill)
    Wellbutrin:only on it for three days as it caused alot of bladder pain
    Elavil:Took one pill and it caused a flare that lasted almost two weeks. It was the longest flare I've ever had. Never again..ouch
    Prelief:made my bladder burn and feel tingly.

Take:
    Uracyst:Started May 19 2011
    Enablex:take one pill daily with no issues
    Naproxen:for pain as needed
    Baking Soda with water:as needed and it's a God send. It brings down my pain within 20 mins.
    Venofer: Started April 2012 by IV for low Iron. I do not tolerate oral Iron so this is the route I had to take.Does not bother my bladder but did have other side effects. I take Benedryl with each treatment to avoid side effects.
    Supplements:Whey Protein powder daily
    Dessert Harvest Aloe It has been helping alot but I can only take it every two days as my "die off" reaction has been severe.

I this is an older thread but I drank this water yesterday and got a TERRIBLE flare. I probably went to the bathroom 15 times from 8:00 - 11:00. Then I took some baking soda and water and felt better almost immediately. With the cost and taste of this water, it won't be hard to not drink it again. For me this was anything but IC friendly.
    Currently taking Elmiron (100 mg x 3x a day), Zoloft (50mg) Urispas (100 mg x 3x a day).

Things that did not work Oxybutynin and Tumeric.

Goals: work harder on my diet and drink more water.

I can drink so delicious coconut drink, or coconut milk, I can drink the coconut straight out if a fresh coconut.

I drink occasionally not lots and not daily.

I use it in smoothies
    My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothergoose View Post
    I can drink so delicious coconut drink, or coconut milk, I can drink the coconut straight out if a fresh coconut.

I drink occasionally not lots and not daily.

I use it in smoothies
    Vita Coco has vitamin C which is no IC friendly. I drink Coco Libre brand
    Daughter your faith has made you well,go in peace, and be healed of your disease.(Mark 5:34)

Tried:
    Detrol:only took one pill and it made me sick
    Elmiron:caused horrible pain(took 1 week)
    CystaQ:caused alot of burning and pain(only took one pill)
    Wellbutrin:only on it for three days as it caused alot of bladder pain
    Elavil:Took one pill and it caused a flare that lasted almost two weeks. It was the longest flare I've ever had. Never again..ouch
    Prelief:made my bladder burn and feel tingly.

Take:
    Uracyst:Started May 19 2011
    Enablex:take one pill daily with no issues
    Naproxen:for pain as needed
    Baking Soda with water:as needed and it's a God send. It brings down my pain within 20 mins.
    Venofer: Started April 2012 by IV for low Iron. I do not tolerate oral Iron so this is the route I had to take.Does not bother my bladder but did have other side effects. I take Benedryl with each treatment to avoid side effects.
    Supplements:Whey Protein powder daily
    Dessert Harvest Aloe It has been helping alot but I can only take it every two days as my "die off" reaction has been severe.

Thread Information