Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News
    ICN Member

How Do I Get Rid Of Yeast In My Body

Hi Ladies,

I've been diagnosed possibly having IC. I don't have the urge or burning but have pelvic pain, cramping etc that gets predominately worse when I've stressed. Physical Therapy has been my savior! Also started Marshmallow Root and feel a HUGE improvement!

I've been reading lately that yeast infections may cause IC symptoms. I've been on birth control for over 15 years now and every time I have oral or vaginal sex I get a yeast infection within a week. Thank goodness I've been single most of my life......

Got me thinking. Do I always have a yeast infection and just don't have the external symptoms? So couple of questions to ask you ladies....

I'm going to start taking a probiotic. Any suggestions pill vs powder or what kind to get? Also going to start taking oil of oregano. Can I take both at once? Can I stay on both of this forever or do I have to stop taking?

Going to start cutting sugar etc out of my diet. The Candida diet is totally insane though. Do you think if I still have a few things in my diet that I still might be able to get rid of the yeast?

I want to stay on the pill because my periods are horrible off of them. Do you think I'll continue to have yeast problems because I'm on the pill? Is there any other form of birth control that doesn't cause yeast infections?

Thanks so much for your help!

Eastcoastlady

It's possible that you could have a systemic yeast infection, which means the yeast has built up and traveled to the blood stream. This is sort of serious, as it is essentially a blood infection.

I had one earlier in the year, after a stubborn yeast infection that would not go away until 5 weeks of Diflucan. I took AccuFlora brand probiotics. I would say yes, it is safe to stay on oil of oregano and probiotics.

I didn't have to eliminate all sugars out of my diet. I mainly stopped eating breads, candies, chocolates, fruit juices and soda. What helped me the most with the yeast infections was to drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar twice a day. I swear, it helped me 100 times more than the Diflucan ever did. I also felt as if I were "cleansed" - TMI alert - I had a lot of vaginal discharge and bowel movements the first few days of the vinegar, then felt a lot cleaner and still do. Now that my systemic infection is gone I only do the vinegar about once a week.

I was able to stay on my birth control, Seasonique, with no problems. You would have to talk to your doctor as to which ones do or do not tend to cause increased yeast infections.

Best wishes.
    I have...
    Intestitial Cystitis
    Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
    Vulvodynia
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    Fibromyalgia
    Pudendal Neuralgia
    Endometriosis

I am in pain daily and I am exhausted, but have come to terms with the life and the body I have and try to make the most of every day. My cats are my world entire.

I prefer to take...
    Hot baths and naps with cats

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
    Hi Ladies,

I've been diagnosed possibly having IC. I don't have the urge or burning but have pelvic pain, cramping etc that gets predominately worse when I've stressed. Physical Therapy has been my savior! Also started Marshmallow Root and feel a HUGE improvement!

I've been reading lately that yeast infections may cause IC symptoms. I've been on birth control for over 15 years now and every time I have oral or vaginal sex I get a yeast infection within a week. Thank goodness I've been single most of my life......

Got me thinking. Do I always have a yeast infection and just don't have the external symptoms? So couple of questions to ask you ladies....

I'm going to start taking a probiotic. Any suggestions pill vs powder or what kind to get? Also going to start taking oil of oregano. Can I take both at once? Can I stay on both of this forever or do I have to stop taking?

Going to start cutting sugar etc out of my diet. The Candida diet is totally insane though. Do you think if I still have a few things in my diet that I still might be able to get rid of the yeast?

I want to stay on the pill because my periods are horrible off of them. Do you think I'll continue to have yeast problems because I'm on the pill? Is there any other form of birth control that doesn't cause yeast infections?

Thanks so much for your help!

Eastcoastlady

Coconut Oil will cut down any yeast you have floating around in your body. It's also great to use down there. You can freeze a little and insert some, rub some down there (which is what I do) and or eat some. It's naturally an anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. I used to eat 1-2 tbsp a day. It's known to give you energy and if taken to late will keep you up. I usually just did the 1tbsp in the morning and I was good although sometimes I took another at lunch time. I did cut out sugar, yeast foods, and as much bread products as I could, but as I'm already on a gluten free diet I didn't feel the need to cut out everything. It really helped out a lot. I have IBS and show a lot of signs of having extra yeast in my body but ever sense I did the coconut oil (about 2 months I did it... maybe 3) my symptoms haven't been as sever and ever sense then apple cider vinegar has worked great for me. Keep in mind if you try this to start off with about 1 tsp and work your way up. It'll cause "die off" which can and will make your life miserable for a few days.
    Have you tried one of those refresh ph balancers? I hate them due to having to insert them but it really does help the whole yeast bacteria thing down there. It usually helps me out for about 2 maybe 3 days. You can also get some at the IC shop as well but I can't remember the brand they carry. I hope some of this was helpful. good luck to you!

It is possible that you have systemic yeast, as has been mentioned. Some people do need to be on systemic medications like Nystatin and Diflucan to get this under control. In my experience, I haven't seen people be able to get rid of yeast on "natural" supplements or by quitting sugar alone. It is a multifactorial treatment. Keep in mind, all bodies carry some yeast. It is when the yeast becomes unbalanced to the natural, healthy bacteria that it gets out of control (which is why repeated treatments with antibiotics is not good.)

