Latest Blog Article: New Bladder Pain Treatment In Development - IC Clinical Trial Seeks Women with Moderate To Severe Bladder Pain

Thread: Trigger Points

ICN Member

Trigger Points

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who have had physical therapy for PFD could you tell me about trigger points? Basically, my PT inserts a finger in my vagina and presses on different areas. She will put light pressure on an area for a few seconds and then move on to another area. There isn't any actual "massaging" that she does internally. Is this what other physical therapists do as well? I've tried to do it how she does, but it's hard to reach. When I try with a dilator, I can't really feel real well where I'm touching or the amount of pressure. I've only been doing PT for about 3 weeks now. I flare everytime she does anything internal. I try to be gentle with myself when I do it, but I still do flare. Was this common for anyone else? Thanks!

Paula

ICN Member
    I've been going to PT for two years now. Mine does release internal trigger points like you described. Even though she nis near my coccxy I feel it near my bladder when she presses. I feel a little tender for a few hours after but after that I feel great! Before PT I couldn't sit, it felt like some one was putting a hot poker up my urethra , and I had hyper arousal of my clitoris. That is gone. You can buy a crystal wand to do home vaginal releases. She also gave me a soft ball sized rubber ball to sit on which really helps when I'm flaring.

Good Luck!
    Suzanne
    Last edited by suzannes; 01-10-2013 at 01:35 PM.

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suzannes View Post
    I've been gpoing to PT for two years now. Mine does release internal trigger poionts like nyou described. Even though she nis near my coccxy I feel it near my bladder when she presses. I feel a little tender for a few hours after but after that I feel great! Before PT I couldn't sit, it felt like some one was putting a hot poker up my urethra , and I had hyper arousal of my clitoris. That is gone. You can buy a crystal wand to do home vaginal releases. SHe also gave me a soft ball sized rubber ball to sit on which really helps when I'm flaaring.

Good LUck!
    Suzanne
    Suzanne,

When you first started PT, did your flares afterwards only last a few hours? Or did they last longer in the beginning and got better the more PT you did? Thanks for your response!

Paula

ICN Member
    My flares from PT lasted just a few hours,maybe just the rest of the day, I was always better the next morning.

Suzanne

ICN Member
    My flares from PT lasted just a few hours,maybe just the rest of the day, I was always better the next morning.

Suzanne
    Mine are lasting days...UGH! Have you ever tried valium suppositories? My PT suggested them. I'm going to try to get some from my gynecologist. I guess you insert them vaginally...I didn't even ask her.

Paula

ICN Member
    I've had 2 sessions so far, go in for my third tomorrow. Mine does the same thing, she presses one spot for about a minute and makes me breath slowly. Once the spot is released, she moves on to the next one. During and after I have a lot of burning in there, and burning when I pee. So far it hasn't last more than 2 days. She said it's very normal, and after a few months will go away! She told me it's like working out, the muscles hurt because it's working! Which sucks of course, I don't like hurting.

I'm very nervous and scared to try it myself. I am hoping my husband will take her up on her offer to teach him how to do it at home for me. She also recommended that I sit on a ball, of any size really, and let that help my muscles relax.

ICN Member
    Hi Pkgrant.
    I went throught the whole PT thing. Saw her for over 8 weeks. Made me flare up all the time. Never got any better. I know have been on the valium. I insert a pill every night. I have had some improvement in my symptoms from it. It's the only thing I've tried (and I've tried so many things) that helps me.
    Hi my name is Lynn. I am a 55 year old woman. I have been dealing with this IC, PFD, Vulvadynia or whatever it is for over 5 years now!! Burning, painful intercourse, painful bladder and problems peeing. It literally came on over night!
    I have Fibromyalgia, Reactive Arthritis, Vulvadynia, IC, PFD

Tried but did not help: Physcial Therapy, Bladder Instillations, Cystosopy was normal. Prescriptions: Pyridium, Hydroxyzine, Amitriptyline, Ditropan, Elmiron, Nuerontion, Lexapro, Cystoprotek, Vaginal Suppositories made from compounding pharmacy (valium 5mg , Baclofen 5mg, Diphenhyramine 5mg)

Currantly using: Effexor for the depression this causes, Calcium Citrate, AZO Bladder Control

ICN Member
    Onemorebite: My PT sent home a graph to show my husband where the trigger points where, etc. We tried but it just didn't work for us. I couldn't relax for some reason. I think he was too uncomfortable about it anyways. PT did not help me at all. Made me worse. Valium has been the only thing so far that gives me some relief.
    Hi my name is Lynn. I am a 55 year old woman. I have been dealing with this IC, PFD, Vulvadynia or whatever it is for over 5 years now!! Burning, painful intercourse, painful bladder and problems peeing. It literally came on over night!
    I have Fibromyalgia, Reactive Arthritis, Vulvadynia, IC, PFD

Tried but did not help: Physcial Therapy, Bladder Instillations, Cystosopy was normal. Prescriptions: Pyridium, Hydroxyzine, Amitriptyline, Ditropan, Elmiron, Nuerontion, Lexapro, Cystoprotek, Vaginal Suppositories made from compounding pharmacy (valium 5mg , Baclofen 5mg, Diphenhyramine 5mg)

Currantly using: Effexor for the depression this causes, Calcium Citrate, AZO Bladder Control

Re: Trigger Points

I've been going to PT for two years now. Mine does release internal trigger points like you described. Even though she nis near my coccxy I feel it near my bladder when she presses. I feel a little tender for a few hours after but after that I feel great! Before PT I couldn't sit, it felt like some one was putting a hot poker up my urethra , and I had hyper arousal of my clitoris. That is gone. You can buy a crystal wand to do home vaginal releases. She also gave me a soft ball sized rubber ball to sit on which really helps when I'm flaring.
    Suzanne if you don't mind me asking, how do you sit on the ball? In other words, where do you place it?
    24 years old, life-long IC sufferer. Main symptom is pain and burning after urination and now that annoying "gotta go" feeling after urination as well!

Current Medicines: Elavil, Levsin, Pyridium.
    Pain Management: Baking Soda Water, Physical Therapy, TENS unit, Ice Packs, Hot Baths, Relaxation.

Other treatments tried:Flexeril, Prosed DS, Tramadol, Lidocaine patch, Lidocaine gel, Rapaflo, Elmiron, Vicodin, Sanctura, MSM gel, Hydroxyzine, Marshmallow Root, Bladder Ease.

Other conditions: Depression/Anxiety, GERD, Headaches, Scoliosis/Back Pain, Recurrent Nausea, Low Blood Pressure, Chronic Low-grade Infection of Tonsils, Muscle Aches .

"Hold fast to dreams,
    for if dreams die life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.
    Hold fast to dreams for when dreams go,
    life is a barren field frozen with snow."

ICN Member

Re: Trigger Points

How much did physical therapy help u

Thread Information