Latest Blog Article: Ten Tips For Talking IC With Friends & Family
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005

    Would I see a urologist for hemorrhoids?

    Advertisement :
    Hi all. I dont know if I have IC or not, but I do have frequent urination. My other big problem is hemorrhoids, which cause me to become constipated which makes me have to urinate more. Anyway, I have an appt set up with a urologist in a few days and im just wondering if urologists normally treat hemorrhoids or would I have to see my regular doctor for that? if anyone has any info on this i would appreciate it. thanks

  2. #2
    Registered User Betsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Don't quote me on this, but I doubt it. I think you would see a surgeon, but probably the specialist I would see is a Gastroenterologist, as they would biopsy them, etc...I am not sure, but I just don't think UROs deal in this....if I am wrong let me know. Good luck, it's a miserable cycle you are in and that is nasty might be advised to try stool softeners in the meantime, but do get advice on these...also keep your water intake up there, it will help with constipation....lots of things impact that, but diet and fluids are as important as some of the meds that cause them. Good luck, hope you find relief soon.
    Last edited by Betsie; 04-01-2005 at 01:49 PM.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, This Is My Story, 1937

  3. #3
    Angel watching over us
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Viera, Florida
    You would either need to see a general surgeon or a colorectal surgeon. Uros won't go anywhere near the other end.

    (Babs passed away in April 2009. We honor her memory and remember her fondly. - Jill O. ICN President & Founder)

    [SIZE="1"]Proud mama of a gift named Lindsey who taught me through her autism what is important in life:angel:
    :angel: IC Angel Volunteer Coordinator :angel:
    :) Contact me via PM or e-mail if you would like to help
    I have learned all about life in 3 words: It goes on! :D--Robert Frost
    PCOS 7/85
    RSD 7/94 :headbang:
    Endometriosis 9/98 :toilet:
    Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome 9/99
    Kidney stones--too many to count
    Factor V Leiden mutation 10/02
    IC 6/03 :evilsmile
    Deep Venous Thrombosis and Cellulitis 12/05 :loco: DVT and Greenfield Placed 3/14/08
    "Spirit is an invisible force made visible in all of life"--Maya Angelou
    "Ohana means family--no one gets left behind or forgotten." Stitch[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

  4. #4
    ICN Staff ICNDonna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    My suggestion would be to see your primary care physician. He/she can refer you to a surgeon to do the repair.

    Have you checked the ICN Shop? for US & Canada for all others

    Patient Help:


    Diet list:

    AUA Guidelines:

    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

    Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

  5. #5
    ICN Member melanie626's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Durham, NC
    SOrry about the problem on top of the IC. First, get some fiber/ stool softener to get yourself regular and see if that helps. Then see your Primary, they can decide ifyou have something that needs to be removed or they are just angry because you are constipated. Have you used something like Anusol HC to help? Good luck....
    I am blessed to have an Indiana Pouch now
    IC since childhood, finally diagnosed at 31 yo
    PFD/Pelvic Pain,SI joint and LBP
    Low Back Pain s/p spinal fusion at 19 with more nastiness in back
    Hydrodistension 2001, 2005, 2011 w capsacian, 2011 with botox/ super pubic tube
    Interstim trial and removel 2002,C-Section 2007 and 2010, Post Partum Depression, post partum hypertension, Idopathic hypothalmic amenorrhea
    Radical Cystectomy with Indiana Pouch 2/3/12--->multiple complications and revision of ureters in pouch due to a giant ball of scar tissue in 8/12, occasional pylo, L kidney small and scarred, low flow
    Hysterectomy 2/3/12 w one ovary removed
    Dry Eyes
    L radical nephrectomy 1//3/14 after a long "what if " the conversation, kidney working 4 %, path said full of absesses
    Still have issues, still take meds.

    I have worked some, been doing pilates, just got a post masters in nursing, learning to pace myself.
    Learning things I can't do, learning things that I need to take a LONG time to master and regain myself, but mostly just so happy to be bladder free.:

  6. #6
    IC Friend Portia17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I had a colononscopy done and it was done by gastroenterologist. I had a small hemmoroid

    :woohoo: :woohoo:

  7. #7
    Support Leader yvette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Salem, MA
    I would go see your Primary care physician first...he/she can point you to the right person, if needed. Hopefully they can get the swelling down rather than removal for external ones. And I agree try fiber, water, water, water and icepaks with PrepH to help...good luck!

  8. #8
    IC Friend kelly McC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Rochester New York
    I generally see my MD for all health related issues she then sends me where I need to go. I would think a G.I. Doctor.
    Good luck,
    To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world..
    I am a newbie Angel ~IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

  9. #9
    ICN Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    San Fran!
    Jen....hemorrhoids can be linked back to diet too, so make sure to see a nutritionist too. Eating paleo would probably help.

    You could also try a natural alternative before going to the doc. Here is an anal itching remedy.
    Last edited by ronjones; 06-27-2012 at 10:53 AM.

  10. #10
    ICN Member 123456's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Your PCP will probably tell you to go get some Colace (generic) at the drug store. It's over the counter. You can take more than 2 at a time (per my doctor). I usually take 3 if I'm really having a problem. It doesn't make you go, it just softens the stool. It works really well. Do that for about a month and you may be all cleared up. It worked for me and my PCP says it always takes about a month to clear up just due to how much wear and tear goes on down there.
    Your Friend,

    Diagnosed: 10/16/09

    Elmiron, 100mg 2x per day
    Imipramine, 10 mg per day
    Diazepam 10 mg for sleep
    Zovia, birth control (ongoing-no periods)
    Hydrocodone, 2 pills a day (at any time of day)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Recommendation for Urologist in NJ
    By Gail in forum Northeastern States
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-17-2014, 05:00 AM
  2. New Urologist!
    By poetgirl in forum Deb's Gratitude Journal
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 08:03 AM
  3. I'm REALLY scared of going to the urologist
    By massagedoula in forum Not Diagnosed Yet with Interstitial Cystitis?
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-06-2005, 11:30 AM
  4. looking for a good urologist in DC
    By karenknispel in forum Not Diagnosed Yet with Interstitial Cystitis?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2005, 02:42 PM
  5. If IC diet helps a lot, still need to go to urologist to rule out other problems?
    By Zebra15 in forum Not Diagnosed Yet with Interstitial Cystitis?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-31-2003, 07:34 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts