Latest Blog Article: Vaginal Mesh Sling Complications and IC?
    ICN Member

Question Lubricant and UTI risk?

Hello,

I've read the advice on the forum about using lubrication during sex. However, does anyone know if lubrication increases your risk of getting a UTI? Has anyone gotten an infection thinking it was the lubricant? Sex has been causing me flares lately so I'd like to try it out but I'm also susceptible to getting recurring UTIs.

Thanks for any advice.

Hey there
    My IC started with my first UTI, which was sex-related. So I am always very wary of the same thing happening again.
    Lubricant helps bunches! We have sex so occasionally that when we finally do, my skin is very sensitive like my first time because it's been so long. I get cut really easily!
    I use a silicone-based lubricant called Wet Platinum. I did a lot of searching around and it seems like there isn't a specific type of lubricant that increases UTIs, although I know of someone who used KY and it gave her UTIs but I'm not sure how founded that claim was. Silicone is not harmful to you even though you may have heard that or heard horror stories about breast implants leaking silicone into the person's body. But silicone is only harmful if it is literally seeping into your bloodstream like from an implant—it will not harm you to put it inside of you or even if you're like me and you get cut. PLUS, silicone repels bacteria—bacteria can't stick to silicone. Once I read that, I was decided.
    Silicone is a bit messier than other lubes, but it's worth my peace of mind. Also after sex, don't forget to clean up and urinate—this reduces chance of UTIs by A LOT.

EDIT: Also, I used KY for a long time and never got any UTIs. I stay away from lubes that are 'natural' which sounds counterintuitive, but the natural ones often have the most ingredients! Simpler is better.
    Diagnosed January 2012
    after cystoscopy and hydrodistention

Management:
    100mg Elmiron 2x daily
    25mg Hydroxyzine
    Fish oil, Psyllium fiber
    Pyridium (when needed)
    IC Diet
    Meditation

I've had the greatest success in pain reduction by making myself green smoothies. Ask me for some recipes or follow me on Instagram: search username "brittanytheward" or hashtag "icdiet"
    I also keep a blog that sometimes addresses IC-related issues and discussion: www.tzillah.tumblr.com

I found using extra virgin coconut oil as a lubricant is least irritating for me and my husband.
    Tried Elmiron, Elavil, Atarax, Botox...with no success and/or adverse reactions.

Current: self administered bladder installations (down to 2x a day per dr advice), Lamictal, Lexapro, Lorazepam, Zyrtec occasionally, Prelief, Tramadol, Oxycodone, Trimethoprim at bedtime, Gabapentin, Omeprazole, Flector patch, Tens Unit, warm baths, other forms of heat therapy, IC diet, Gluten/Wheat free diet, vitamins and Premarin because of hysterectomy and osteoporosis.

Have difficulty getting pain under control from IC and other health issues. I've pretty much accepted it as part of my life.

I am thankful for supportive family and friends. Not everyone is supportive all of the time, but I am so thankful for the support I do receive.

I pray for healing for all and for a cure.

Thread Information