Latest Blog Article: Why The IC Network Walked Away From Facebook

Thread: Sharing recipes

Sharing recipes

Advertisement :
    When sharing recipes on this forum, please include only those ingredients which appear on the list of foods that are usually IC safe. While some of us are able to tolerate foods from the problem lists, not everyone can.

When someone is new to interstitial cystitis and looking for safe foods, many come to this forum to find different foods to try. We need to be sure that recipes listed here are safe for at least "most" ICers.

While some of may be able to tolerate some of the items on the problem lists, we should not be suggesting them to other people with IC.

If you're not sure about an ingredient, please check it out in the Patient Handbook before posting.

Thank you!
    Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

thanks for the reminder! i know i've read some things here and been like, holy cow, we can eat that!!? only to check the cheat sheet and be disappointed thanks again.
    Current: -pelvic floor therapy, -weekly uracyst instills

ICN Member
    Hi Donna,
    Both I and some others went to great lengths in the following thread (link below) to post safe as possible breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack ideas, and I myself posted a few commonly mentioned probably safe usually ok Fast Food choices ( because, yes, sometimes we are in situation where fast food may be the only choice) that have been repeated many a times as being usually ok by both members and support leaders and volunteers.

One of my breakfast ideas that I mentioned was oatmeal made with milk and topped with real butter, brown sugar or honey...all of which are listed in the usually ok column on the ICN diet cheatsheet.

I got a response following that post that oatmeal has caused many an IC patient problems, even tho it is in the "usually ok" column of the ICN cheatsheet and even tho I have seen both members, new and old, and support volunteers and leaders post many times that oatmeal is usually ok, rather than the "maybe ok" response that was written. See link:

http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54649

Possibly the ICN diet cheat sheet is wrong or needs to be updated so that those looking for things to suggest for others as safe things to eat can do so accurately and also so that anyone looking for safe foods for themselves to eat are sure to choose the appropriate foods? The usually ok list is already pretty slim as it is...I would hate to see foods that ARE usually ok and common and easy things to cook and eat be taken off the list if they really are usually ok. And the usually ok list by far is not anywhere near a list of all possible foods out there that are usually ok to eat.

I and many others do their best to offer up food and recipe ideas that are usually ok to eat, and if not, I for one, modify any recipe best I can to make it as safe as possible or note things that may not be safe for all those with IC to eat.

I understand the importance of diet greatly. But if we are to be able to respond with the safest suggestions possible, then the ICN cheatsheet needs to be accurate. I do also believe that more than anything, IC patients whether they are new or old to this board, need to be encouraged to take some responsibility for their diet and be encouraged to look up the ICN diet suggested here on this board and visit the cheatsheet and use it as a tool for themselves to determine what may or may not be safe for them to eat.
    Also, there are members on this board who may not be so diet sensitive or who may be at the point where they are ready to expand their diet and try recipes that don't come from a box that are safe to eat just b/c they are preservative free and I believe should have access to recipe ideas by those who have already had success with expanding their diets and healthy home-made foods...foods and recipes that can make an expanded diet much better for a person's overall health. JMHO Thank you for reading and please see the link I provided and check the diet cheatsheet.
    Last edited by Briza; 01-17-2009 at 01:26 AM.

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Briza View Post
    Hi Donna,
    One of my breakfast ideas that I mentioned was oatmeal made with milk and topped with real butter, brown sugar or honey...all of which are listed in the usually ok column on the ICN diet cheatsheet.

I got a response following that post that oatmeal has caused many an IC patient problems, even tho it is in the "usually ok" column of the ICN cheatsheet and even tho I have seen both members, new and old, and support volunteers and leaders post many times that oatmeal is usually ok, rather than the "maybe ok" response that was written. See link:
    I understand your confusion, Briza. In fact, I just made some oatmeal muffins because there is a recipe for them in the ICN online cookbook, so I'm surprised to see in this other thread that oatmeal really shouldn't be on the usually ok list.

I think we're all doing the best that we can to give each other suggestions, and I'd prefer to see the suggestions than see the forum go quiet. I also appreciate the forums moderators too & all the information this forum has. Just my 2cents.
    Barbara

ICN Member
    I always appreciate a new recipe. I look at it from the view of how can I modify it for me. Most of the time just having the base recipe is a real help. I too would hate to see the boards go silent because someone is afraid to list the ingredients.

