Latest Blog Article: Ten Tips For Talking IC With Friends & Family
    ICN Member

IC or Bacterial Vaginosis?

Advertisement :
    Hi there...

My name is Chelsea, I'm 28, and I don't think I've talked to God ( of begged Him) for anything so much since I was a child...

I'm on month three of the suffering.

It started in late November out of nowhere when I thought I had a UTI. I had UTIs about 5 times since I was 20. Normally cranberry supplements clear it up, otherwise I've taken antibiotics for it two or three times.

This time I thought I was a UTI, but it wasn't responding to the normal treatments. No burning ( my UTIs never burned, just the frequency). After a few days if min response and worsening, I went to urgent care and told them I had a UTI and had a lot of experience with them in the past. They prescribede Bactrim. It did nothing, and I was back exactly a week later, and worse.

This time they did a full pelvic and took swabs and said I had Bacterial Vaginosis. They said it sometimes mimics a UTI with frequency due to inflammation agitating the urethra. So they sent me home with Metronidazol, and Flagylisil... One of them I took that day (as prescribed 4 pills at once, no more after that) and the Metro twice a day for seven days. I actually responded to it and got better for a little over a week...

Then it came back. The constant feeling of needing to urinate. Sometimes it's just present enough to be irritating and put me in a crappy mood ( those are good days) and sometimes it flared to the point if being unbearable.

Thinking its BV again as I've read it tends to return, I've been doing everything in my power to treat it as such naturally.

I've been eating a ton if yogurt, taking 5000 iu of Vitamin D a day , kidney/ bladder supplements, cranberry supplements, FemDophilis probiotic, (taking it orally snd inserting it vaginally) Ultimate Flora, Goldenseal, Folic Acid, and a multivitamin. On top of that, I eat very little to 0 sugar if I can help it, drink lemon water, and douche ternaty with hydrogen peroxide (soothing and relieving and highly recommended to do for a week at a time to kill anaerobic bacteria) And douching with Apple Cider Vinegar / water mix to raise acidity in the vagina.

The one thing I've found that brings the most long term relief (hours to a day) is the Vitanica Bacteria Arrest suppositories by Dr. Tori Hudson with the main ingredient being Borax. Since those are so expensive ($22 for 6) I started making my own Boric Acid suppositories that also provide a bit of relief, not much though...

Last week after putting Tea Tree oil on a tampon and inserting it, douching, and taking all if that, and using the Vitanica Suppositories double time ( 6 in 3 days) I actually experienced almost 2 nearly symptom free days... And then it came back on the third day with a vengeance.

I caved and saw the doctor again thinking that perhaps with my current routine and one more round of antibiotics (since it responded the first time) that it might actually kick the BV and I could live without the constant urge to urinate and have my life back.

She didn't examine me, but told me its possible I could have IC and said I needed to make an appointment with a Gyno for a Potassium fusion. She did give me another round of Metronidazol though, in case it did kick any lingering bad bacteria...

I'm on day 3, I threw up all night from it, the urgency and urethra throbbing was relentless. My long term boyfriend ( God bless this man ) is so depressed over seeing me like this and hanging on with all he's got, but I see him wearing down too. I tell him he should just break up with me since I'm in such a horrible mood all the time, I'm nothing like the person I used to be. I was active, funny, fun, healthy, loving. Now I'm in so much fatigue and emotional/ physical pain, I've almost become mean. But he keeos trying to be the positive one and telling me we will get through it together.
    I lost my job because of this- therefore lost my insurance, so everything is out of pocket now.
    I've been reading about IC since she casually dropped that potential disgnosis and I am terrified.

I do not have discharge, which is the most common symptom of BV. However, I do not have pelvic pain (other than my bladder feeling tired and sore from constant awareness) which seems to be the common symptom other than urgency for IC. My urethra kind if throbs during flare ups, demanding attention and sort of triggering that 'need to go' feelubg, i think...No itching, no burning urine, no painful intercourse ( just no will to have it as I feel like I need to go ALL the time)... I've gotten pretty good at knowing when I actually need to go vs. just feeling like it. My trips to pee are about 6-8 times a day- and I do drink a lot of water, so I tend to have a bit to evacuate when I go...

Any similar experiences/ opinions?

I'm laying in bed right now after throwing up all night... The urgency feels low but then, it might just be being eclipsed by the lingering nausea...

Someone please help.

-Chelsea
    Last edited by ICNDonna; 02-10-2013 at 08:22 AM.

ICN Member
    Look for the IC diet and print it off. Your taking allot of no nos. Lemon bad, yogurt bad, cranberry bad.. start following the diet.......... quit all those other things, they are making you hurt more. I'm in a huge hurry so I don't have anytime left to visit. Good luck!
    Tracy

ICN Member
    Folic acid and and multiviamins may have problem ingredients also. I would stop those also.

tjcoch is right. There's a link to the IC diet food list in my signature below.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaG View Post
    Hi there...

My name is Chelsea, I'm 28, and I don't think I've talked to God ( of begged Him) for anything so much since I was a child...

I'm on month three of the suffering.

It started in late November out of nowhere when I thought I had a UTI. I had UTIs about 5 times since I was 20. Normally cranberry supplements clear it up, otherwise I've taken antibiotics for it two or three times.

This time I thought I was a UTI, but it wasn't responding to the normal treatments. No burning ( my UTIs never burned, just the frequency). After a few days if min response and worsening, I went to urgent care and told them I had a UTI and had a lot of experience with them in the past. They prescribede Bactrim. It did nothing, and I was back exactly a week later, and worse.

