If the ICN has helped you
and/or given you comfort
during those difficult nights,
we hope that you will become
Please Read Our Disclaimer
Created: November 1999
Reprinted with permission
of the author,
You are here: IC Network > Patient Handbook > Meditation & IC
Meditation & IC
Steps Towards Relaxation and Healing
Many IC patients have found meditation to be an important tool for managing
their symptoms. Meditation can also cleanse, heal and balance at all levels
(spiritual, mental, emotional, vital and physical) and can help develop
concentration and visualization abilities. Here are some ideas to get you
Specifically for IC'ers
- Sit comfortably with your spine reasonably straight. Sitting in a
chair or on the floor is preferred and avoid crossing your arms and
- Close your eyes. Starting with your feet, tighten the muscles in your
toes, hold for a few seconds and then release. Move up to your ankles
and calves, tighten the muscles, hold for a few seconds and release.
Move up the body in this manner slowly and as you release each muscle
you should begin to feel more and more relaxed. Do this until you have
reached the top of your head.
- With your eyes closed, visualize a large ball of radiant golden light
a few inches over your head. Take a slow deep breath and visualize that
ball of light gently descending through your crown, filling your entire
being with golden light. Imagine this light to be your Life Force and
a source of healing.
- Imagine yourself absorbing that light as it nourishes, cleanses and
heals your whole being, dissolving all blocked and toxic energies.
- Now begin picturing your bladder as the light passes through it. Imagine
your bladder as it would look healthy with a smooth surface and soft-pink
- As you slowly move through the inside of your bladder you may begin
picturing areas that are inflamed or irritated. If this happens, focus
your attention on that area, call on the golden light to pass through
again and imagine the redness and irritation fading away until the healthy,
smooth tissue is all that remains. Do not leave this unhealthy area
until you have successfully 'healed' it in your mind.
- Spend a few more moments and visualize yourself in a state of perfect,
radiant health. Take another slow, deep breath and open your eyes.
- Sit comfortably with your spine reasonably straight.
- Allow your eyes to rest comfortably downward, gazing softly, but not
focused on anything.
- Without closing your eyes completely, let your eyelids drop to a level
that feels most comfortable.
- Continue gazing downward..the act of gazing is your primary focus
(rather than the area at which you are gazing). You may notice your
breathing becoming more rhythmic.
- It's okay to let your attention drift a bit. If your eyes become very
heavy, it's okay to let them close. If you notice you've come out of
your relaxed state, simply bring your attention back to your relaxed
Preparing for Surgery
Begin this meditation using steps 1 - 5 in the 'Specifically for ICer's'
EVEN MORE MEDITATIONS & VISUALIZATIONS, READ THE TRANSCRIPT FROM LESA'S
LIVE APPEARANCE ON THE ICN
- 6. With your eyes closed begin to imagine each procedure of your
surgery. Remind yourself that each procedure is helpful to your bladder,
not harmful. If you sense any pain or discomfort, stop where you are
and begin again.
- 7. If you are having a cystoscopy / hydro procedure, imagine the water
solution to be very healing and helpful and that it will flush away
any bad tissue leaving your bladder healthy and smooth.
- 8. Continue through the surgery (in your mind) and draw that golden,
healing light to any areas that are irritated or inflamed. Focus on
these areas and mentally heal them as you did in the previous exercise.
- 9. Imagine that the surgery is performed with great ease and success
and you are left in a state of perfect, radiant health.
- 10. Take a slow, deep breath and open your eyes.