Latest Blog Article: Vaginal Mesh Sling Complications and IC?

What does Elavil help with?

What does Evail help with? I know it is an antidepressant, but what IC symptoms?
    Diagnosed with IC in May 2011

Current Medications:
    Elmiron 400 mg daily
    Imipramine 75 mg daily

For me, the most important thing Elavil does is reduce the number of times I wake up at night to use the bathroom. When I first got IC, I couldn't sleep more than 20 minutes at a time without waking up with bladder pain & pressure. This went on for months, but after 1 week on Elavil, I was only having to get up once or twice per night. It also reduces the number of times per day I have to void and dramatically dropped my pain level.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

ICN Member
    Elavil is an antidepressant that when given in low doses can help some people who have chronic pain( particularly if it is nerve type pain). There are quite a few people who have IC that get relief with taking low dose elavil. When I took it, it made my bladder pain way worse. Actually I was given elavil for Gastro pain and when I took it, it helped my gut pain, but put my bladder in a nasty flare. Really weird, but I know a few people on here who also cannot tolerate it either. I think it all depends on the person. I would defintitely try it, it may help.

Usually Elavil helps the frequency symptoms the most. It can also be helpful for the pain, especially if the pain is nerve-related.
    I have...
    Intestitial Cystitis
    Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
    Vulvodynia
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    Fibromyalgia
    Pudendal Neuralgia
    Endometriosis

I am in pain daily and I am exhausted, but have come to terms with the life and the body I have and try to make the most of every day. My cats are my world entire.

I prefer to take...
    Hot baths and naps with cats

Make sure that if you get generic Elavil (amitriptyline), that you get it without dyes. The dyes in medications can cause flares for some patients.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

My doctor prescribed Amitriptyline yesterday for my IC symptoms. But I am not going to take this medication. It isn't going to help me. I just know. It isn't the answer, nothing is. I wish someone or something could help me but nothing does. Not the IC diet, not gluten and dairy free, not anti-biotics, not vesicare, not marshmellow root tea, not prelief, not Desert Harvest Aloe Vera. I'm so angry, and tired of having "ideas" thrown at me as if anything could help. My best advice is to say no to all drugs, but you have to chart your own path. Good luck.

ICN Member
    I know it can be maddening to have this disease. And, it can make us ****** off. During my last flare about a year ago, I was ready to throw myself under a bus, literally. But slipping into hopelessness is not a good idea. Have you literally tried everything there is to try, as suggested on this site by professionals and those sufering? Elavil works for me, symptom wise, although it took about a month to get past the side worst of the side effects. I am on something called the "Marshal Protocol" looking for true remission. (Checkout Dr. Greg Blaney, Stillpoint clinic in Vancouver, Canada. Very very impressive doc. He does a variation of the Marshal Protocol. He works by phone and via net as well as in person. I am a very sophisticaed consumer, as are the people who recommended him to me. I am a mental health professional and author, as is my wife. The friends who recommnded him are highly educated and succesful, out of the box thinkers. His dr. reviews on a web site that rates doctors gives him a 5 out of 5 stars. My book is called The Tao of Sobriety, just so you don't think I am simply blabbering. They say that what does not kill us, makes us stronger. Truth is, however, that what does not kill us traumatizes us. Get over that and we have something, but it takes all we have, so to speak, to soldier when in such fear and pain. Winning is reserved for those who do not give up. Yet, having jsut gone through a meg flare myself, I totally get where you are coming from. I only hope I can inspire you enough to do everything possible before giving up.

Awesome information! Thank you!!

Current Medications:
    Elmiron 400 mg daily
    Imipramine 75 mg daily

Also wondering David, does he just pain or other IC symptoms?

