Latest Blog Article: New Bladder Pain Treatment In Development - IC Clinical Trial Seeks Women with Moderate To Severe Bladder Pain

Thread: Candida

Candida

I have just learned of this condition, anyone heard of it or have it, I have a lot of the symptoms, I think it is a system wide yeast infection, but i am not sure?

Anyone heard of it, know how to reat or diagnose it?

OH yes, the struggle with Candida is not an easy one!!
    It is common to have problems with yeast when you are on antibiotics. We all have yeast growing in our bodies but the "Good" bacteria that keeps the levels at bay are killed off by long term antibiotics and the levels rise and cause problems. That's why women often get yeast infections in their GYN tract after an antibiotic course.
    I think you should definitely discuss this with your doctor. Yeast infections can be very difficult to deal with. I had a heck of a time myself last year for about 6 months. Even when I didn't have symptoms, every time someone examined my GYN or URO tracts, they saw yeast. I took lots of doses of Diflucan...bleech!! It always makes me puke for 24 hours!!!
    I also turned to holistic medicine (with UROs blessing) to boost my immune system and the "good" bacteria. I consulted an expert at a health food store and took a product called "****" for 60 days to try and control the yeast. I really felt it helped my situation. I felt my body get stronger and have not had any further problems with yeast. The long antibiotic course had also left my GI tract with ulcerations. I was vomitting frequently despite the meds and special diet. It cured that too.
    But remember, I am no expert and I do not know anything about your situation. It is just a suggestion to add to the pile. I certainly did a lot of research before deciding to take ****. I brought the product info into my URO and he and I looked at my list of current meds to make sure there would be no interactions between the product and my meds. Then he said, "Go for it!! All you have to lose is the pain!!" He's the BEST!!! I will warn you, it is kinda expensive. But for me, it was worth it!!
    Good luck!! I hope you are feeling better soon!!
    Hugs,
    Last edited by ICNDonna; 07-03-2004 at 03:05 AM.
    Audrey Rose

PROUD ICN ANGEL SUBSCRIBER!!

I am going to try acidolphilus (?) pills, the good bacteria? And see if I flare, that is the first thing I can think to do, my mom has this product that you use 2x's a year to cleanse your body she is thinking of ordering for me. who knows just another puzzle for me.

The problem with some acidophilus pills is that many of the "good bacteria" is dead before it even reaches your intestines. I've heard you can test it out buy dropping a couple of capsules into 2 or 4 ounces of milk and leaving it out for 24-48 hours. If the product you bought has live acidophilus in it, the milk should curdle and turn into a yogurt-like consistency.

Diagnosis is trivial at times. It's easier to be diagnosed with a yeast infection than it is to be labelled as having systemic candidiasis.

I don't want to post a lot of herbal remedies on here or comment on prescriptions because I am sensing it isn't allowed. If you want to check out my website (I don't sell anything..it's just info) it may lead you to websites that can help you to find more answers along with books to look into, natural foods to try and suggestions about diet.

Good luck
    To good health and happy eating! www.CantEatIt.net

Skin Disorders and Candida Albicans

By Michael Biamonte, C.C.N.

Overgrowth of intestinal yeast Candida albicans can be signified by a large number of skin problems, including psoriasis, inflammation, and rashes on various parts of the body. In fact, some experts estimate that 15% of patients with Candida overgrowth have some type of skin lesions.1 Numerous clinical studies have linked the presence of anti-Candida albicans antibodies in the blood with the clinical condition of atopic dermatitis.2-5 A team of German investigators found an inordinately large amount of Candida albicans yeast in the stool samples of HIV patients suffering from seborrheic dermatitis.6 The can be two types of candida related skin problems. The most common is when candida overgrows within the digestive tract and then releases “mycotoxins”(yeast toxins) and Neuro-toxins (toxins that effect the nervous system) into the Digestive tract. These are skin problems, which are indirectly caused by Candida. These toxins can be absorbed into the blood stream and the lymphatic system. At this point these toxins have entered they general circulation and can cause a cascade of allergic reactions which result in eczema, psoriasis atopic dermatitis etc. Candida typically causes malabsorption of many important nutrients that would normally help nourish the skin and prevent allergic reactions. Without these nutrients we are more susceptible to dry, flaky and inflamed skin. Allergic reactions also increase due to the lack of nutrients to help the liver detoxify the allergic reaction via liver function.

Candida Growth directly On The Skin

It is less common that Candida causes an infection of the skin by directly invading the skin. Candida can infect mucous membranes and moist areas of the skin. Typical areas of infection are the lining of the mouth and vagina, the genital area and anus, the armpits, the skin under the breasts in women, and the skin folds of the stomach. Conditions that enable Candida to infect the skin include hot, humid weather; tight, synthetic underclothing; poor hygiene; and inflammatory diseases, such as psoriasis, occurring in the skin folds. These are skin problems that are caused by the direct growth of candida on the skin!

