Latest Blog Article: Creating an IC Friendly Thanksgiving
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bladder spasms

Bladder spasms

I am wondering how many of you experience bladder spasms?

I've had the urg/freq and the burning from the beginning of my IC. Then the pain... dull, achy, crampy, sharp, stabbing, etc. Pain in the bladder, pelvic, butt, belly, legs, back, etc. Sometimes retention when I'm flaring. It never ends....

And the last couple years, I"ve had more and more spasms. I get them in the bladder, legs, vagina, and butt. The bladder spasms are the worst!!! I especially get them after voiding.

Physical therapy helps, but that's only 1-2 times per week. I'm wondering what treatments or methods you use to help this nagging and painful feeling.
    Melanie
    __

It's my biggest problem when I flare. I find that taking antispasmodics, such as hyoscyamine, helps me the most.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

ICN Member
    A couple weeks ago I was prescribed hyoscyamine (Levsin) & this drug has become my life saver. I have been struggling with bladder spasms for a long time & was thinking that there was no hope of stopping them. Then I was prescribed this wonderful drug & my bladder spasms are now nonexistant. :woohoo:

oh how ifeel for you i know that bladder spasm are the wrose bless your heart.
    this is what i do take my pain medicine with either heat or ice on my bladder if this doesnt help i do soak in a hot tub of water as hot as i can stand it with sea salt and baking soda and drink lots and lots of water.
    good luck hon hopeyou feel better soon
    sending you hugs and prayers
    Rhonda
    Medicine taken daily or as needed:
    1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
    2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
    3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
    4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
    5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
    5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
    6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
    7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Hello Mel:
    I too have lots and lots of spasms in all the areas which you mentioned. i do what the others have said and i use to get hyoscomine which helped a lot along with cardura and lorazapam which i would take at night. i also have a T.E.N.S Unit which i have left over from physical therapy. it seems to help. it sorta like "beats up" the spasms... the spasm gets a slap back so to speak. i dunno how to explain it. maybe you could see about a tens unit?? truth, it seems to help the spasms to stop more than pain meds ever could. but for me it's not a treatment for the pain itself, though gosh making them stop is the point. good luck to you! let me know how you're doing when you can. thanx. take care : ) Lv. Kara
    :yikes:

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie
    I am wondering how many of you experience bladder spasms?

I've had the urg/freq and the burning from the beginning of my IC. Then the pain... dull, achy, crampy, sharp, stabbing, etc. Pain in the bladder, pelvic, butt, belly, legs, back, etc. Sometimes retention when I'm flaring. It never ends....

And the last couple years, I"ve had more and more spasms. I get them in the bladder, legs, vagina, and butt. The bladder spasms are the worst!!! I especially get them after voiding.

Physical therapy helps, but that's only 1-2 times per week. I'm wondering what treatments or methods you use to help this nagging and painful feeling.
    Hi Melanie,
    All your pain symtoms are exactly like mine. I'm with a new Uro ( 3rd one) ) and she prescibed me B&O Suppositories.
    It's Belladonna and Opium. I take it when I'm really bad and have the spasms and double over pain. But, it has been a life saver for me as well.
    It's not a drug that they happen to have at your friendly Safeway, but at the office, they have a Pharmacy there that keeps it stocked for the Uro's.
    Levsin and Ativa work got too! It's all trial and error.

Let me know if it works for you.

Much Love,
    Brigitte

Oh I know that is aweful I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I use lots of things but I don't know what helps what anymore. I would try anantispasmodic like someone else suggested. If it becomes intollerable ask for a pain med. And try whatever is at your disposal like maybe a heating pad, Thermacare for the back helps somewhat too, maybe a hot bath too. Try and get your mind distracted for awhile. I know it may not help too much but sometimes just calming down and trying to relax a bit helps. I find that when I stress over the pain it intensifies it x 5. I hope something helps you. Hang in there. Take care - Chris

I just took an anti-spasmodic, along with an extra strength advil this morning, when I was feeling some serious spasms and irritation.

The combo made me feel 90% better within an hour!

The anti-spasmodic I took was tolterodine L-tartrate, brand name is Unidet (though I think there are other, more common brand names for this drug).

