ICN Member

sterilizing tens unit

I am looking for some advice since the pharmacy, doctor and manufacturer of the internal vaginal tens unit that I have can't tell me for sure how to disinfect the vaginal probe.

I had an infection and don't want to reinfect myself but the directions are to wash it in warm water and soap. I thought about rubbing alcohol but am so afraid something could still live on there. The part costs $90 so I'm confused.
    Indy

ICN Member
    I had no idea there were vaginal tens units. Hmmm, I'll have to look into that. Is it a different tens unit or is it a different type of electrode that goes on a normal tens unit that makes it 'vaginal'? Since I don't know much about it, I'm wondering if you could boil it in water (like you do baby bottles). Dishwashers are also good for sterilizing. I don't know what the exact temp is for sterilization, but I know that the dishwasher water does reach that temp.

I'd check with the manufacturer. I used a vaginal probe with my Innova unit from Empi, and I would'nt use rubbing alcohol or boil it without asking them. It just seems like the soft rubber could be damaged.
    IC & fibromyalgia since ~'77. Osteoarthritis since ~'88. Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (autoimmune blood disease) since '96. IBS for who knows how long. Interstim implant 2/04, revised 6/06, replaced 11/12. Antibodies to thyroid since at least '92 (finally diagnosed & treated 1/06). Asthma & vocal chord dysfunction 12/06. Hypoglycemia '07. Perimenopausal at 37, menopause at 45. Pituitary & adrenal failure. Osteopenia. Grade 3 sacral fracture by S3-S4 at age 12, healed 14mm out of place.

ICN Member

sterilizing tens unit

I also use the innova. The customer service people had no idea so I ordered a new one.

I'm curious, did this tens unit help you?
    Indy

I've never heard the Innova described as a TENS unit. Yes, it definitely helped me, and I was able to postpone Interstim for a long time (11 years). It didn't totally get rid of my IC symptoms, but then again, I don't think anything does. It was worth the bother to me.
    IC & fibromyalgia since ~'77. Osteoarthritis since ~'88. Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (autoimmune blood disease) since '96. IBS for who knows how long. Interstim implant 2/04, revised 6/06, replaced 11/12. Antibodies to thyroid since at least '92 (finally diagnosed & treated 1/06). Asthma & vocal chord dysfunction 12/06. Hypoglycemia '07. Perimenopausal at 37, menopause at 45. Pituitary & adrenal failure. Osteopenia. Grade 3 sacral fracture by S3-S4 at age 12, healed 14mm out of place.

I would think washing it with warm soapy water, as directed, would be adequate.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

ICN Member

sterilizing tens unit

RJYOON,

I'm curious why you needed interstim if the innova worked for you. Did it help with pain or frequency? How is the interstim working? My doctor wants me to get that and I refuse.
    Indy

The Innova helped with my frequency. I don't have much pain to speak of. Over time, my IC got worse, and the Innova was no longer enough, even if I increased the number of times a day that I used it. The Interstim has been a radical improvement for me (see my earlier posts on my improved sleep). I waited as long as I thought I could before I decided to try Interstim. I tried a boatload of other things, none of which really worked. I'd say that if the Innova improves life enough for you, stick with it. If the day comes when it is no longer enough, then consider Interstim. My uro thought that my success with Innova was a good predictor that Interstim would work. I think he's right now.

Thread Information