Latest Blog Article: Is Interstitial Cystitis Caused by Anger? No!
    ICN Member

Oily substance in urine

Hi, I've noticed recently that my urine has a layer of what looks like oil on top of it. Has anybody noticed this before and knows what this could be?

I don't have an infection as I was tested recently and was clear.

I also have a lot of small white flakes in my urine, anybody have any ideas?

Sparkle, that's a new one to me! Is it possible that the white flakes are part of your bladder lining tissue? I know this is the weekend but is it possible you could call Monday morning to your urologist's office and describe it? Let us know what you find out.
    (formerly DonnaRenee1)

Diagnoses: IC, fibromyalgia, inflammatory arthritis, connective tissue disease, reynaud's, APS, (the lupus anticoagulant, also known as "sticky blood syndrome")
    Meds: low molecular weight heparins, synthroid, methadone for pain, tizanidine, cymbalta, pyridium plus, urelle, phenergan for nausea, ambien, lisinopril, norvasc, plaqenuil for arthritis, and over the counter Prelief
    Treatments: DMSO, occasional hydrodistentions, hot baths, strategically placed heating pads and ice packs, TENS unit, and everything from pity parties to prayer.
    I have lots of support from my family. My husband and my parents are amazing! I have a wonderful daughter who also has IC, and she has given me 2 precious granddaughters. They are my heart and soul! Thank you God for my family!

ICN Member
    I've read several posts here in the past that mentioned the white flakes being present in people's urine. You might try looking over some older posts on here from last year. I don't recall if anyone found out what exactly caused the flakes of tissue but everyone who had them also had IC. I haven't heard anyone mention having an oily film layer though. Do you use any kind of vaginal inserts for anything? Suppositories? Lubricants?

Yeah, I've also heard the oil slick and the white flakes here over the years. Seems it's something our bladder does because of the IC. However, I'm not sure "normal" people with healthy bladders ever check out their own urine, so who knows if it's in everyone's?
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

I've been noticing white flakes in my urine. My urologist believes it to be bladder lining tissue. It's amazing how us IC patients pay such close attention to our urine. I suppose you naturally pay more attention to something that cuases you so much pain.
    Rebekah - Diagnosed with IC and Hunner's Ulcers in March 2009

Two Hunner's Ulcers were removed by laser surgery surgery Jan 15 , 2010

Proud Mother of Jeremy Jr. Born on Wed May 4, 2011

"For every door that is closed a new one is opened"

The Lord's Prayer

Our Father, who art in heaven,
    Hallowed be thy Name.
    Thy kingdom come.
    Thy will be done,
    On earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day our daily bread.
    And forgive us our trespasses,
    As we forgive those who trespass against us.
    And lead us not into temptation,
    But deliver us from evil.
    [For thine is the kingdom,
    and the power, and the glory,
    for ever and ever.]
    Amen.

Thread Information