Latest Blog Article: How To Stop A Diet Induced Flare - An Essential Holiday Survival Tip

breastfeeding causing flare

Advertisement :
    I had a baby 16 weeks ago and ever since, I've been flaring. I am breastfeeding. I was in remission and feeling great throughout my pregnancy. There was a dramatic worsening of my IC symptoms practically the minute I gave birth. My ob-gyn said this could be because breastfeeding causes low estrogen. This makes sense to me, because I've always felt better when I'm on a high estrogen birth control pill and worse when I'm on a high-progesterone pill.

I'm just wondering if any other mamas have experienced this--remission during pregnancy followed by flaring while breastfeeding. And if so, did your IC get better once you stopped breastfeeding?
    I have: Interstitial Cystitis,Eustacian Tube Dysfunction, IBS, Sciatica.

I take: Elavil 50 mgs, Balziva birth control, and Elmiron instillations.

I am: Not my disease.

My Myspace Page: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=4249067

congrats on your baby!!! mine is about the same age 18 weeks i think i'm so sorry that your ic is treating you so lousy. our experiences are a bit different...i got much worse during the beginning of pregnancy. then by the end i was doing pretty good, but not as good as i felt before i was pregnant. i felt wonderful for about 5 weeks after i delivered and then wammy!!! and it's been a pretty rough road since then. i hold out hope that i get better once we decide to stop nursing. for me i will suffer out just about anything to keep nursing, but you need to make the decision that works for you, your home and your baby!!! and you don't need to feel guilty or pressured either way! i would talk to your uro before you decide though...there are lots of med you can take while nursing that might help you make it through!
    Current: -pelvic floor therapy, -weekly uracyst instills

Hi,

That's interesting. I think nursing makes me feel pretty good. My IC started around the time of taking birth control. I felt bad during the first trimester of pregnancy. I think I am more symptomatic when Estrogen is high. It's so interesting how different we all are!
    I hope whatever you decide to do, that you are feeling better very soon! Congrats on your baby:-)

Jill

I actually had the opposite response. I had remission while pregnant and it continued while breastfeeding for the most part. I could get away with trigger foods while pregnant, but I couldn't while breastfeeding. When I stopped, my IC symptoms started creeping back. It almost made me want to keep pumping -- almost!

I agree to talk with your doctor and see what your options are.
    ~ Stacey

Check out my blog on motherhood (and work) at http://www.writtencreations.com/blog

ICN Member

Re: breastfeeding causing flare

I felt awesome breastfeeding. But I was having normal menses at 4mos post partum despite exclusive breast feeding. I am estrogen dominant. And so BF-ing made my hormones more level and the oxytocin is a nerve salve. It was the best I have felt since diagnosis. I am flaring really badly as I have finally weaned my toddler I have seen where folks have even continued pumping after weaning to keep from having the pain. I thought that seemed extreme until we weaned. Now I totally get it.
    Osteopathic Physician/Mom. These are my personal findings on this journey not personalized medical advice. IC diagnosed by clinical exclusion in 2010 by Ob/Gyn after way too long on oral abx for "UTIs". No true remission since that time. Read Along the Healing Path and continue reading every single bit of research ever done on IC. Found control with GF/IC diet, Cystoprotek, Slippery Elm, High Quality Salmon Oil, Sweet Melissa (lemon balm), Alkaline water. Hormone changes cause worst flares. Marked improvement while nursing my son most likely due to Oxytocin. www.intuitivepeds.com

Re: breastfeeding causing flare

I'm dealing with something similar now I have been in a bad flare since I had my baby 5 months ago and I'm breastfeeding did you find anything to help you during this? Did you stop breastfeeding?

Thread Information