I agree that it's a shame to be so incredibly restrictive that we're afraid to post. I think as long as posts are clear (and most are) that the suggested recipes work for that particular patient but aren't guaranteed for everyone, that's fine. Our dietary restrictions are so wide and varied that it's hard to list ingredients that we know for sure would be OK for every single person. I think we each have a responsibility to learn what works to eat for our own individual bladders and what doesn't then modify recipes accordingly.
    ~ Stacey

Check out my blog on motherhood (and work) at http://www.writtencreations.com/blog

For new people, it can help if you add a note --- for example, if the recipe calls for onions you could list it this way:
    onions (may be a problem)

Those of us who have become accustomed to the diet automatically adjust recipes, but the diet can be a real challenge for someone new to IC.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

ICN Member
    I am new to this forum and looking for help with the diet. I have several concerns as I have other dietary problems as well. I do not tolerate milk or milk products, broccoli, or anything with seeds or nuts of any kind. Doctor says no tomatoes of any kind. I have a lousy imagination where food is concerned but can usually put a meal together with a little help. I've been trying to find a substitute for Soya as it was my answer for a milk substitute. I'm down to pears, cantaloup and honeydew melon for fruit. Can't have vinegar, lemon, or alcohol because of pancreatic problems so salads have been dropped. Can't have red meat so it's chicken, turkey or fish for protein. Haven't been able to find a soup I can have as they all have either milk, soya, or tomatoes in them.
    I haen't even been able to put together one days meals yet and have been trying for close to two months. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpag View Post
    I am new to this forum and looking for help with the diet. I have several concerns as I have other dietary problems as well. I do not tolerate milk or milk products, broccoli, or anything with seeds or nuts of any kind. Doctor says no tomatoes of any kind. I have a lousy imagination where food is concerned but can usually put a meal together with a little help. I've been trying to find a substitute for Soya as it was my answer for a milk substitute. I'm down to pears, cantaloup and honeydew melon for fruit. Can't have vinegar, lemon, or alcohol because of pancreatic problems so salads have been dropped. Can't have red meat so it's chicken, turkey or fish for protein. Haven't been able to find a soup I can have as they all have either milk, soya, or tomatoes in them.
    I haen't even been able to put together one days meals yet and have been trying for close to two months. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
    Hey, no! Salads do not have to be dropped!! Yes, salad dressings, vinegar and lemon are big triggers for many of us...but most of us have adapted to using other things in lieu of. For example, tho I miss vinegar probably more than ANYTHING else...I have adapted my salad dressing to be just olive olive mixed with some herbs or seasonings that I can tolerate, such as black pepper, dried or fresh garlic, fresh or dried basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, a bit of salt sometimes, and such. Garlic and black pepper are safe for many, not so for others, but the others usually are very well tolerated. I am lucky that I can tolerate lemon juice in VERY small amounts, like a one slice squirted on salad or fish, so often I use that in lieu of vinegar, but have found with time that I don't even need that. Yes, it does take some getting used to, but now it is just natural for me to put just olive oil and whatever safe seasonings and herbs are available on my salad. If I am at a restaurant and nothing else is available, I will just use oil and black pepper..

And many others who prefer a creamy type dressing for their salads have been very creative by using cream cheese, ricotta or cottage cheese, yoghurt and other things to blend with safe herbs and seasonings to make a creamy salad dressing. But if you cannot tolerate dairy products of any kind, you possibly could go with the olive oil or canola oil with safe fresh or dried herbs like I do...not b/c I cannot tolerate dairy products but b/c I just prefer a non-creamy dressing.

I highly recommend experimenting with making from soups at home from scratch....I have posted several here so will try to find the link and will pm it to you. The soups are such that any offending ingredients can be left out, and none have a tomato base. I have found that there is a way to rework just about any soup recipe to be IC safe and meet (or avoid) any other dietary needs. Also if beans are an option for you they are an incredibly good source of protein, especially when accompained with rice or another grain. And like soups, when made from scratch, you can use just the ingredients that you can tolerate. My favorite pinto bean soup recipe is made from just dried pinto beans, well cooked onion, water, and a bit of salt. We call it deer camp beans b/c they are so easy to make while hunting/camping primitively!
    Wishing you luck...I am certain with some effort on your part with the cooking and some research of all the many recipes posted by the members on this board that you will find a diet that is happy and healthy for you!
    Last edited by Briza; 04-19-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: sp

Hope this helps...

Hi Kpag,
    I've got a ton of food allergies too.
    For me, it's fish, shellfish, peanuts, treenuts, avocado, legumes, soy that I'm allergic to, plus I'm very diet-sensitive in my IC, so I definitely understand the limits.
    This is what I can think of off the top of my head, hopefully you'll get some more answers.

General:
    1. Maybe rice milk would substitute for Soya?
    2. Olive or canola oil mixed with pear juice & a sprinkle of basil makes a good salad dressing. (You might buy pears canned in their own juice if you can't find a pear juice without citric acid or lemon juice added)
    3. Chicken soup can easily be made at home with chicken, salt, water, celery & carrots. I make mine in a crockpot, but stovetop works fine too.

