View Full Version : How do you get a TENS unit?

08-10-2005, 05:15 PM
How do you get a TENS unit & what is it for exactly?

08-10-2005, 06:57 PM
I believe they are mainly for pain...but since they work on the nerves the possibility for help with other symptoms exsists. You need to ask your doctor for one.

TENS Stimulation
With TENS, mild electric pulses enter the body for minutes to hours two or more times a day either through wires (in pad form) placed on the lower back or the suprapubic region, between the navel and the pubic hair, or through special devices inserted into the vagina in women or into the rectum in men. Although scientists don't know exactly how it works, it has been suggested that the electric pulses may increase blood flow to the bladder, strengthen pelvic muscles that help control the bladder, and trigger the release of hormones that block pain.
TENS is relatively inexpensive and allows the patient to take an active part in treatment. Within some guidelines, the patient decides when, how long, and at what intensity TENS will be used. TENS has been helpful in relieving pain and decreasing frequency for some IC patients. If TENS is going to help, change usually occurs in 3 to 4 months. There are several manufacturers of TENS units, and the price can vary considerably. All of the units are relatively small and easily concealable under loose clothing.

TENS units are available from a number of suppliers around the country. One reliable source is Rajala Rehabilitation. They sell a number of TENS units, as well as pads and supplies.

Return to Top


kelly McC
08-11-2005, 04:00 AM
I got mine from pt therapist for my PFD. I found it to be helpful for me.

08-11-2005, 04:27 AM
When you see your doctor, ask for a prescription for a TENS --- then go to most any medical supply place to find one. Many order on line. There was recently a link in the ICN newsletter to purchase them.


08-21-2005, 07:27 AM
I live in Canada and the Shoppers Drug Mart Medical Supply store has them on the shelf. I was wondering about it when I saw them there, and if anyone had used them and if they were effective.

08-23-2005, 05:40 PM
I have Tricare insurance through the military. My primary care doctor wrote me a prescription for one. Then, I had to call my insurance provider, for a list of medical supplies facilities in my area that could give me one. I just had to take them the prescription, and they gave me a TENS. My particular insurance also covers new electrode pads, every 2 months or so. Mine didn't cost me a dime, since I have no co-pays. :)

It is really soothing for me during a bad flare. My uro said the theory is, it releases endorphines will help block pain signals. It also feels good on my lower back. I have alot of lower back aching from back injury plus the IC. Sometimes I space two electrodes apart on my abdomen, then space two more out on my lower back. It feels awesome! The pulses feel like a massage of sorts. I've only used my TENS on my outer body. I used to have to go to a Chiropracter for TENS therapy, and it cost me $65.00 per visit. So, it's great to have one at home now! I usually feel less tense and some relief right after I've used it for an hour or so..my abdomen muscles feel much more relaxed.

08-27-2005, 04:04 AM
I bought mine yesterday and have it on this morning. I took my prescription to my home town drug store. They supply medical equipment in our area. I wanted to take a look at it instead of buying over the net. It was only $15.00 more there than the net.

It is great. I Love IT.
:) :) :)

08-27-2005, 05:39 AM
I had my doctor prescribe one after finding that using the E-stim machine at PT helped some. I find it can help with pain, but also helps me reduce my frequency during long car trips as an added benefit. I always wear it in the car if we will be traveling!

Basically, the electronic buzz from the unit is supposed to "confuse" the nerves in the pelvis some, and that is why it helps many people. There are several different electrode placements, so when you ask your doctor or physical therapist for one, be sure to go over your symptoms and get their suggestions for both electrode placements and settings for the unit.

Most medical supply companies carry them. I got mine on a rent-to-own basis that my insurance covered. I paid three dollars a month for a while and then now I own it.

09-28-2005, 02:53 PM
I have on as well. I got it through my PT. It never really worked for me as well as I thought it would. I have one through Empi it costs around $900 but insurance plays about 80% depending on your coverage. I have really good coverage so check before you order one.


10-04-2005, 05:15 PM
My IC Dr sent me to a pain Dr adn pain Dr wrote me perscription for TENS unit.

It was kind of a PITA to get it...but I am getting results and it seems to help. :)

My ins pays 80% for mine as well...but yeah..that is good ins.