Infections in skin folds (intertriginous infections) or in the navel usually cause a bright red rash, sometimes with softening and breakdown of skin. Small pustules may appear, especially at the edges of the rash, and the rash may itch intensely or burn. A Candida rash around the anus may be raw, white or red, and itchy. Babies may develop a Candida rash in the diaper area

Penile candidiasis most often affects men with diabetes, uncircumcised men, or men whose female sex partners have vaginal candidiasis. Usually the infection produces a red, raw, sometimes painful rash on the head of the penis and sometimes the scrotum. Sometimes the rash may not cause any symptoms.

Perlèche is candidiasis at the corners of the mouth, creating cracks and tiny cuts. It may stem from chronic lip licking, thumb sucking, ill-fitting dentures, or any other condition that leaves the corners of the mouth moist enough so that yeast can grow.

Candidal paronychia is candidiasis in the nail beds, producing painful redness and swelling Nails infected with Candida may turn white or yellow and separate from the nail bed. This disorder typically occurs in people with diabetes or a weakened immune system or in otherwise healthy people whose hands are subjected to frequent wetting or washing.

Standard Medical Treatment

Usually, a doctor can identify candidiasis by observing its distinctive rash or the thick, white, pasty residue it generates. To confirm the diagnosis, a doctor may scrape off some of the skin or residue with a scalpel or tongue depressor. The sample is then examined under a microscope or placed in a culture medium (a substance that allows microorganisms to grow) to identify the specific .Generally, candidiasis of the skin is easily cured with creams containing miconazoleSome Trade Names

MICATIN
    MONISTAT
    LOTRIMIN
    MYCELEX
    OXISTAT
    NIZORAL
    SPECTAZOLE
    LOPROX
    MYCOSTATIN
    NILSTAT
    Jan
    If at first you don't succeed try try again!!
    My Space

Diagnosed: Arthritis 2002 Arthritis Foundation
    Diagnosed: IC Oct 2004 ic-network
    Diagnosed: RLS Feb 2005 RLS Foundation Southeren California RLS Support
    And my favorite url WebMD
    Taking: Mirapex, Elmiron and DitropanXL

CANDIDA SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS

By Michael Biamonte, C.C.N.

Candida Albicans has become a household word for many health conscious Americans. Candida is a yeast that lives in the human digestive system. It has the ability to change from a yeast and become a fungus. As a fungus it operates in a similar fashion to any other fungus such as athletes' foot fungus, etc. Candida is kept at low levels by the friendly bacteria that also reside in the digestive tract. The friendly bacteria feed on the Candida, thus a balance in the body is maintained. Modern medicine's "gift" of antibiotics, birth control pills, cortisone and chemotherapy kill this friendly bacteria as do street drugs, alcohol, and junk food diets.

Once this friendly bacteria has been destroyed, the yeast begins to overgrow and take over the digestive system. Left untreated, it becomes a fungus and grows into a plant-like structure complete with roots. These roots can break through the intestinal walls, allowing the yeast to travel to other areas of the body such as the sinuses, throat, reproductive organs, the lungs and skin just to name a few.

It is capable of producing over 100 symptoms. This makes it extremely frustrating for anyone with this condition to be able to find out or understand what is exactly wrong with them. Billions are spent each year on antibiotics, creams, nasal sprays, unnecessary hospital visits, operations and antidepressants, due to the ignorance and arrogance of the medical profession. It is written in their own journals that antibiotics can cause this condition yet they continue to boldly prescribe them and are resentful when discussing their side effects. One doctor who was backed into a corner on this subject during a radio talk show became hysterical with fear and began screaming: "THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS CANDIDA!"

The symptoms of Candida are so confusing that even a practitioner who wants to know about it can be confused. I truly believe that proper testing is the answer. It is my deep-seated belief that those who want to get well must find a practitioner who offers accurate testing. This way the real problem can be found and not overlooked.

Look over the list of all the possible symptoms Candida can cause and you will see why I so firmly believe that by symptoms alone one can be misled into treating a "major symptom" and miss the true culprit.

