Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis May Effect One Out Of Every 26 People In The USA
    ICN Member

Nagging/Pulling feeling right behind pubic bone--is this a trigger point?

Hello Everyone,
    I got diagnosed with IC in early April, and I have been lucky to have seen some great improvement since then with the combination of meds, physical therapy, this network and a lot of research and understanding of what I'm going through and how to make it better.
    Today, I would say that I'm 85% better than I was at the beginning of this crazy and hard journey. I wish I knew what has helped me the most---the Elmiron, the Desert Harvest Aloe, the Elavil or the PT, but maybe it's just a combination.
    I said goodbye to my wonderful Physical Therapist last week. She thinks I've improved enough to go it on my own with the stretches and exercises. She says that I can see her if I start feeling worse. I have started experimenting with doing internal message on my own, but I don't even know what I'm looking for in there, but I do know I feel something that isn't quite right.
    I've had this since before I was diagnosed with IC and noticed it maybe first after my son was born in January of 2012. It's this dull, achey and sometimes all that I can describe as "raw nervey" feeling behind my pubic bone. Usually it's not too painful as long as it's not the "raw nervey" feeling that literally does sometimes feel like a "Headache in my pelvis", a lot of the time, it's like a nagging pulling feeling, almost like maybe the fascia is pulling on my pubic bone. But then maybe it's a trigger point....? I am wondering if anyone out there has had this and has figured out how to calm it down. Also, could this be the bladder? It doesn't feel internal to the bladder, that's why I think it's a muscle thing. Also, I can't help but wonder if this is what brought on the IC in the first place---as some doctors believe trigger points in the muscles can create a dysfunction in the organ. I keep hoping and praying, if I can get rid of that, then maybe I could get rid of my IC! I probably need to get one of the wand things so I can reach it, but I don't wan to make it worse. Any advice would be wonderful! I'm so thankful that we have this network!!!
    Many Thanks and Hugs,
    Emme

A "pulling" feeling is a textbook symptom of either a prolapse and/or adhesions. Thats not to say thats what youre dealing with however its a good place to start in trying to figure out whats going on. Have you informed your Drs about this symptom? A prolapse can be diagnosed in-office; adhesions can sometimes be felt by palpating the suspected area. Hopefully its nothing to concern yourself with though you wont know for certain until your Dr examines you.

Wishing you well...
    Diana
    (\__/)
    (o.O )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

ICN Member
    thanks for your response, Diana! I don't think it's a prolapse because I have had several internal exams and they haven't noticed that. Also, I've never had surgery, so it doesn't seem likely that it could be adhesions. I will still keep prolapse in mind. I really just want to find those trigger points on my own, but probably need to get the crystal wand.
    I think I felt it last night, and it was tiny and has felt better today. If only, I could continue physical therapy at least once a month!

Quote Originally Posted by dg2901 View Post
    A "pulling" feeling is a textbook symptom of either a prolapse and/or adhesions. Thats not to say thats what youre dealing with however its a good place to start in trying to figure out whats going on. Have you informed your Drs about this symptom? A prolapse can be diagnosed in-office; adhesions can sometimes be felt by palpating the suspected area. Hopefully its nothing to concern yourself with though you wont know for certain until your Dr examines you.

Wishing you well...
    Diana

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emme 1210 View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I got diagnosed with IC in early April, and I have been lucky to have seen some great improvement since then with the combination of meds, physical therapy, this network and a lot of research and understanding of what I'm going through and how to make it better.
    Today, I would say that I'm 85% better than I was at the beginning of this crazy and hard journey. I wish I knew what has helped me the most---the Elmiron, the Desert Harvest Aloe, the Elavil or the PT, but maybe it's just a combination.
    I said goodbye to my wonderful Physical Therapist last week. She thinks I've improved enough to go it on my own with the stretches and exercises. She says that I can see her if I start feeling worse. I have started experimenting with doing internal message on my own, but I don't even know what I'm looking for in there, but I do know I feel something that isn't quite right.
    I've had this since before I was diagnosed with IC and noticed it maybe first after my son was born in January of 2012. It's this dull, achey and sometimes all that I can describe as "raw nervey" feeling behind my pubic bone. Usually it's not too painful as long as it's not the "raw nervey" feeling that literally does sometimes feel like a "Headache in my pelvis", a lot of the time, it's like a nagging pulling feeling, almost like maybe the fascia is pulling on my pubic bone. But then maybe it's a trigger point....? I am wondering if anyone out there has had this and has figured out how to calm it down. Also, could this be the bladder? It doesn't feel internal to the bladder, that's why I think it's a muscle thing. Also, I can't help but wonder if this is what brought on the IC in the first place---as some doctors believe trigger points in the muscles can create a dysfunction in the organ. I keep hoping and praying, if I can get rid of that, then maybe I could get rid of my IC! I probably need to get one of the wand things so I can reach it, but I don't wan to make it worse. Any advice would be wonderful! I'm so thankful that we have this network!!!
    Many Thanks and Hugs,
    Emme
    I have this pulling feeling in my bladder when I am in a flare, mainly when I pee it feels like someone is pulling the muscles downwards. When I am not flaring I don't have the sensation.

I also have pulling sensations in my pelvic floor from time to time. Hope this helps.
    TMJ Dysfunction 2009
    Vulvodynia and/or PFD 2010
    IC, based on symptoms alone 2010.
    PCOS March 2012

8 month remission following the birth of my beautiful daughter Imogen Rose 25/12/12....currently flaring and hoping to get remission back, life without IC was amazing!

