Latest Blog Article: New IC Patient Survey From USC Seeks To Understand The Impact of Diagnostic Delays In Women With IC/BPS.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ICN Member

Re: Warning About Certain Probiotics. Just sharing my experience.

Advertisement :
    I know this is an old post but I think it bears revisiting. I have experienced exactly the same problem with probiotics but only lately after having and being treated three times for a stubborn UTI. My take is that there is inflammation there to start with - from an active infection or a treated one. I discontinued the probiotic and felt a lot better, however, tried cranberry and d-mannose and it aggravated things just as much. Advil works but if you have IBS I don't know what to do. I will try pyridium.

ICN Member

Also I should add that infection is often only detected 75% of the time. If the bacteria levels are below the threshold - or on the border - the results will be negative. Always insist on a first morning urine sample - and strangely a standing sample as this has helped me to get the diagnosis where a sitting sample has not.

Quote Originally Posted by Golumpki View Post
    Also I should add that infection is often only detected 75% of the time. If the bacteria levels are below the threshold - or on the border - the results will be negative. Always insist on a first morning urine sample - and strangely a standing sample as this has helped me to get the diagnosis where a sitting sample has not.
    I'd like to read the article where you learned about the 75% undiagnosed UTIs --- would appreciate your sharing the source. I do strongly recommend cultures for suspected infections.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

ICN Member

I have had two urologists affirm this.

ICN Member

This is true. I was also told by a doctor and by the lab tech that if urine is too dilute it may not pick up the bacteria in the standard culture. I am surprised you got 2 urologists to actually affirm this. They are first ones to deny usually. I remember in my early IC days I had a nasty UTI that was only showing up as a small amount of bacteria so the lab just said Non specific bacteria( likely contamination) and said the culture was negative. Well I got worse and worse as the infection just kept getting worse. I ended up on antibiotics for many weeks just to get rid of that infection. No test is foolproof and much can be missed unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Golumpki View Post
    I have had two urologists affirm this.

ICN Member

Exactly. I have had two negative urine tests and I am now in agony again. I started macrodantin 100 mg 4x per day since I had some - and am almost symptom free (touch wood) after less than 24 hours. I plan to call the urologist or email this latest development. Previous antimocrobials didn't touch my symptoms curiously. But I was on the 50 billion probiotic which I have read may interfere with the antibiotic. I will post the outcome (off probiotic) in the next week.

ICN Member

Just following up on my last post re the gross inaccuracy of standard urine tests. Last week did a test at the urology office which showed two organisms - originally only one detected and unsuccessfully treated. The NEXT day had a culture at my GP's office and it was COMPLETELY negative- no bacteria whatsoever. My GP refused to treat based on her lab results. Urologist prescribed Amoxicillin/clavulin since the organisms are resistant to nearly all other antibiotics. Pyridium actually worsened my symptoms. Has anyone else experienced this - this is exactly the opposite of what it is designed to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information