Latest Blog Article: New Bladder Pain Treatment In Development - IC Clinical Trial
    ICN Member

Question Coconut Juice and Aloe Juice

So I know we can eat preservative free coconut shreds. But what about Coconut juice? I'm not talking about the huge craze in Coconut water as those contains citric acids and sometimes added ascorbic acids, but the actual juice.

I found a brand of young coconut juice and so far it hasn't irritated my bladder and it contains a fair amount of potassium in it. I feel remarkably better after slaving away in a hot kitchen (no air conditioner in there) after I drink it.

I also found an Aloe Juice at the Super Hmart that I believe is ok for us. It only contains Aloe, water, sugar, and honey. It has a sugar count of 18grams but since we are so limited in what we can eat and drink I think it is ok for a splurge on occasion. It's brand name is wei chuan. It's something to look into for those of you who are tired.

Let me know what you guys think. I know that not all of you can drink this stuff due to different sensitivities as well as other dietary restrictions.

Hi Kami!

I haven't tried the coconut juice yet, but I drink coconut water all of the time. There are several coconut waters that are 100% pure coconut water with no citric or ascorbic acid in them. I like Zico the best for the taste and I get it at Whole Foods. It's delicious super cold and very refreshing! I can drink up to 10 oz. at a time. I will try the coconut juice and maybe the aloe juice. When you say, "...for those of you who are tired"...do you mean that the aloe juice gives you more energy? Does it because of the sugar or because of the aloe, I wonder..? (Guessing the sugar) Anyway, things that give me energy are something I am looking for! Let me know, thanks!

Hope you are feeling good and taking care!
    Current Medications:
    Amitriptyline (Elavil) 25mg 1X a day for pain and frequency; Tramadol HCL ER (Ultram ER) 200 mg 1X a day; Hydrocodone (Vicodin) 5-500mg as needed for pain; 1 mg Clanozapam (Klonopin) 3X per day for anxiety due to fear of flares and lack of sleep; Zyrtec 10mg 1X a day to keep histimine production low

Other Helpful Daily Regimens:
    strict adherence to the IC Diet; stress management; exercise; positive thoughts; and prayer

Failed Treatments:
    Oxybutynin (Ditropan) 5mg 3X a day, which caused dry skin/mouth and urinary retention

Quote of the Moment:
    Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

ICN Member
    Hi Brightside!

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to try Zico. I always got frustrated when looking at the Coconut water products as I was beginning to think all of them had one of the acids added to it! I'll have to search for it whenever I make my two hour trip to a Whole Foods (I'm also hoping I can find a product that can be used as a soy sauce substitute.)

Yeah, the Aloe juice is pretty much an energy booster cause of the sugar content. I sadly been using sugar to keep myself awake during my long days. Apples are a little better at least since the fiber keeps you from crashing too hard. A world without caffeine has proved to be harder world for me sometimes. Sometimes, I'm surprised by what I can do without as well.

At any rate, take care! Let me know if you end up trying either juices. The coconut juice comes in two forms: pulp and no pulp. The one with pulp is almost a meal unto itself, but I do like the nutty taste to it.

Have a great day!

I am glad to hear these recommendations. I am getting asked more and more about coconut juice/water. Personally, I don't like the taste....I have tried it a couple of times and just can't get past it. :-( But glad to know others are having good luck with it.

XOXOX
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Hey Kami! I will definitely try some coconut juice next time I go to Whole Foods. I have been meaning to try it. Which brand do you use? I am also going to look for the aloe juice or something similar like maybe one without sugar. I haven't been eating or drinking many things with sugar in them, but maybe I'll try it if there isn't that much sugar in it. Which brand do you use and do you know if there is a lot of sugar in it?

Trust me, I miss caffeine too. I have been looking for ways to boost energy. So far, I have been making a "green drink" with spinach, cucumbers, pears and ground flaxseed in it. I like it and it gives me a bit of a boost in a drink. And I know it is good for me.

I haven't tried apples yet but they are one of the next things on my list. I am going to look for the ones recommended on the IC Diet list to try. Which apples do you use without any problems?

Hope you are taking care too and are having a good day!
    Current Medications:
    Amitriptyline (Elavil) 25mg 1X a day for pain and frequency; Tramadol HCL ER (Ultram ER) 200 mg 1X a day; Hydrocodone (Vicodin) 5-500mg as needed for pain; 1 mg Clanozapam (Klonopin) 3X per day for anxiety due to fear of flares and lack of sleep; Zyrtec 10mg 1X a day to keep histimine production low

strict adherence to the IC Diet; stress management; exercise; positive thoughts; and prayer

Failed Treatments:
    Oxybutynin (Ditropan) 5mg 3X a day, which caused dry skin/mouth and urinary retention

Quote of the Moment:

ICN Member
    Brightside, I wanted to let you know I found some Coconut water at the organic market this weekend that was good! It was called Coco Libre. The flavor is signficantly lighter than in the coconut juice, which took some getting used to but it was pretty good! It had 60 calories in it and I can't remember the sugar content.

As for juice, I drink Amy and Brian's brand that I found at kroger. I've also tried Wei Chuan's brand that I found at a Super Hmart and I'm fairly sure you could find it at an Asian grocery store if you have on near by.

As for apples, I think the important thing is they must be ripe. I usually stick with Fuji apples and I'm normally find. But the ones that aren't ripe enough causes me to flare, so please keep that in mind when shopping.

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie B View Post
    I am glad to hear these recommendations. I am getting asked more and more about coconut juice/water. Personally, I don't like the taste....I have tried it a couple of times and just can't get past it. :-( But glad to know others are having good luck with it.

XOXOX
    Yeah, I know it takes some getting used to. Since I'm so limited (compared to before IC) I've gotten over my not liking the flavor and have come to appreciate it for what it is. It also doesn't hurt when I'm low on Potassium and having nightly cramps in my calf too (bananas, have caused some flares for me.)

This is not an advertisement!

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    Yeah, I know it takes some getting used to. Since I'm so limited (compared to before IC) I've gotten over my not liking the flavor and have come to appreciate it for what it is.
    This is the truth! I used to say I hated coconut and didn't like blueberries and stayed away from both of them before IC. Now, my favorite drink besides water is coconut water and I eat a handful of blueberries every day in my cereal. And, I don't enjoy them because I just have to eat something, I actually have really come to appreciate them for their taste. It's funny how you get stuck in old eating habits and tastes...Now, I am eating so many different foods, and the dishes I cook are so much more creative and better thought-out (not to mention more healthy!) These are good things that have come from getting IC...

I have tried a different brand of coconut water (not sure which one off-hand) and it wasn't as good as Zico. I really like the taste of Zico in particular, but it has to be SUPER cold. Often, after I come in from doing my vigorous 4-mile walk, I drink like 10 ounces of Zico coconut water SUPER cold. It is so refreshing!!! (I sound like a comercial-no I am not getting paid by Zico for this endorsement) The funny thing is, I was not a huge fan of it when I first tried it, but I kept drinking it here and there and now I love it! Go figure!!!

I am going to look for those brands Kami, and I'll let you know what I think when I try it.

Take care!
    Current Medications:

Failed Treatments:

Quote of the Moment:

Thread Information