Latest Blog Article: The Summer 2017 IC Optimist Is Now Available

Danger in Phenazopiridine?

Advertisement :
    Does anyone know anything prescription that I can take for burning besides pyridium?

I bought a book called Best Pills/Worst Pills and I read where Phenazopiridine (or pyridium) is on the "Do Not Take this Drug" List because it causes cancer. Now I'm worried since I take it far too often.

thanks,
    Boni

IC diagnosed 2/05
    Alkaline Diet as much as possible
    VitaMixing, Power Smoothie Drinks,

Pyridium
    Hydrocodeine for pain

http://bonisbetterhealthjournal.blogspot.com

~~~~

ROM: 8:37 "Yet in all these things we are more than conquerers through HIM who loved us."

That's the first I have hear of that! I wish I had more info.
    Mel

IC, PFD, IBS, Allergies, Chronic Migraines, CVID, Fibromyalgia, CFS, Numerous Laporoscopies for Endometriosis and Adhesions, Hysterectomy 2002

I've never heard of that either. I know it's not really approved for long term use but I thought that had more to do with the liver, not cancer.

I use it sparingly but still wind up using it several times a week, unfortunately.

Thanks for the info.

Sandy
    *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
    *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
    *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

I have heard of this before...

Researchers have carried out several studies in which they gave Pyridium to lab rats for extended periods of time... over a year, if I remember correctly. Many of these lab rats developed neoplasia, one of the preliminary stages of cancer.
    That's just from what I remember reading a few times, though, I could be kinda off.

Anyway, I was told by one of my uros back in the day that I shouldn't take Pyridium for more than a few weeks at a time. They said it was mostly good for short-term pain and symptoms, such the pain and symptoms resulting from a UTI.

If I were you, I would only use Pyridium for bad flares. Personally, I don't take it anymore, because I tend to have slowly shifting levels of pain and symptoms as opposed to "flares" and "remissions", so I couldn't really follow the advice.

I think that if you only take it short-term, though, you shouldn't have to worry about getting cancer. If the risk was that big, it probably wouldn't be sold over-the-counter.

Chronic conditions: IC, bipolar disorder, Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome, Raynaud's disease, bile reflux
    Current IC treatments: menstrual suppression, avoiding trigger beverages
    Treatments for other conditions: Neurontin, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Klonopin, spirulina, Marinol (as needed)

I have also heard that as well. I tried to only take it for short periods or during really bad flares.
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

My uro said that was all outdated info and he uses it for months at a time but I still use Azo maybe one dose every 1-2 weeks as a rescue plan.

I think Green TheFish is right. It was experimented on lab rats and they developed cancer. Here is the quote from the book Best Pills Worst Pills by A bunch of doctors and Public Citizen's Health Research group.

Phenazopryridine
    PYRIDIUM (Warner chilcott)

Phenazopyridine is used to treat pain, burning and other symptoms when the lower part of the urinary tract (bladder) is irritated due to an infection or surgery. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. Because older people's bodies eliminate drugs less effectively than younger people's, this drug can stay in your system much longer than it should, and can build up until it reaches dangerously high levels in your bloodstream. This can lead to harmful adverse effects. Also this drug can cause cancer, accoring to the World Health Organization International Agency for Research for Cancer.
    Instead of prescribing this drug to relieve pain and irritation, a physician should find and and treat the cause of the pain and irritation. (Well..that's a tall order for an IC patient, I'll tell ya).

Again, my question is does anyone take anything else? I thought I read a thread where someone sid when they pee it turns their urine blue? Is that due to another med?

I only take pyridine when I am burning really bad, but, I would say it's about once a week. I called my uro and she says it's fine you can take all you want of it but, I think she doesn't know what she is talking about.
    Boni

IC diagnosed 2/05
    Alkaline Diet as much as possible
    VitaMixing, Power Smoothie Drinks,

Pyridium
    Hydrocodeine for pain

http://bonisbetterhealthjournal.blogspot.com

~~~~

ROM: 8:37 "Yet in all these things we are more than conquerers through HIM who loved us."

IC Friend
    Boni - I take Urelle. My uro doesn't have a problem with me taking it months at a time.
    The only disadvantage -- I have a blue toilet.

Urised colors the urine a bluish color. The disadvantage to it is that it can take a day or two for it to help.

I take pyridium occasionally and consider it safe --- I do realize it should not be taken full time for long periods.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [IMG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

It is true; azo dyes like pyridium can cause cancer in lab rats when administered in high doses or for a very extended period. The reason is, they can be absorbed in cells and cause certain types of DNA damage. When taken for short periods in small doses, the damage is minimal and your cells can repair the damage using a process called base excision repair (the damaged piece of DNA is cut out by proteins called enzymes, and then different enzymes come in and fill up the hole with fresh, undamaged nucleotides, or parts of DNA).

However, if Pyridium is taken for long periods or in high doses, it has been shown that in lab rats, the base excision repair mechanism becomes overwhelmed and, while this normally leads to a type of cell suicide to protect you from cancer, once in a while it doesn't work out that way and can lead to a mutation that causes cancer.

I am not sure what the epidemiology is regarding humans and azo dye exposure, though -- in other words, I'm not sure if a human cancer has been linked SPECIFICALLY to Pyridium use at this time (I believe most data on azo-dye mediated carcinogenesis in humans is based on those who worked with the dyes in industrial settings).

HOWEVER, I do know it can cause liver problems as well as a problem where your red blood cells do not carry oxygen properly.

If you are going to be using a urinary tract analgesic for a long time, it's best to try something like Urised or Urelle, as the others have mentioned. The blue dye in there is less damaging in the long term.
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Thanks for that info, Jen. That helps me better understand it.
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

ICN Member

Re: Danger in Phenazopiridine?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarojini View Post
    It is true; azo dyes like pyridium can cause cancer in lab rats when administered in high doses or for a very extended period. The reason is, they can be absorbed in cells and cause certain types of DNA damage. When taken for short periods in small doses, the damage is minimal and your cells can repair the damage using a process called base excision repair (the damaged piece of DNA is cut out by proteins called enzymes, and then different enzymes come in and fill up the hole with fresh, undamaged nucleotides, or parts of DNA).

However, if Pyridium is taken for long periods or in high doses, it has been shown that in lab rats, the base excision repair mechanism becomes overwhelmed and, while this normally leads to a type of cell suicide to protect you from cancer, once in a while it doesn't work out that way and can lead to a mutation that causes cancer.

I am not sure what the epidemiology is regarding humans and azo dye exposure, though -- in other words, I'm not sure if a human cancer has been linked SPECIFICALLY to Pyridium use at this time (I believe most data on azo-dye mediated carcinogenesis in humans is based on those who worked with the dyes in industrial settings).

HOWEVER, I do know it can cause liver problems as well as a problem where your red blood cells do not carry oxygen properly.

If you are going to be using a urinary tract analgesic for a long time, it's best to try something like Urised or Urelle, as the others have mentioned. The blue dye in there is less damaging in the long term.
    Wow!!! Thanks for the detailed information!! You were so informative. Where did you find this?? Do you know the dose the rats were fed?
    I only just recently started taking azo anelgesic and saw on the info incert about the cancer thing and am pretty concerned!!

Its like a miracle drug though, the pain goes so fast! =/

Thread Information