Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News

Unhappy Elevated Liver Enzymes - might have to give up Elmiron

My nice urologist just called me, said I had excess calcium in my blood (gotta stop eating 20 tums a day and taking 20 prelief a day) and also that my liver test results were elevated "slightly above normal" he said. Not too bad just yet but I am going back in this week to give more blood, to see what direction this is moving in, you know the deal.

So it might be that I end up saying "bye bye" to Elmiron. You know he's had me on this very high dose - I wonder if that could contribute to liver problems, the higher dose? Don't know. Plus you know I am taking painkillers with Tylenol in them, probably everything adds up until the liver says "help me."

I'm kind of bummed because even though I've been in a flare for a couple of months now (2 1/2 months I guess) I was hoping Elmiron would ride in once more to save the day and give me another nice long remission.

Well, that's how it is with this disease, disappointments come and you just have to weather them I guess.

Blessings, Lori

P.S. Just found out, there's another possibility, renal cell carcinoma. I did have extensive exposure to organic solvents when I worked in the nail polish factory, which is a risk factor for this similar to smoking/lung cancer. So it's not something I can rule out but for now I will assume it's just the Elmiron and too many antacids...
    Last edited by ICLori; 07-20-2004 at 10:50 AM.

Woo hoo, I'm so happy! They did labs on me day before yesterday and the results are completely normal, no high calcium, no elevated liver enzymes! I don't know if they mixed up my blood vial with someone else's or something like that, but it looks like I am just fine now, thank goodness! I am so grateful! Even though Elmiron doesn't seem to be helping me at this present moment, I would still like to stay on it on the off-chance it could start helping me again.

Blessings, Lori

Lori,
    That is great. My doctor just ordered me to have blood work done since I have been on Elmiron for some time now. I had no idea until a little while ago of the potential damage to the liver. I'm hoping everything turns out okay because I don't want to give it up!
    ~Debbie

Potential Liver Damage from Elmiron?????????????

:yikes: No one has warned me about the postential damage of liver from Elmiron. I am taking it and my lipids and Triglicerides were up. Tell me about what kind of things to look for about Elmiron. What would be the symptoms?
    Where can I get more information?
    "We can do no great things; only small things with great love." Mother Theresa

Thumbs down What

:dogrun: I have been on Elmiron or 1 month, with no side effects. Now it could damage my liver? Maybe thats why my Dr. was so opposed, to put me on it. Is there any safe alternatives, with meds that coat the bladder?
    Pamela

I have been on it for almost 3 years and have a liver panel done each year and so far they have all been fine. As long as you ask your doc to do liver panels (bloodwork) periodically to monitor it you should be fine.

There are other medications that can cause damage to the liver, so it's not just Elmiron. My husband's doc wanted him to have a liver panel after a long time on ibuprofen.
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

My IC story: http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/kim.html It's very outdated now. I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

There are no signs of liver damage until a good deal of damage has been done, and then you have jaundice. There are no early signs of damage, is what I mean to say, which is why the bloodwork is necessary.

Elmiron has a very low occurence of these problems. It's not like there is a big chance it could harm your liver, not at all. And if you were one of the very tiny tiny percentage whose liver didn't like Elmiron, that's what the blood tests are for every since months, to catch the problem early.

You have far more chance of getting liver problems if you go out weekends and have a drink or two, or take Tylenol for pain, than you do taking Elmiron.

Blessings, Lori

Thread Information