Banned

Valium!

Though I'm male, pelvic floor dysfunction is also a problem of mine. It usually affects female IC patients who are mothers; but that's obviously not me.

According to Robert Moldwin's book (which I refer to as the IC bible), Valium (diazepam) is very effective in treating these spasms. So I take that 10mg/tid (three times a day). It's often more effective in reducing my pain than the narcotics alone.

Valium, despite its age, is still considered the best smooth muscle relaxant available. And because of its age, it's dirt cheap compared to any of the new drugs. It's a way to reduce your co-pays and your insurance company's costs. People sometimes forget that saving the insurance company money when you can benefits everyone on your plan and its overall costs.

I wouldn't pretend to understand all the complications of female plumbing, but all the trauma and pain I've experienced in that area myself has made me a lot more sensitive to female issues in that area.

As for birth, thankfully, I'll never be able to make the comparison between IC flares and labor. But having watched my wife go thru 32 hours of labor (24 hrs with NO drugs of any kind) and eight hours of hard labor, I can't believe THAT is LESS painful than IC. Temporary, but I can't imagine anything as painful as passing those shoulders thru your pelvis. Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pain_Man:
    I just have to say ... You are Soooo Kewl! i appreciate the things you say and always enjoy your post! i know womem often seem to have the market on pain due to the joy of labor and menstrual pain. however, i don't like the societal myth that men couldn't possibly experience the same intensity of pain as women. no gender has the market on pain. i dislike the idea that men are tougher and therefore couldn't possibly experience an insane amount of pain. esp. when it comes to "abdominal" pain. it makes me feel like society doesn't validate men and the pain men can have. sorry to run off at the mouth about this but gosh we're all alike and different and pain is pain is pain. not sure i made my point well but it kinda makes me feel bad to think a man feels like his pain isn't valid. again, thank you for the kindness you show in your post. take care. Lv. Kara

Banned

great post Kara

Yes, our sex roles are awfully screwy.

Or rather, our ideas about sex roles. (F'r instance, did you know that severe PMS is almost entirely an American issue; few European women suffer from it, at least that's what I've been told by European women!)

It's ridiculous to call women the "weaker" sex when women are the very glue that holds society together and makes civilization possible. Heck, it was women who invented agriculture! Just contemplating birth is tough enough. going thru it requires as much guts as anything on the battlefield.

Generalizations can be made, but they are rarely helpful with individuals. I'm not the best nuturer. But that's not because I'm male (there are plenty of men who are), it's because I'm me. My wife is, by nature, much more patient than I am. I have the Anglo-Gaelic temper (Southern Europeans have no monopoly of ranting and raving at the tops of their lungs) as well.

I'm also struggling mightily with the fact that my wife is almost sole breadwinner. I have nothing against women working or successful women. If my wife had made it big time and made $500K/yr then I wouldn't have a problem not working to stay with the children. But to be FORCED into inactivity at the age of 33 makes me feel like I'm failing in the most basic male role, ok, second most basic role: provider.

It's one thing for a couple to choose for one of them not to work--whether one of them makes large money or it requires sacrifices. It's entirely another to be pitched headlong out of active life and nearly confined to my house.

And my wife isn't the healthiest person. She's had severe hormone issues since she started birth control pills after our daughter's birth. She just does so much that, in a normal marriage, she wouldn't have to. I feel so bloody guilty about all she does for me, all that I've needed, all that's she's given and how little she's gotten in return.

My Old Man was not the perfect father when I was a young child. There was no physical or sexual abuse or anything, but he was very tough and very conflicted (he was drafted by the Yankees our of high school but washed out and before he could pursue his career with other teams, his first wife was pregnant. And in 1961, men didn't run out on their girlfriends to pursue careers or anything else. You got married. That's what my dad did.

But despite all of his rages and anger, he ALWAYS went to work. He ALWAYS made sure my brother and I had full bellies and a roof over our heads. I can't even do that. So the very "measure of a man", to quote Clay Aiken, the measure I was taught to judge by, I can't meet.