This time they did a full pelvic and took swabs and said I had Bacterial Vaginosis. They said it sometimes mimics a UTI with frequency due to inflammation agitating the urethra. So they sent me home with Metronidazol, and Flagylisil... One of them I took that day (as prescribed 4 pills at once, no more after that) and the Metro twice a day for seven days. I actually responded to it and got better for a little over a week...

Then it came back. The constant feeling of needing to urinate. Sometimes it's just present enough to be irritating and put me in a crappy mood ( those are good days) and sometimes it flared to the point if being unbearable.

Thinking its BV again as I've read it tends to return, I've been doing everything in my power to treat it as such naturally.

I've been eating a ton if yogurt, taking 5000 iu of Vitamin D a day , kidney/ bladder supplements, cranberry supplements, FemDophilis probiotic, (taking it orally snd inserting it vaginally) Ultimate Flora, Goldenseal, Folic Acid, and a multivitamin. On top of that, I eat very little to 0 sugar if I can help it, drink lemon water, and douche ternaty with hydrogen peroxide (soothing and relieving and highly recommended to do for a week at a time to kill anaerobic bacteria) And douching with Apple Cider Vinegar / water mix to raise acidity in the vagina.

The one thing I've found that brings the most long term relief (hours to a day) is the Vitanica Bacteria Arrest suppositories by Dr. Tori Hudson with the main ingredient being Borax. Since those are so expensive ($22 for 6) I started making my own Boric Acid suppositories that also provide a bit of relief, not much though...

Last week after putting Tea Tree oil on a tampon and inserting it, douching, and taking all if that, and using the Vitanica Suppositories double time ( 6 in 3 days) I actually experienced almost 2 nearly symptom free days... And then it came back on the third day with a vengeance.

I caved and saw the doctor again thinking that perhaps with my current routine and one more round of antibiotics (since it responded the first time) that it might actually kick the BV and I could live without the constant urge to urinate and have my life back.

She didn't examine me, but told me its possible I could have IC and said I needed to make an appointment with a Gyno for a Potassium fusion. She did give me another round of Metronidazol though, in case it did kick any lingering bad bacteria...

I'm on day 3, I threw up all night from it, the urgency and urethra throbbing was relentless. My long term boyfriend ( God bless this man ) is so depressed over seeing me like this and hanging on with all he's got, but I see him wearing down too. I tell him he should just break up with me since I'm in such a horrible mood all the time, I'm nothing like the person I used to be. I was active, funny, fun, healthy, loving. Now I'm in so much fatigue and emotional/ physical pain, I've almost become mean. But he keeos trying to be the positive one and telling me we will get through it together.
    I lost my job because of this- therefore lost my insurance, so everything is out of pocket now.
    I've been reading about IC since she casually dropped that potential disgnosis and I am terrified.

I do not have discharge, which is the most common symptom of BV. However, I do not have pelvic pain (other than my bladder feeling tired and sore from constant awareness) which seems to be the common symptom other than urgency for IC. My urethra kind if throbs during flare ups, demanding attention and sort of triggering that 'need to go' feelubg, i think...No itching, no burning urine, no painful intercourse ( just no will to have it as I feel like I need to go ALL the time)... I've gotten pretty good at knowing when I actually need to go vs. just feeling like it. My trips to pee are about 6-8 times a day- and I do drink a lot of water, so I tend to have a bit to evacuate when I go...

Any similar experiences/ opinions?

I'm laying in bed right now after throwing up all night... The urgency feels low but then, it might just be being eclipsed by the lingering nausea...

Someone please help.

-Chelsea
    Omg. I coulda wrote this myself!!!! The SAME thing happened to me! I did great on flagyl for the first 2 rounds. Then they put me on a 3rd round and I threw up and didnt get the same relief.
    Now I have an IC diagnosis. Ugh I hope you get answers. This has been 3 months of hell for me. I'm 27 so I def know how you feel. My bf's been a champ too but I know he's worn out. I hate having him stay in with me every weekend my symptoms are just urgency and frequency. I'm in PT for pelvic floor dysfunction and I'm doing daily instillations.
    PM me if you ever need to talk. It helps a lot

SAME HERE!!!! Got the same thing: urinary problems started with BV. Got one round of Flagyl but when I started the second one (because I thought BV was not over), my bladder + urethra could not take it, burned like crazy. I had to stop the drug. Pain never went away, still having those flares (less painful - Flagyl was like a knike).

ICN Member
    I too feel like I could have written this. I'm 29, went to the doctor for UTI with about 5 of them behind me. Got diagnosed with BV and told it could contribute to the yucky feeling. Holly Molly! it's been awful and I feel for you. I felt better after getting off the antibiotics, taking glucosamine and chondroitin and asprin. I take a PM pain reliever at night since being sleep deprived really messed my system up.
    Good luck and I hope you find some relief soon. Mine has been tapering off for the last 6 weeks to the point I feel about 80% normal now. I hope to keep the trend going. Diet + pain reliever + sleep = a happier me.

I am back to 80% normal too with diet. No more big flares but always mild burning. Don't know if its BV but its weird all this happened at the same time...

ICN Member

Re: IC or Bacterial Vaginosis?

I also feel like I could have written this post. Did you ever figure out what it was-- the IC or BV?

ICN Member

Re: IC or Bacterial Vaginosis?

Same symptoms and timeline. Did the physical therapy or instillations help?

Thread Information