A few ideas for meals:
    Breakfast:

1. Scrambled eggs, toast (I buy breads made by local bakeries without vinegar or preservatives in them)
    2. Oatmeal with rice milk, sliced pears & cinnamon
    Oatmeal with chopped dates, a sprinkle of coconut (I buy it at the health food store, so no sulfites) & rice milk
    3. Hard boiled egg, pear bar (you can buy them in the ICN shop linked above), toast or oatmeal
    4. French toast made with bread, rice milk, egg, cinnamon. Serve with 100% maple syrup. You can use a little canola oil for the frying pan since you can't have butter.
    5. Fried eggs (use canola for the pan), hash browns (grate potatoes & panfry in a little
    oil)

Lunches:
    1. Homemade chicken soup (I make it in a huge crockpot & freeze 6 two cup servings, so I can pull one out anytime I need a fast lunch), crackers (Some IC patients are ok with Triscuits or some brands of saltines), a pear or your honeydew or cantaloupe
    2. Subway sandwich: Many patients are ok with Subway turkey or roast beef sandwiches, no condiments, lettuce, bell pepper, carrots, cucumbers on Italian bread,
    Classic Lays or Fritos chips, baby carrots
    3. Leftovers from dinner

Dinners:

1. Baked chicken, steamed vegetables, brown rice (Steamfresh brown rice cooks in about 4 minutes in the microwave - you can buy this in the freezer section of your grocery near the frozen vegetables).
    2. Grilled chicken (I LOVE the George Foreman grill) on skewers with bell pepper, mushrooms between pieces of chicken. I put the 1" pieces of boneless chicken in a dish spritz with a little canola oil, sprinkle with salt & then thread it on the bamboo skewers alternating chicken, bell pepper, mushrooms & then grill until done. This is excellent with brown or white rice. Add a fruit salad made with your pears, cantaloupe & honeydew & this would be a great summer meal!
    3. Broiled chicken or fish, boiled red potatoes (boil til nearly done, then put them in a frying pan with a little olive oil & a dash of dried dill & cook til done), steamed green beans
    4. Skillet meal: Brown ground chicken or turkey in a frying pan with a little canola or olive oil, basil, oregano, garlic, mushrooms, green or red bell peppers (not chiles!). Add thawed frozen or fresh spinach & raw egg. Cook until the egg is done. Drizzle a little olive oil over the top before serving for flavor. I like this over brown rice, but it's also good over pasta. (This recipe is adapted from June Mort's SF Original Joes Hamburger recipe in the "IC Cookbook for You & Me" by the IC Valley Gals of Wenatchee, Washington).

Good luck! You've got some extra challenges with your diet, but over time, I'm sure you will find your staples that will work for you.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Briza View Post
    Hey, no! Salads do not have to be dropped!! Yes, salad dressings, vinegar and lemon are big triggers for many of us...but most of us have adapted to using other things in lieu of. For example, tho I miss vinegar probably more than ANYTHING else...I have adapted my salad dressing to be just olive olive mixed with some herbs or seasonings that I can tolerate, such as black pepper, dried or fresh garlic, fresh or dried basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, a bit of salt sometimes, and such. Garlic and black pepper are safe for many, not so for others, but the others usually are very well tolerated. I am lucky that I can tolerate lemon juice in VERY small amounts, like a one slice squirted on salad or fish, so often I use that in lieu of vinegar, but have found with time that I don't even need that. Yes, it does take some getting used to, but now it is just natural for me to put just olive oil and whatever safe seasonings and herbs are available on my salad. If I am at a restaurant and nothing else is available, I will just use oil and black pepper..

And many others who prefer a creamy type dressing for their salads have been very creative by using cream cheese, ricotta or cottage cheese, yoghurt and other things to blend with safe herbs and seasonings to make a creamy salad dressing. But if you cannot tolerate dairy products of any kind, you possibly could go with the olive oil or canola oil with safe fresh or dried herbs like I do...not b/c I cannot tolerate dairy products but b/c I just prefer a non-creamy dressing.

I highly recommend experimenting with making from soups at home from scratch....I have posted several here so will try to find the link and will pm it to you. The soups are such that any offending ingredients can be left out, and none have a tomato base. I have found that there is a way to rework just about any soup recipe to be IC safe and meet (or avoid) any other dietary needs. Also if beans are an option for you they are an incredibly good source of protein, especially when accompained with rice or another grain. And like soups, when made from scratch, you can use just the ingredients that you can tolerate. My favorite pinto bean soup recipe is made from just dried pinto beans, well cooked onion, water, and a bit of salt. We call it deer camp beans b/c they are so easy to make while hunting/camping primitively!
    Wishing you luck...I am certain with some effort on your part with the cooking and some research of all the many recipes posted by the members on this board that you will find a diet that is happy and healthy for you!
    Thanks, that's just the kind of help I need.

ICN Member

Re: Sharing recipes

Hey everybody i also had problems finding recipes so i started to research a bit more and with the diet i feel so much better. I made and Instagram profile with the recipes ive cooked and give me no flare. www.instagram.com/icrecipes/ hope it is useful for all of you I will try some recipes that you have shared, Thank you!

Thread Information