I know I have to adjust my definitions of my role, but its very hard. Especially when I see how exhausted my wife is or when I just can't get my daughter to stop crying. As Martin Luther said, "A women can do more with the children with her little finger than a man with both fists."

Sorry. Guess it was my time to go long.

Pain_Man:
    You are so right about everything you said about genders and gender roles. every society tells men and women what is expected of them. when for one reason or an other we don't adhere to these "standards" it can be emotionaly overwhelming.
    i too have heard that PMS is more of an American thing than any other place. i have many friends over seas and they have told me the same thing. i think it has a lot to do w/the American diet and fast pace lifestyle. also, American women are having children later in life which plays a role w/harmones and such. again one reason why more American women have endometriosis. at least, so it's been said.
    i know many women who aren't by "nature" "meant" to be mothers and who aren't the perfect picture of motherhood. on the other hand i know many men who are far more nurturing than their wives. you're so right that it's more about who you are as a person and not what gender you are.
    my gosh i know just how you feel about not being a "provider", even though i'm not "expected" to be. for one, i dated a man a while back who didn't make as much money as i did and i gave him everything. i always paid for dinner, the movies and so on. he just lost it one day. he couldn't stand not being the main provider. i look back at it now and realize i should have allowed him to do more. i know i hurt his male pride and i felt so bad. two, i too am bound to the house. i am always embarrassed to speak w/my neighbors because they never see my truck leave the yard and they know something is wrong w/me. i actualy make things up about people picking me up at my house and that's why my truck is in the drive. an old friend of 20 yrs moved in to the house next to me six months ago and his kids love/adore me and they can't understand why i don't see them more often. i cannot do the work i have done since i was 15 yrs old. (house painter) my fiance' is not well himself either. he was hit by a truck 3 yrs ago and he suffers from severe low back pain. he has no insurance and because i can't work we cannot afford to get him ins. he also has severe anxiety attacks and insomnia. i am also certain that he has sleep apnea. yet, he goes to work every night puts in 12 to 16 hrs/night. he comes home and does the dishes and the laundry and makes me something to eat. he not only works but he takes care of me and the house. i feel so horrible that i cannot provide for him or at least help ease the load. i'm 34 and i know how you feel, to be so young and yet be so old at the same time. i would give up all the pain medication in the world to have my life back.
    i'm long winded by nature. my friends get a pot of coffee just to listen to my phone messages! lol and my emails?? they print them out so they can sit down to read them! lol. so, at least for me, i always read every word of someones post long or short.
    adjusting yourself to a different role is hard! being 34 and having people ask why i'm not a mother "yet" is always a favorite to fend off! you're so smart and pretty why haven't you gotten married and had children ... "yet"? what's this yet stuff? like there's still hope for me to be a woman? i'm not a woman because having children is what defines me as a woman? ugggg geeeesum crowfish. no matter how much "you" do nurture your kids and wife no matter how "domesticated" you become it'll always be though not to be the "provider". of course you can redefine "provider" ... to something like: i provide my family w/emotional support... but it may always feel like something is missing. because even though i no longer feel like i have to please others by becoming a mother. at times i still feel like i'm missing out on something. i guess what i'm trying to say is that it's okay for us to feel bad about not being able to play those typical roles because it's what feels "normal" to us as Americans. W.A.S.P. ways of life which are engrained in our sense of self. i can't say: oh don't feel bad being the provider isn't everything, because to you it's very real and you have every right to feel angry, upset, mad or whatever you feel. denying your feelings may only cause you more frustration. all any of us can do is the best we can do hour by hour or day by day and hope/pray someday we'll find a cure or means to cope. take care of you! Lv. Kara

WOW, didn't realize that was so long! lol lol, and you thought yours was long... : )

Pain Man, valium works! I had one pill on hand, broke it in half and I was spasm free all afternoon and evening. Now to convince my uro to give me an Rx!
    You rock!, Steph

B&O supp work the best for my spasms. But, I've found that Nyquil (yep! NYQUIL) works pretty good too if I don't have anything else on hand. I have no idea why it works, and neither does my Dr, but WHO CARES???!!! If it works - it works! The only problem is that it really wires me up, so I can't take it at night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information