If you suspect something, definitely talk to your gyn and learn all you can. Sending you understanding hugs!
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

ICN Member
    Thank you so much eyeliner! How much Apple Cider do you take? Should I take that instead of the oil of oregeno?

For treating yeast, a tablespoon twice a day. You can either put it in water or any liquid to mask the taste, or just drink a little vinegar and chase it with water, repeat until it's all gone - that's what I do.
    I have...
    Intestitial Cystitis
    Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
    Vulvodynia
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    Fibromyalgia
    Pudendal Neuralgia
    Endometriosis

I am in pain daily and I am exhausted, but have come to terms with the life and the body I have and try to make the most of every day. My cats are my world entire.

I prefer to take...

ICN Member
    eyeliner128 Does the apple cider vinegar bother your bladder at all? I have been hesitant to try it because i thought it might cause a flare. I know every body is different but just curious.

I thought it might too, but it doesn't.
    I have...
    Intestitial Cystitis
    Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
    Vulvodynia
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    Fibromyalgia
    Pudendal Neuralgia
    Endometriosis

I prefer to take...

I just got diagnosed with yeast in my blood stream by a blood test. i have had horrible symptoms: dark circles under eyes, eye pain, arms and legs tingling and hurt and feet and hands swell really bad. The doctor just put me on 6 weeks of diflucan and is running blood tests to check my thyroid as he thinks the IC and B12 deficiency could all be linked to a thyroid issue. i am considering trying the cococnut and the apple cider vinegar. i know trying to get rid of yeast is very hard to do.

ICN Member
    Totally going to try the vinigar thing, and eating the cocount oil. Yeast has been a nightmare for me on and off through preganancy. I am beyond sick of it. Every few days or so it'll come back. Probiotics nystatin and cutting out sugar/yeast along with vaginal coconut oil is NOT cutting it

Can you do both together: Can you drink the vinigar in the AM and the coconut oil in the AM, like before going to work?

I tried oil of oregano, did nothing for me!
    TMJ Dysfunction 2009
    Vulvodynia and/or PFD 2010
    IC, based on symptoms alone 2010.
    PCOS March 2012

8 month remission following the birth of my beautiful daughter Imogen Rose 25/12/12....currently flaring and hoping to get remission back, life without IC was amazing!

Currently using: IC Diet...pain meds as needed
    Medications / treatment tried and discounted:
    Fluconazole 150mg 1 per week for 6 months (yeast)
    Endep 25mg - 4months
    Lyrica 75mg - 2 months - FLARE
    Oxytrol patch - I think this caused retention.
    Countless creams, lotions and potions.
    Cystoprotek - no change in symptoms
    PT - for 1 year
    Various herbs and supplements

ICN Member
    Hi Claire,

I space out everything I take just in case they interact with each other. I usually take 1 tablespoon with 8oz of water in the afternoon then 1 tablespoon before I eat dinner. I'm actually been losing weight from taking it too!

I've started taking Marshmallow Root drops with water in the morning. I hardly have IC pain anymore!

Are you on the pill? Just wondering because that can cause yeast infections and sometimes even taking anti fungal items won't kill the yeast until you stop taking the pill.

Eastcoastlady

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
    Hi Claire,

I space out everything I take just in case they interact with each other. I usually take 1 tablespoon with 8oz of water in the afternoon then 1 tablespoon before I eat dinner. I'm actually been losing weight from taking it too!

I've started taking Marshmallow Root drops with water in the morning. I hardly have IC pain anymore!

Are you on the pill? Just wondering because that can cause yeast infections and sometimes even taking anti fungal items won't kill the yeast until you stop taking the pill.

Eastcoastlady
    Nah not been on the pill since June 11 for that reason exactly. I', pregant, it makes yeast worse. Have started on the cocount oil last night.
    Would be interested to try marshmellow root. It's not my IC that bothers me so much, its the vv
    TMJ Dysfunction 2009
    Vulvodynia and/or PFD 2010
    IC, based on symptoms alone 2010.
    PCOS March 2012

8 month remission following the birth of my beautiful daughter Imogen Rose 25/12/12....currently flaring and hoping to get remission back, life without IC was amazing!

Currently using: IC Diet...pain meds as needed
    Medications / treatment tried and discounted:
    Fluconazole 150mg 1 per week for 6 months (yeast)
    Endep 25mg - 4months
    Lyrica 75mg - 2 months - FLARE
    Oxytrol patch - I think this caused retention.
    Countless creams, lotions and potions.
    Cystoprotek - no change in symptoms
    PT - for 1 year
    Various herbs and supplements

ICN Member
    Hi Claire,

Did you break out after stopping the pill? I went on the pill over 15 years ago because of my horrible acne. I've tried to stop taking the pill twice within the last 15 years but after a month started breaking out like I was a teenager again. I've heard that evening primrose can help along with vitamin e and zinc for hormonal acne. Any help would be great! I know I have to get off the pill but being 31 and single with the possibility of breaking out is really freaking me out.......

Eastcoastlady

ICN Member
    Yes I broke out bad. Pro active helps. I have pcos so acne is just part of it. epo and zinc are great. Used them to help clear it up while we were trying to get preg. Your skin will settle somewhat once your body gets used to being off the hormones. Nothing in this world could make me go back on the pill, even my gp is against all hormonal birth control. Synthetic hormones are awful - reason so many of us can't have babies. Try the epo, really balanced things out for me, stopped period pain and sore boobs come that time of the month

Thread Information