Latest Blog Article: Why The IC Network Walked Away From Facebook

IC Friendly Snacks and Lunches

Advertisement :

Giving children with IC foods that will not irritate their bladder and create pain while at school is critical. Here are a few ideas. If you have more, please share them with us below!

DRINKS

Following the IC diet will be trickier for middle and high school students than it is for elementary students if not just for status. Most teens want to be accepted and be cool, thus hanging out at Starbucks with a latte, or walking around campus with a soda or caffeine drink in hand are definitely the “in” thing among teens. Remember, though, that there are bladder friendly alter- natives even at Starbucks. They can get a Steamer, which is steamed milk with some flavoring (no coffee added) or a Creamer, which is milk blended with ice and some flavoring (no coffee added). Peppermint or chamomile herbal tea are also very bladder friendly and über cool. Fair warning – green tea drinks are very popular among teenagers but can be excruciating in a tender IC bladder. These should be avoided at all costs.

An IC bladder is also very sensitive to acidic fruit juices and sodas. Give them bladder friendly alternatives like pear juice, blueberry juice or a personal water bottle that contains diluted juices (i.e. like a baby apple juice). (Many schools do not allow stainless steel or solid bottles because they can be used to bring alcohol on campus. Ask for any water bottle policies).

Luckily, there are some very cool flavored waters that can work in a pinch. Hint Essence waters come in über cool bottles and taste great, without any added acids. You can find those in the ICN Shop.

Be wary of the highly acidic drinks that often come in little foil pouches. Look at the ingredients carefully!! If they contain citric acid or Vitamin C, they might make your child very uncomfortable.

Thankfully, milk is very IC friendly. When possible, let them buy milk at school instead (not chocolate milk, but plain milk).

SANDWICHES

For sandwiches, keep it simple. Preserved meats can contain a lot of chemicals and preservatives. Look for brands like BOARS HEAD that are preservative free. Make turkey, ham, chicken, beef or veggie sandwiches. Feel free to add a little mayo, mustard, lettuce and/or a slice of cheese (i.e. like American cheese) if they don’t bother your teenager. If considering peanut butter and jelly, try using a low acid jelly like those in the ICN Shop (blueberry, pear, peach, etc.). Almond butter is also a good substitute for peanut butter if necessary.

SNACKS

Your child deserves a good snack for going to school and working hard. Resist adding junk food and focus on fresher foods. How about a mild sweet apple (i.e. Gala or Fuji) that is naturally lower in acid? Pears and blueberries are good fruit options. Carrot and jicama sticks are popular favorites. How about home- made oatmeal or sugar cookies? An occasional small bag of potato chips, like plain LAY’s chips, should be more bladder friendly than doing a spicy chip, like BBQ or sour cream and onion. Because they can be salty and might irritate the bladder, keep the chips to once a week.

If your child misses chocolate, you can try the Goldie’s Carob bars as a special treat...just one section a day or you can send a carob honeymoon! We have several carob candies available in the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com.

- - - - - - -

What do you think would be good additions to a school lunch box?? I'd love to hear your ideas and suggestions!

Jill
    Last edited by icnmgrjill; 08-26-2010 at 08:31 AM.
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Thank you Jill ~ Great ideas. I have a 17 year old granddaughter that has bladder issues and although she is a senior being homeschooled, they do travel a lot and these are great ideas. Even her little 5 year old sister is now having issues with a UTI right now. Poor thing.

Thanks again,
    Never heard of IC til suspected....Never knew so many suffer from it. Praying for a cure. I've found answers...so can you...keep the hope.

11/2007 IC Symptoms began during recovery of surgery for bladder susp & hysto: painful/urge/freq urination up to 50 times a day, pain walking, even water hurts.
    8/2009 Susp IC; 1/2010 Treatment began; 2/2010 Diag PFD, PT, Surg remove mesh; 5/2010 Surg, 2nd bladder repair, vag vault/sm int prolapse repair, IC confirmed in surg; 7/2010 Diag Candida Esophagitis, Gastritis, Diviticulosis, Gallstones,
    8/2010 Surg gallbladder
    TREATMENTS (updated 4/15)
    IC Diet since 8/2009 (Able to vary 4/15)
    Heparin/Lidocaine/Bicarb/Kenalog Instills 1xDay
    Aloe Vera Capsules, (2) 2xDay, Loratadine 1xDay
    Pantoprazole, Prelief, Pyridium up to 3xDay, Premarin Cream 3xWeek
    *DISCONTINUED since feeling better: Celexa 10mg daily*, Fiber supp*,
    Gabapentin 12/2011 worked well *, Macrodantin 100mg after instill*, Probiotics*, PT-PFD*, Valium Vag Suppositories: Cyclo/diaz/lido, 10/5/62.5mg *
    PROB MEDS: Elavil, up to 50mg 1/2011 ret&hbp, Urelle ret, Vesicare ret

ICN Member

Youth IC

I currently have IC and now my 8 year old son seems to have it. For the last couple years he's had issues with night time bathroom visits. I watched this carefully hoping it was just him trying to get out of bedtime. In the last year its gotten worse, he cry's because he is so tired but feels the need to have to go several times in a roll. His family Doctor believe also he too has IC. He is trying evavil on him for the next 3 months to see if that helps him. I got a letter from his school to allow him to use the restroom because the children get punished if the feel the need to use the bathroom during class, they need to hold it until recess or lunch. My son has been in pain and has choose to hold it so he isn't in trouble. Does anyone have any advice on how I should handle this, it's one thing me going through this but I wouldn't wish this on anyone especially my son. What treatments are out there for kids. My son is a big boy, he's active in sports, I don't wait this to affect him or to have other tease him because of it.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Sonangel

ICN Member
    Really Its a better idea...I think we should also follow them as much as possible...

String cheese is a good option for a snack. I always pack myself some baby carrots also.
    Almonds & dried blueberries (you can add a few white chocolate chips) to make gorp is very portable.
    Cascadian Farms makes vanilla chip granola bars and kid sized oatmeal raisin granola bars.
    100 calorie packs of Lorna Doone cookies or Honey or Cinnamon teddy grahams are ok to pack also.
    100 calorie packs also come for pretzels or original pringles.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

ICN Member
    This is really a nice thread you have shared and it will be helpful to all families and friends who has this kind of disorder. A proper food to eat and drinks can be useful to this better.

ICN Member
    I tried Prelief and it really worked. No lie. I don't know what dosage would be good for your son but I did three a day first and then tapered down to one a day. I was recommended this by a friend who had a really bad case of IC.

ICN Member

Re: IC Friendly Snacks and Lunches

Hi-we homeschool and Lilli is 4, but we have to pack her bag of goodies any time we leave the house. An allergy to colors(yep-all, natural and otherwise) and to carrageenan sends her bladder into spasms lasting at least 24 hrs-other symptoms last 4 days. So....we stick to all white cheeses, no apples but we can do pears, raisins seem ok but I get organic just to be sure. Cookies we have made. Granola we make.

Weird but tasty snack.
    Hard boiled egg cut with egg slicer into 10 slices & 10 thin cucumber slices.
    Top each cucumber slice with a piece of egg. Weight Watchers recommended a dot of hot sauce on it which would make an IC bladder curl up & cry, so leave that part out, but I bet a sprinkle of dried dill would be tasty.

Also love babybel light mozzarella cheese. Great w/cut veggies or today, I had it with a mini (1/2 oz) box of raisins.

I'm totally struggling with my weight, so trying to find snacks that aren't fattening, but also don't involve pears or baby carrots. After 12-1/2 years of IC I've had more thN enough of them.

Thread Information