Latest Blog Article: The Bella Rosa Coffee Company produces remarkably low acid coffees - A new coffee option

Thread: Brown Tongue

ICN Member

Brown Tongue

Advertisement :
    For the past couple of weeks, I have noticed that my tongue is brown. It doesn't hurt - it's just brown. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Any ideas?
    Dream with the feathers of angels stuffed beneath your head - Clutch

IC, PFD, IBS, Fibromyalgia, MPS, Migraines, Allergies, Scoliosis, Bi-polar, Vulvodynia......

Usually it's caused by something you are eating or drinking. You might want to have a look at your diet to see if you can pinpoint a cause. Are you a smoker? Around anyone who smokes? That can discolor the tongue too.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

Living with IC Video Series: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...-video-series/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Nope, sorry, no ideas. I hope someone does though. I'd be interested in knowing the cause, myself. It sounds strange....a brown tongue.Hmmmm.
    I HAVE LYME TOO

For info. on lyme disease in PA..
    Visit: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PennsylvaniaLyme

God Bless You!
    Glenda

Never heard of this one. I have heard of Thrush and so forth. I hope you find out what is causing it.
    God grant me the serinity to withstand the days ahead!!!

My myspace link...
    www.myspace.com/patricia_luvs_matt

Patricia

In Memory of My Father (Lawerence) 1/25/2007

Procedures:
    Interstim Sept 2001
    1st InterStim Removal May 2005
    2nd Interstim Implanted May 2005
    2nd InterStim Removed March 2007
    Hysterectomy 1999
    Tubes Tied 1997
    C-Section 1996

Me and my kids

Taylor (my daughter) Me and my daughter My son Cody and Taylor

Hmmm. No idea. Could it be a side effect of one of your meds? I know a lot of meds can cause discoloration of body parts and this effect is often in the fine print. You can go online to http://www.rxlist.com (one of my favorite drug reference sites) and see if any of them have this as a reported side effect.

If that's not it, and it's not diet related, maybe talk to your doc if it is worrying you.

This is a strange one! Let us know what happens
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Angel watching over us
    I think Donna's idea makes sense--are you a smoker? The only other thing I can think of is that some antibiotics make your tongue black or brown.

Hugs,
    Barb
    (Babs passed away in April 2009. We honor her memory and remember her fondly. - Jill O. ICN President & Founder)

[SIZE="1"]Proud mama of a gift named Lindsey who taught me through her autism what is important in life:angel:
    :angel: IC Angel Volunteer Coordinator :angel:
    :) Contact me via PM or e-mail if you would like to help
    I have learned all about life in 3 words: It goes on! :D--Robert Frost
    PCOS 7/85
    RSD 7/94 :headbang:
    Endometriosis 9/98 :toilet:
    Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome 9/99
    Kidney stones--too many to count
    Factor V Leiden mutation 10/02
    IC 6/03 :evilsmile
    Deep Venous Thrombosis and Cellulitis 12/05 :loco: DVT and Greenfield Placed 3/14/08
    "Spirit is an invisible force made visible in all of life"--Maya Angelou
    "Ohana means family--no one gets left behind or forgotten." Stitch[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

ICN Member
    I first noticed it after I had a cup of hot chocolate, but I think that would be worn off by now. I am a smoker, but is this something that just happens after so many years of smoking? I mean, I've never had a brown tongue before. I have a lot of friends who smoke & they've never had a brown tongue. Just wondering. I can't think of anything in my diet that I eat on a regular basis that would cause it. I've checked my med's side effects & nothing there. I was given antibiotics last week when I had my cysto/hydro, but my tongue was brown before then. I dunno?

IC, PFD, IBS, Fibromyalgia, MPS, Migraines, Allergies, Scoliosis, Bi-polar, Vulvodynia......

brown tongue

I have it too! I am a smoker, and drink coffee and coke. I have one cup of coffee in the morning and I drink a few cokes during the day. I can use a toothbrush and brush my tongue a few times and it will go away for a little bit, or I can scrape my tongue down my front teeth and it will remove a little of the film on it.
    So I attribute it to the coke..lets see if we take the same med too
    I take
    Oxycontin for pain
    Klonipin for anxiety
    Synthroid for thyroid replacement
    Trazadone for sleep
    Progesterone & Estrogen compounding pharmacy meds for hormone replacement
    I know the trazadone makes my mouth dry, so that may make coloring stick to it.

Jazz
    IC since 1980,Interstim 5/25/2005, Hyst, Deg. disk disease, VV, Hydrodistentions every year,urine capacity 175cc; Synthroid,, Biodentical Hormones,Atarax,Trazadone, , Anxiety,Depression, diagnossed with Huntingtons Disease 2003 ....RN

my story: www.ic-network.com/patientstories/nancyhtml

ICN Member
    I did some research & I think it is thrush that has turned brown because of diet/smoking. I usually take probiotics to keep the yeast at bay, but had been out of them for a while, which is why I got thrush (plus the fact I was given antibiotics). Since I've been taking my probiotics again, the brown tongue has gone away. Yippie!

ok did a google search and found this link, it even has pictures.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003047.htm
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Thread Information