Currently using: IC Diet...pain meds as needed
    Medications / treatment tried and discounted:
    Fluconazole 150mg 1 per week for 6 months (yeast)
    Endep 25mg - 4months
    Lyrica 75mg - 2 months - FLARE
    Oxytrol patch - I think this caused retention.
    Countless creams, lotions and potions.
    Cystoprotek - no change in symptoms
    PT - for 1 year
    Various herbs and supplements

ICN Member
    For this last 8 weeks I have had severe pelvic pain that I describe as achy, crampy pain. I have been to a gyno, uro, pcp and finally the surgeon that did an exploratory laparotomy five years ago. The pain I feel is over my bladder/colon area and is aggravated by a full colon. During the last 8 weeks I have found that after using 3 antibiotics when they run out I develop a low grade fever, aches and chills. The bladder pain worsens as well. I am well past 30 years of age but since I was 30 I have had several abdominal surgeries for other issues. The longer this problem continues I notice other things that makes me feel this could be adhesions in that I feel a tugging in and around the painful area down in to the genital area. It is painful to sit as pressure against a seat is painful. Until July 9th my IC had been very well controlled with strict diet, a muscle relaxer, aloe vera and visceral manipulation. I am at my wits end as to how to deal with this who to go to next, etc. I will briefly say that even after voiding I can cath and still have a significant amount of residual urine that I cannot naturally void. I am assuming this is what could be causing the low grade fever, aches and chills when the antibiotic runs out. Does this sound like my bladder could be adhered to adjacent organs and possibly not draining correctly? I would appreciate anybodies thoughts on my situation. I have had adhesions previously as a results of all the surgeries. Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

Cillajane
    Last edited by Cillajane; 09-03-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: forgot to sign

ICN Member
    Hi Cillajane, I cant answer you on the antis because i always run a temp with or without them. I do have all the other pains you are mentioning, i also have an interstim, which hasn't really helped since i had the permanent one implanted in Aug 06. The trial one was amazing tho, that's why i went on with the perm one. I too would like to know if previous surgeries and adhesions have anything to do with it. I am going to see a new uro, as i have not been to one in 5 years, because i was just dealing with frequency, and not so much pain. That however has now changed for the worse. i guess since the earlier part of this year i have been in a severe flare,in constant pain and spasms. the only things that help to take the edge off is atarax, and loratab that my pcp gave me til i can see the uro. I have some supplements to try but been having bad gastro and diarrhea , and not sure if its the supplements or a coincident or not, i have stopped them for the time being, as the diarrhea makes the bladder much worse, even to the point today that I am having retention real bad, and retention hasn't been a real problem for me in the past, unless i took an over active bladder medicine, they would cause retention. i too have started on a strict diet avoiding unfriendly bladder foods, its only been a couple of weeks, and i haven't seen much in the way of relief yet, but am not giving up.
    I am sorry I really didn't help you much, just wanted to share with you what i am experiencing is similar to you, and hope we can both find answers. i see the new uro on Friday Sept. 13th, and have will type up a bunch of questions and my history etc to help uro understand what been going on with me this last 5+ years and what it has escalated too, and hope he will have some answers for me, and i will share and post them here. i do have a feeling I may need to see the gyno too, as I have been experiencing alto of pelvic pain, i have not experienced before. I only have my ovaries and fallopian tubes left, no uterus. But still something can be going on down there.
    i do hope you find relief soon, take care...Sheryl

I also have this pulling feeling in my pubic bone area and below. It seems to get worse when I squat. Has anyone noticed that? I just gave birth November 2010 and I also believe that has something to do with my IC. I have had this strange feeling in my pubic bone ever since I gave birth. I have also had a more active bladder but it didnt get really bad until I started exercising at Curves. Whenever I would do the machine that you have your legs spread and pull them together ( not sure what its called) I would get this weird feeling in my pubic bone area. I thought I was pulling a muscle or awakening a muscle I hadn't used in a while. Not even a month later I started having the horrible IC symptoms. I wish there was more research on this being the cause.
    Hello! I'm a 27yr old female with fibro and IC. Diagnosed by hydrodistention in July 2012..pain and urgency since March 2012
    Recently diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction 2013.
    Current meds: Zoloft, Lo Estrin BC, Levsin and hydroxyzine as needed, valium, pyridium as needed.
    Supplements: Desert harvest Aloe, DH Magnesium, Acidophilus, Marshmallow root tea, Multiright.
    Failed: Elmiron caused burning, Lyrica caused dizziness and weight gain, Elmiron, Lidocaine, and sodium bicarb instills caused extreme burning.
    Books and Dvds: New Dawn Pilates, Along the Healing Path by Catherine S., Painful Bladder Syndrome by Philip Weeks.

I think it is your prolapse too, I have something coming out of my vagina it is really hard and when I am having a hard time to move my bowels it hangs down and then when I sit down it hurts really bad and I can feel it pushing back up in. I have seen so much news on the bladder and it is not good, I wonder does anyone know a good way to go about this.Please pray for me and my husband he is 80 and I am 71, he is really bad sick the hospice want to start coming and he does not want to give up. I wish I had some help, but I feel like I should be the one doing all the care he needs.
    Good Luck to all who are hurting and having so many problems I will keep you all in my prayers.
    Sue041
    Sue

Prayers for you and your husband, Sue.

Symptoms began - 7/2005. IC Diagnosis - 11/2005
    Had four years relatively flare-free;
    Flare - 02/2010
    Urethral Sling Surgery - 11/2011
    Vaginal Atrophy - 08/2012
    Flare - 08/2012
    Diagnosed with Global Prolapse - 9/2012
    Flare - 01/2013

12/31/2010 Began Tamoxifen therapy to reduce high risk of Breast Cancer