Latest Blog Article: Why The IC Network Walked Away From Facebook

Thread: rooibos (tea)

ICN Member

rooibos (tea)

Advertisement :
    This isn't really a recipe, but I just wanted to put in a good word for Rooibos - a tea-like drink that I have started really enjoying. I gave up coffee etc. a month ago after figuring out that I probably have IC (still in process with doctors), and have tried a few coffee substitutes, hot milk, etc. But now that I'm used to not drinking coffee, I'm finding rooibos to be the most satisfying alternative. And apparently it has tons of other great health benefits.

So if anyone out there is still looking for an alternative, I'd suggest giving rooibos a try. It is quite a lot like black tea.

ICN Member
    I hate to be a downer but I would urge caution with Rooibos.. I used to love this tea and you are right it has tonnes of antioxidants and is caffeine free and very good for you but I flare off it big time- in fact my Christmas was pretty rubbish because I met a friend in a tea shop the day before and had a pot of Rooibos thinking it was safe. That said- I am very very diet sensitive (can't even eat blueberries!) so it may be ok for others- just try a little at a time! It is lovely- esp the vanilla version.. another thing I miss

ICN Member
    Thanks for the caution. I'd hate to be the cause of anyone having a bad experience!

Hmmm, now I am concerned about trying it. I posted a question about rooibos tea on another thread and I haven't gotten any responses yet. I heard that some people can tolerate it, but I wanted a wider response from people before I decided to try it. I may have just wasted 5 bucks on a box of it at Whole Foods yesterday

I am very diet sensitive too. I can have blueberries, but my bladder responds immediately if I drink/eat something that it doesn't like.

I hope others weigh in on whether they can enjoy roobios tea. I would really like to find an alternative to coffee.
    Current Medications:
    Amitriptyline (Elavil) 25mg 1X a day for pain and frequency; Tramadol HCL ER (Ultram ER) 200 mg 1X a day; Hydrocodone (Vicodin) 5-500mg as needed for pain; 1 mg Clanozapam (Klonopin) 3X per day for anxiety due to fear of flares and lack of sleep; Zyrtec 10mg 1X a day to keep histimine production low

Other Helpful Daily Regimens:
    strict adherence to the IC Diet; stress management; exercise; positive thoughts; and prayer

Failed Treatments:
    Oxybutynin (Ditropan) 5mg 3X a day, which caused dry skin/mouth and urinary retention

Quote of the Moment:
    Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stephp View Post
    I hate to be a downer but I would urge caution with Rooibos.. I used to love this tea and you are right it has tonnes of antioxidants and is caffeine free and very good for you but I flare off it big time- in fact my Christmas was pretty rubbish because I met a friend in a tea shop the day before and had a pot of Rooibos thinking it was safe. That said- I am very very diet sensitive (can't even eat blueberries!) so it may be ok for others- just try a little at a time! It is lovely- esp the vanilla version.. another thing I miss
    Stephp: I also wanted to add that some of the ones in the shops may have other ingredients that can be problematic to people with IC. I thought I was being smart at Starbucks but ended up flaring by the end of the drink. One night, I read the back of the box and found Hibiscus and some other ingredients.

I haven't had any issues with plain rooibos though, so long as I don't get one where they added something else to it.

I have not had any problems with Rooibos tea. Just make sure it is just that in the ingredient list before trying.
    Daughter your faith has made you well,go in peace, and be healed of your disease.(Mark 5:34)

Tried:
    Detrol:only took one pill and it made me sick
    Elmiron:caused horrible pain(took 1 week)
    CystaQ:caused alot of burning and pain(only took one pill)
    Wellbutrin:only on it for three days as it caused alot of bladder pain
    Elavil:Took one pill and it caused a flare that lasted almost two weeks. It was the longest flare I've ever had. Never again..ouch
    Prelief:made my bladder burn and feel tingly.

Take:
    Uracyst:Started May 19 2011
    Enablex:take one pill daily with no issues
    Naproxen:for pain as needed
    Baking Soda with water:as needed and it's a God send. It brings down my pain within 20 mins.
    Venofer: Started April 2012 by IV for low Iron. I do not tolerate oral Iron so this is the route I had to take.Does not bother my bladder but did have other side effects. I take Benedryl with each treatment to avoid side effects.
    Supplements:Whey Protein powder daily
    Dessert Harvest Aloe It has been helping alot but I can only take it every two days as my "die off" reaction has been severe.

ICN Member
    You're right Kami it could have been other stuff in it- I don't know what else was in that tea that time. I have had that problem before with a peppermint tea that wasnt only peppermint. Maybe I'll try it again if I get some courage!

ICN Member
    I agree that you have to read the labels and make sure it's not combined with other problematic ingredients. I can drink just a plain roobios.

And you NEVER waste money if you purchase at Whole Foods or Trader Jo's as if you save your receipts when buying something that you're not sure of they will take anything back even if it's been opened and used. If you don't like it for any reason, return it.

ICN Member

Re: rooibos (tea)

I agree that Roobios is a great alternative to tea, but my tea company supplies about 10 versions. I had to check each canister's ingredients to be sure I didn't have any "no" ingredients on the list. I can drink it but cautiously.

Re: rooibos (tea)

Quote Originally Posted by Salmoore View Post
    I agree that Roobios is a great alternative to tea, but my tea company supplies about 10 versions. I had to check each canister's ingredients to be sure I didn't have any "no" ingredients on the list. I can drink it but cautiously.
    Thanks for sharing a precaution --- it's important to read contents on everything, isn't it.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Thread Information