Latest Blog Article: Special Orange County IC Support Group Event - Sept 21, 2014
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry My ER Horror Story - MAJOR Urinary Retention

I went to the drs. office on Friday afternoon and demanded to see a nurse after I waited all day for one to call me back. I knew I was retaining urine and as the day progressed on it was getting worse and worse. I kept trying to drink lots of water to flush my system and make things work again but no such luck. When a nurse finally came to see me - I told her that I couldn't pee and it had been hours since I had and she said, "well, what do you want us to do about it?" I was amazed that this woman was an RN and that in a fancy place such as that she was allowed to talk to patients that are doubled over in pain like that. I told her that I needed to be catheterized and demanded to see my doctor at once. She said that he was 90 minutes behind on patients and there was no way he could see me until next week. My bladder would of exploded by "next week". So the nurse practitioner came in and asked what all the "trouble" was about. I told her what the situation was and she said well you'll have to go to the er because we don't have foley kits here. It sure seems strange that I received a foley cath there the last time I was retaining.

By the time I finally was seen in the e.r. some 2 hours later they had a tech come in and drain my bladder. She roughly washed me up and I'm not joking when I say that she shoved a 16 french cath in without numbing me up first. Even my husband was shocked. He was explaining to her that I have IC and that I'm extremely sensitive and when these retention periods happen they usually have to use a pedicatric cath to get the job done because I swell up so much. She didn't care or listen and shoved it in. :yikes: I've never cried so hard in my life. They they preceded to drain 1200cc of urine out of my bladder. Now talk about full and miserable. I was so frustrated, upset, in total pain from head to toe, ****** and sad all at the same time. I asked for something for the pain and she went to check with the nurse and when she came back said that the nurse practioner said I had to wait until i got home to take one of my own pills. What a major bitc*! It's so obvious these people don't know what IC is or is all about.

I found out on Wednesday's appointment that I have major kidney infection and now after retaining that amount of urine - it backed up into my ureters & kidneys and has caused my kidneys to be double their normal size on the scanner. I'm in great pain - but stronger than yesterday. I'm on 1000mg of Ciprofloxin and 30mg of MS Contin and Lortab 7 for break through pain. I haven't been shy about using my pain meds caused I've needed them.

I hope today Jon (hubby) will be a little more helpful and understanding. He wouldn't help me with much of anything yesterday. We had drop in family guests that kind of invited themselves to supper that I had to cook, and emergency clean up the house for and then I did 6 loads of laundry toting the foley bag around the house with me and now today I'm really paying for it.

I'm just so glad that my bladder didn't burst - as bad as the pain was I'm surprised that it hadn't! I need to go and lay down for a while. Thanks for letting me chat with you guys.
    Love from far away,
    Tracy K

Current & Past Health Diagnosis(s)
    Currently suffering from 2nd Bladder Prolapse
    Interstitial Cystitis- March 2004
    Fibromyalgia 2004
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 2005
    Severe Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    Tension & Migraine Headaches
    Chronic/Severe Urinary Retention
    Numerous Endometriosis/Adhesions Removal Surgeries
    Pelvic Organ Prolapses (Uterus/Vaginal Walls, Bladder, & Rectum)
    Partial Hysterectomy 1997
    Ovaries Removed due to large cysts 1998
    Chronic UTI's (ongoing)
    Medtronic Interstim Unit removed after 5 months due to severe infection and unit was floating around in my lower back 2004

Never be ashamed to ask for help when you need it.

God will never give me more than I can handle, but sometimes I wonder if he lost track of what's he's dealt out here ???? I'm trying here

Wow, Tracy! You have been throuh the ringer these past few days. I am so sorry that you had such a hard time trying to see your doctor. I hope that the antibiotics will start to work soon! You need to rest as much as you can so that you can get to feeling better. Could you tell your family that you are sick with an infection and you can't cook the rest of the weekend? Kinda makes me wonder, shouldn't they be cooking for you? I would definitely let your doctor know how you were treated by his nurses and staff. My guess would be that if he knew how bad you were retaining after your infection was dx last Wed., he would have seen you no matter how many patients he had waiting. I would also write a letter to the hospital administration concerning the treatment from the er nurse and the blatent way that your wishes for a ped. cath were ignored. Including a little info. about IC with the letter would probably help, too. Education is the key to letting doctors know about what we need and why we need it. having to be treated that way by an er nurse is not acceptable care and you deserve better! My best to you, Tracy. Keep us posted.
    Jen

Life is a collaboration and in a collaboration, you have to be willing to admit that you may be wrong. Validation is the thread that holds the key to understanding.

What a horror story. There is no excuse to treat people the way you were treated. It makes my blood boil to read about "health care professionals" who are so NOT professional. Sounds to me like the staff did not want to stay late because it was Friday. Has your doctor's staff ever treated you in this way before? Make sure you report this inexcusable treatment to the doctor if you ever go back, again.

Do report the ER tech. Again, there is no excuse for the lack of care in treating you.

I hope you begin to feel better very quickly.
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

OMG, Tracy!!!!! That really is AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe they treated you that badly at the doc's office AND at the ER. I agree with the others that you need to report the doctors, nurses, and techs that did this to you.

Also, you tell that husband of yours that you aren't cooking his dinner or washing his dirty underpants until you feel better and if that means he's eating TV dinners and buying clean undies cuz he can't figure out the washer for a couple of days, tough crap . My husband agrees with me on this one. Granted I realize there are tempers involved, so this might not be as easy as all that... but gosh, I wish you could say it. Regardless, you need to rest, and Jen is right... your husband should be cooking for you right now!!!