Current Medications:
    Elmiron 400 mg daily
    Imipramine 75 mg daily

Thumbs down failure of medical options

I just read about the Marshal Protocol because I hadn't heard of it before. There sure are a lot of theories of what could make people better. I don't want to be on anti-biotic anymore, though. I already exhibit some anti-biotic resistance due to over use of anti-biotic.
    Anyway, I just want to clarify that saying enough is enough and quitting all medicines and interventions doesn't mean you are doing nothing to help yourself. I believe that the best thing I can do is refuse Western medicine and alternative practices. Everything that I have tried to get better has either not helped or made me worse: oxybutin, vesicare, anti-depressant, anti-biotic, aloe vera capsules from Desert Harvest, marshmellow root tea, prelief, etc... I was really disappointed that marshmellow root tea made me worse because everything I read said that it would help.
    I think western medicine and alternative medicines pray on people with mysterious chronic illnesses because they know how desperate we are. But telling somebody you can help them when you can't is just plain wrong. And telling somebody you can help them when the chance of that person actually feeling better is extremely unlikely is misleading. I'm giving up on those who have given up on me or who never believed in me to begin with. Western medicine and alternative medicines just seek to make a profit but do not care about my long term ability to be pain free. That is why these drugs prescribed are mere cover-ups at best of the horrible pain I carry inside my body.

Quote Originally Posted by lildavid View Post
    I know it can be maddening to have this disease. And, it can make us ****** off. During my last flare about a year ago, I was ready to throw myself under a bus, literally. But slipping into hopelessness is not a good idea. Have you literally tried everything there is to try, as suggested on this site by professionals and those sufering? Elavil works for me, symptom wise, although it took about a month to get past the side worst of the side effects. I am on something called the "Marshal Protocol" looking for true remission. (Checkout Dr. Greg Blaney, Stillpoint clinic in Vancouver, Canada. Very very impressive doc. He does a variation of the Marshal Protocol. He works by phone and via net as well as in person. I am a very sophisticaed consumer, as are the people who recommended him to me. I am a mental health professional and author, as is my wife. The friends who recommnded him are highly educated and succesful, out of the box thinkers. His dr. reviews on a web site that rates doctors gives him a 5 out of 5 stars. My book is called The Tao of Sobriety, just so you don't think I am simply blabbering. They say that what does not kill us, makes us stronger. Truth is, however, that what does not kill us traumatizes us. Get over that and we have something, but it takes all we have, so to speak, to soldier when in such fear and pain. Winning is reserved for those who do not give up. Yet, having jsut gone through a meg flare myself, I totally get where you are coming from. I only hope I can inspire you enough to do everything possible before giving up.

Also I wanted to clarify that no I have not done everything there is to try, but the fact that nothing has worked so far is a pretty consistent pattern. Why keep trying things if that only makes me worse? It's a waste of money and time.
    Last edited by pennapril; 01-02-2013 at 03:23 AM.

ICN Member
    Hi there! I'm posting in several threads here hoping for some answers. When my flare began more than 10 days ago, the symptoms was problems with retention, then the urgency and frequency came along as well. But no pain, unless you call constant full bladder painful which I do! I'm also 11 weeks pregnant with my second child, no IC flare ups with my first pregnancy.

So my doctor prescribed me 10 mg of amitriptyline about 4 days ago and I've noticed a slight difference in urgency but nothing to the extent that I feel I can go back to work and function. I'm still in agony and beyond misserable. I'm so scared to go to sleep because I'm afraid of bladder getting so full and me not being able to empty it all the way. Does anyone else have any experience with my symptoms and did amitriptyline help?

I gave in

Despite my skepticism, I decided to take the amitriptyline. I was in so much pain. As much as I wanted to refuse western medicine, alternative medicine wasn't working either. I feel mildly better. My pain isn't as bad as it was but it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeventer7 View Post
    Hi there! I'm posting in several threads here hoping for some answers. When my flare began more than 10 days ago, the symptoms was problems with retention, then the urgency and frequency came along as well. But no pain, unless you call constant full bladder painful which I do! I'm also 11 weeks pregnant with my second child, no IC flare ups with my first pregnancy.

So my doctor prescribed me 10 mg of amitriptyline about 4 days ago and I've noticed a slight difference in urgency but nothing to the extent that I feel I can go back to work and function. I'm still in agony and beyond misserable. I'm so scared to go to sleep because I'm afraid of bladder getting so full and me not being able to empty it all the way. Does anyone else have any experience with my symptoms and did amitriptyline help?

Thread Information