Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis May Effect One Out Of Every 26 People In The USA

Endometrial Biopsy, anyone?

My doctor has recommended an endometrial biopsy, but I am afraid to have it done out of fear of a flare. Has anyone had this procedure done and what was your experience in regards to the IC? With the female organs so close to the bladder, I really don't want anyone messing around down there!

Thanks

ICN Member
    Hi there~

Exactly one year ago, I was diagnosed with IC. As part of the "ruling out" process, I had several pelvic ultrasounds, one of which showed an abnormally thickened endometrium (which has since been confirmed as "normal"). I had to have an endometrial biopsy to rule out uterine cancer and was terrified of inducing another flare, as I had only had my first, and most debilitating, flare under control for about 2 weeks...The biopsy itself was quite painful in a localized "bee-sting" kind of way, and I did wish that I had taken some painkillers prior to the biopsy, but lo and behold, no flare whatsoever from the procedure. Not immediately, not several days later. I was especially nervous about having the biopsy as it seems my IC is mainly triggered by sex, so the "messing around down there" fear factor was pretty high....I wish you well on the procedure! (I coped by squeezing the hand of the accompanying nurse, and counting, resolutely, backwards from 60 in my head) I hope this helps...

Thank you for your reply, Scain! I had a pelvic ultrasound too and it showed a normal endometrial thickness, but also showed what a horrible condition my uterus (and surrounding area) is in. They found adenomyosis, adhesions (from endometriosis), free-floating blood, etc. It's funny when the screen was so lit up with color, I knew there was something more wrong than I initially thought. The doctor gave me a dignosis right there in the room and kept asking if I was menstruating at that time. I was not. Well, anyway, at least I have an explanation now for the increasing pelvic pain. But now I'm facing a hysterectomy.

Who knows how that's going to affect the IC. It seems like Vicodin has become my best friend!!

Thank you so much for your response and well-wishes--I hope you're doing ok with your IC.
    Current diseases: IC, sjogren's syndrome, RA, hashimoto's thyroiditis, autoimmune diabetes, peripheral neuropathy (PN), TMJ, sciatica, sinusitis, endometriosis, adenomyosis, PFD, fibromyalgia

Current medications/supplements/treatments for IC: Marshmallow root, Prelief, probiotics, Ativan, Vicodin, rest, ice, heating pad, IC diet, high dose vitamin D, alkaline water.

Meds/supplements I tried and failed: Elmiron (caused immediate bladder pain), Cystoprotek (aslo caused bladder pain), Desert Harvest aloe vera capsule (aggravated another medical condition), Elavil (caused palpitations/dry mouth), alkaline mineral powder (caused bladder pain). Considered Interstim neurostimulation, but it only helps frequency/urgency.

Try to stay positive and find joy in every day!

Thread Information