View Full Version : Black specks in urine? Just back from Er - scared

01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
s-less! I have been doing SO well lately - "going" only every 4-5 hours, very little pelvic pain, typical PFD symptoms but nothing unusual. Then out of the "clear blue" I urinated and the whole bowl was red! I freaked out and called my Internist and he advised me (to relieve my mind) to go to the ER.
The doc there could only talk about bladder cancer as I am 62 and the "clean" specimen indicated no infection. I tried to tell him about IC and that I THINK that's what I have but he said it was impossible that I had IC as the specimen indicated NO BACTERIAL INFECTION therefore I couldn't have IC (!!!) I told him that was the very thing about IC - there is NO bacterial infection but he got very huffy and said (in essence) that HE was the doctor and would do the diagnosis.
I'm freaking out and although I physically KNOW that I have PFD myself - am actively trying to get hold of my gastroenterologist at University of Chicago to get him to get me into Urology there so I can have my bladder scoped ASAP but one thing I noticed when I gave my urine sample (and have seen several times in the past )was that there were a few tiny black specks in my urine. Anyone ever have anything like this????

01-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Hello There,
Im so sorry you are having problems..
I wish I had answers for you. I think you do need to get a drs appointment as soon as possible..Well I hope someone else responds and can help.. God bless you and hope you feel better soon...:angel:

01-18-2007, 06:38 PM
You really need to see a urologist. Those black specks may be old blood.


01-18-2007, 07:04 PM
I had that happen to me when I had a kidney stone. I had the blood and the black flakes also.

Do the black specs look like pepper? That is what mine looked like.

Please call your doctor and make an appointment.

01-19-2007, 07:20 AM
I agree. I had the same thing quite a few times when I have passed kidney stones. It seems as though a lot of people who have IC also have stones so you may want to check it out with your URO. Feel Better!

Berkshire Road
01-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Call the urologist and explain the situation. They should be able to get you in on an emergency basis.

Or, consider going to a different ER, if there is another hospital near you. You may have better luck. Where I live there are about six different hospitals within a 25 minute drive from my house, so I tend to assume people have choices; now I'm learning that's not always the case.

Whatever you do, don't mess around with this. It needs to be looked at by someone competent (ie -- not the ER doc you saw!) urgently.

One thing I've found in my long journey of going from ER to ER and doctor to doctor, is that women do not get listened to with the same respect that I do. Now any time I go to someone knew, I bring either my husband or my father. And invariably, the doctors will address most of their remarks to him :cussing:
It's sad but true; try bringing a man with you.