Latest Blog Article: ICN Evacuated In California Wildfires - Main Office Closed But Shipping & Sales Open

Thread: perimenopause

ICN Member

perimenopause

Advertisement :
    I have been going through perimenopause for a few years now - my periods are more frequent, painful and have lots of heavy bleeding and hot flashes to boot. My last period, on day 5 of my period was really bad - I was at doctors office for another issue and blood just literally started pouring out of me, they kept giving me those big pads and they had to be replaced every 5 minutes. So my doctor brought me to er because he was concerned with the amount of blood. I was checked by a gyn in er - they did an exam, plus a utereus biopsy (hurt so bad I was screaming with pain) and internal and external ultrasound. Everything came back normal. The gyn told me this happens with some women who are in perimenopause, she referred to the extra heavy bleeding as "flooding" - which basically describes it. My period lasted another 5 days (10 total) before the nightmare finally ended. I was also told if this ever happens again (the flooding), I need to go to er to be checked out for hemmoraging.

So the gyn is suggesting that I either go on low-does birth control (Mirana) or have an IUD inserted to help my periods. I have some concerns due to my age - 44 - the IC - and the fact that I am a smoker. The gyn said that studies show the low doses of the bc are not harmful and should not affect my bladder.

Does anyone have any experience with Mirana or using an IUD for perimenopause? Did it help with your periods? Did it affect your bladder? I know little to nothing about either - it's always been my understanding if you are over 35 and a smoker you should not take bc - but it's been years since I've taken any bc, so I just don't know anymore.

Any information, insight appreciated - thanks

I've had a similar experience, complete with uterine biopsy -I agree,...that was one awful procedure! My Gyn never suggested bc to me, but rather thought I should just have a hysterectomy. I too, have always avoided bc, but mainly because of a family history of heart disease at young ages. I wonder,...perhaps today's birth control is no longer as risky for heart related problems as it used to be? It sounds like your doctor doesn't believe it to be risky. I'm hoping you get some thoughts on this.

Anyway, I have done nothing, being afraid any surgery may impact the good place I'm at IC-wise.

My sister went through the same, and made it to menopause at age 51 where the situation is now resolved. I guess I'm hoping to do the same. But it's really hard to go about life, and scary too, when you have that kind of abnormal bleeding!

Vicki

ICN Member
    well I tell you ... in my teens my periods were awful, 20's were fine, 30's started to go down hill... 40's is a disaster. I was told I could be like this for another 10 years.. TEN YEARS!!! I'll never survive another 10 years of this!

I hear you! Good you can put a there, but I know it's not really that way!

More frequent? Sheesh, this month I had all of 19 days in-between! (I wonder if I took up watching the stock market if I would see Kotex stock soaring?)

Since my GYN mentioned the hysterectomy fix (I was mid 40's) I've been counting the years to the magic '51', hoping the relative date of menopause runs in a family. No such luck, I'll be turning 52 in 6+ weeks. But God help me I'm so ready to be done with this,...bring it on!

Vicki

ICN Member
    well if you don't then you can make yourself

I hope I hit menapause soon too - except I'm afraid of what that will bring on! Do the hot flashes and craziness stop at menopause or do we now remain crazy?

I don't know. I think I've always been a little bit crazy. So, what's new?

Actually, I find the hot flashes very nice in these winter months!

Vicki

ICN Member
    I am 61 and have had IC for nearly 40 years. During perimenopause, I had very heavy bleeding that went on for weeks. My gyn did a uterine biopsy[ouch], and put me on hormone pills. I think it was progesterone. My heavy bleeding stopped and was controlled until I was in full menopause. A hysterectomy was never needed or suggested because I didn't have cancer or very large fibroids. My small fibroid shrank after menopause and never caused any symptoms. Always get second and third opinions before considering hysterectomy, as too many are being done when there are other means of controlling symptoms.

ICN Member
    Hey All : )
    How do I know if I am in menopause? I had a TAH 10 years ago, I kept my Oves. My doctor asks me every time if I have any symptoms and I say IDK. Every time I flair from my IC I heat up and sweat. The pain doctor told me that it is a normal physical reaction when the body sweats when it is in pain. OK, so I have been having these sweating pain flairs since 1997 and that is when my having to go pee 3 times a night started. I had a hysterectomy when I was 36 or 37 it was 2002 and at the same time the doctor did a hydro and found that I have IC with pinpoint bleeding, scaring, and hunners ulcers. So how do I know if I am in menopause? I will be 47 in November. My doctor tells me there is no True blood test (fsh)to say that you are in menopause she says hormones flux all the time . I wake up drenched in sweat every time my bladder fills and that is about 3 times a night. I find that if I have a low cut shirt on and to have an extra pillow to use when mine is drenched with sweat.

ICN Member
    caliAnn,
    I am in the same boat as you. I am due to have the Mirena IUD in 9 days. Did you ever get it inserted?

Susan

ICN Member

Re: perimenopause

Quote Originally Posted by VickiB View Post
    Actually, I find the hot flashes very nice in these winter months! Vicki
    lol, it's rare for someone to look at it in a positive way

Thread Information