You have been through Hades this week and you need help. If only I lived closer... I SO wish I could come up there, cook you something nice and IC friendly, and do a few chores for you while you take a nice nap.

Just try and rest and know I am thinking of you...
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

gwynnie
    hi i am so sorry you had to go through this..
    i was mis- treated in the ers too.. i was basically ignored when i was complaining abt all the pain and stuff its sooo frustrating..

All I can say is WOW! That is horrible, I hope you are resting and getting better. Baby yourself a bit and get lotsa rest. I agree on reporting that tech, what a (insert descriptive word here). Take care and rest up! (((HUGS)))
    Dawn

Unhappy

OMG. I think I would have cussed her out big time... Write a letter to the hospital and her admin. report her, take it a step further and report her to the board of RN's.. there has to be one.. hopefully.... Then I'd report the nurse at your doctors office, write to your doctor and hand deliver it personally.... I am so sorry you went thru such pain and treated so horribly..
    ((((((((hugs))))))))
    Brat
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Urinary retention

Tracy,
    My Dr. who first diagnosed me with IC, would not let me leave the hospital until I had learned to catherize myself. I was so scared but boy am I glad he did that. I buy cathiters by the case and whenever I know I am not emptying, I just catherize myself. It's a snap now. Maybe you can find a Dr. that will have his nurse teach you to do the procedure, then you will never get in that shape again. I fully sympathize with you. But my bladder will only hold three oz.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Hugs and prayers,
    Rowena

Tracy.... I didn't want to say so before, because, I know you've been scared of cathing yourself, but Rowena is SO right... you need to be able to cath yourself so that when you feel this start to happen you can help yourself.

I know it is TERRIFYING and perhaps gross at first but really, it is a snap. I have a few tips and tricks for doing it... I think I've told you before, but I'm an old pro at it. I am going to PM you with my phone number so that next time this starts happening you can call and I will walk you through the whole thing. OK???? Plus, you want to get some female hydrophilic ("water based") catheters like the Lo-Fric ones... I know you already have caths at home from attempting heparin/marcaine instills, but these are easier.

WE will talk soon... ok???
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

I absolutely agree those care givers should be reported --- be sure you do it in writing.
    I suggest you address the complaint about the ER to the hospital administrator, with a copy to the State Board of Nursing in your state. And I would write a letter to your doctor explaining what happened and how you were treated.

I also agree with Jen that you will do much, much better if you learn to cath yourself. It gives such a sense of accomplishment and freedom to be able to do this. And after the first few times it isn't difficult at all.

Warm hugs,
    Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

It totally shocks me how people who are suppose to be there to help others can be so ruthless. I am sorry you had to go through such a horrible experience. I would say it needs to be reported. Also I would talk to your doctor about your visit to there office. I have found a few times my doctor was not happy how I was treated and talked to the staff. I hope your feeling better soon,
    sending huggs,
    Kelly
    To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world..
    I am a newbie Angel ~IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

The others have given you great advice, so I'll just say I'm so very sorry you were treated that way! It is outrageous what they put you through!

Vicki

I hope you are feeling better after going through such a terrible ordeal.

I agree with the others and think you will have much better control over any retention problems if you learn to self cath. If you are concerned about having pain from the size of the catheter, a pediatric feeding tube can be used to drain the bladder. The tube is much smaller than a catheter and can pass into the bladder with much less friction and pain. It is very easy to pass into a swollen urethra. The tube is sterile and is inserted the same way you would insert a foley. I take care of a young student with cerebral palsy. We use a pediatric feeding tube to catheterize her. We have had no problem with drainage or infection. You cannot use it to do instillations but it can certainly be used for retention.

Jeanne

Unbelievable, you do need to report them. How other people can treat people that way is beyond me.
    Jolene

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans" John Lennon

IC diet cheat sheet....http://www.ic-network.com/diet/dietcheatsheet.html

Information for Patients can be found here.
    http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Jen's tips for great IC sex..http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22522&highlight=jens+tips[/url]

Newbie Angel...I will be happy to answer any questions or just listen. Email me at joleneb2@yahoo.com

"IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you."

Angel watching over us
    You really need to report these poor excuses for care givers. How dare they treat you like that. I hope you're going to bust these people, and make sure you do it in writing. Hope you're doing better too.

Hugs,
    Barb
    (Babs passed away in April 2009. We honor her memory and remember her fondly. - Jill O. ICN President & Founder)

[SIZE="1"]Proud mama of a gift named Lindsey who taught me through her autism what is important in life:angel:
    :angel: IC Angel Volunteer Coordinator :angel:
    :) Contact me via PM or e-mail if you would like to help
    I have learned all about life in 3 words: It goes on! :D--Robert Frost
    PCOS 7/85
    RSD 7/94 :headbang:
    Endometriosis 9/98 :toilet:
    Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome 9/99
    Kidney stones--too many to count
    Factor V Leiden mutation 10/02
    IC 6/03 :evilsmile
    Deep Venous Thrombosis and Cellulitis 12/05 :loco: DVT and Greenfield Placed 3/14/08
    "Spirit is an invisible force made visible in all of life"--Maya Angelou
    "Ohana means family--no one gets left behind or forgotten." Stitch[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information