SYMPTOMS OF CANDIDA
    Intolerance of perfumes, odors, fumes, fabric shop odors and tobacco smoke.
    Complaints that worsen in damp, muggy or moldy places.
    Athletes' foot, jock itch, fungal infections on the skin or nails.
    Craving for sugar, bread or alcohol.
    Prostitis or vaginitis.
    Diarrhea.
    Constipation.
    Abdominal distention, bloating or pain.
    Gas or flatulence.
    Rectal itching or rash.
    Colic.
    Diaper rash.
    Vaginal itch, burning or persistent infections.
    Kidney, bladder infections.
    Cystitis (inflammation of the bladder with possible infection).
    Sinus infections.
    Joint pain or swelling.
    Acne.
    Hives.
    Rashes.
    Itching skin.
    Eczema.
    Psoriasis.
    Loss of sex drive.
    Impotence.
    Fatigue.
    Feeling drained.
    Memory loss.
    Feeling spaced out.
    Numbness, burning or tingling.
    Muscle aches.
    Muscle pains.
    Flu-like symptoms.
    Endometriosis (irregular or painful menstruation).
    Cramps or menstrual irregularities.
    P.M.S.
    Spots in front of eyes.
    Erratic vision.
    Drowsiness.
    Irritability or jitteriness.
    Mood swings.
    Depression.
    Suicidal feelings.
    Headaches.
    Hypoglycemia.
    Feeling of swelling and tingling in the head.
    Heartburn.
    Indigestion.
    Belching.
    Intestinal gas.
    Mucus in the stools.
    Hemorrhoids.
    Dry mouth.
    Sores or blisters in the mouth.
    Bad breath.
    Nasal congestion.
    Nasal discharge.
    Nasal itching.
    Post nasal drip.
    Sore or dry mouth.
    Sore or dry throat.
    Cough.
    Pain or tightness in the chest.
    Wheezing or shortness of breath.
    Asthmatic symptoms.
    Burning or itching eyes.
    Burning on urination.
    Ear pain.
    Ear aches.
    Ear discharges.
    Painful intercourse.
    Food allergies or food reactions.
    Hayfever.
    General allergies.
    Thrush.
    Hair loss.
    As you can see, the symptoms are so varied no one person has all the same set as another. The average Candida sufferer has 20 or more of these (while others have less and some have more). Many times they have given up on ever finding out what was wrong with them because all of these symptoms seem unrelated.

One patient spent 7 days in the hospital, was wheeled from one examination room to another--a grand tour of the hospital--only to be told it was all in her head. She was charged over $6000.00 for that stay. Upon her release a stool analysis was done and Candida was found. In addition, her symptoms were worsened by all the jello and the horrible hospital food.

Symptoms of Candida, regardless of what they are, will worsen in hot, humid or muggy weather. Like any mold or fungus, heat and humidity help it grow and spread. Symptoms can also vary according to one's diet. Sugar, alcohol, starches, fermented foods, sweets (even fruits) will increase symptoms by feeding the yeast organisms. This will cause them to grow and release more toxins which will produce symptoms. Stress is key in triggering symptoms. It has long been recognized that stress plays a part in lowering the immune function of the body. The immune system is what tries to keep the yeast under control. Simply being over-worked, over-tired, or over-stressed will cause an increase in Candida and therefore its symptoms.

The environment one lives in can play a big role if one is exposed to toxic metals, fumes, smoke, pollution, and in direct contact with various chemicals. The immune system can become overloaded and therefore further dip which will allow more yeast to grow.

If one finds that these conditions cause an increase in symptoms, there is a very good chance that Candida is present. Proper testing is essential to determine this for sure and to find out how bad the condition is. Blood tests can be inaccurate if they only test for Candida antibodies and antigens. These tests can show positive even after the Candida is gone or if one simply has an allergy to yeast. I believe a better solution is a blood test called a Candisphere, which measures the amount of the toxic protein that the large colonies of Candida release into the blood that are directly causing the symptoms.

Another new test can tell us the following: 1) How much friendly bacteria is present and able to fight the Candida. 2) How much harmful bacteria is present that can weaken the friendly bacteria acting as a friend to Candida. 3) How much harmful bacteria is present that can cause symptoms along with the Candida. 4) How well the digestive system is breaking down and absorbing all the foods we eat. 5) If there if is any inflammation or irritation in the intestines or colon from the Candida. 6) If the Candida has caused damage or leaks in the intestinal walls allowing allergens or toxins to come into the body. 7) How well the immune system in the intestines is working to fight the Candida.

This wonderful new test can help us understand exactly what Candida is doing and what damage it has created. This helps us understand the symptoms and their origin so as to eliminate much of the guessing that could otherwise take place. Candida can be trickier than a used car salesman and more confusing then our current economic problems. You could go crazy trying to figure out what all the symptoms mean and why they happen etc, etc. Please!!! find competent help. Don't drown in a sea of confusion or yeast!
    Jan
    My Space

With that information you can plainly see that it is not just a yeast infection. Candida also is the same as thrush so when you hear of a baby that has thrush its actually the candida. If anyone is interested in the site I got it from you are welcome in sending me a private message and I will give it to you as the sites also sells stuff and we are not allowed to post the link here.
    Jan
    My Space

Thread Information