Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News

Thread: IBS and UTI's??

ICN Member

IBS and UTI's??

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone else here has IBS or intestinal issues and are prone to UTI's? The reason I ask is because I have been having intestinal issues for the last year on and off. It all started after I got the stomach bug last year. Ever since I have had on and off issues with intestinal cramping and discomfort. I never had any diareha or constipation. But in the past two weeks I have gotten way worse with the IBS. I had one episode of diareha( I also had my period at the time) and have had constant intestinal pain and cramping. I have been sitting with the heating pad all day usually. Anyhow, I have been on a low dose antibitoic for over three years now to prevent the bad UTI's I was getting( I also take a ton of probitoics daily to help protect my GI tract. Well I worry because I still will get UTI's from time to time but not like I use to before being on the low dose anti-B. When I use the washroon to have a BM, I have to shower immediately to make sure I am clean and that bacteria will not have a chance to get into my bladder and cause a UTI. With the IBS being worse, I am worried that if I have to go have a BM more than once or twice a day, I will have to shower and clean after each time in order to prevent a UTI. Does anyone else have this issue with having to stay extra clean down there in order to help prevent UTI's? I was told by a doctor that to make sure you shower and stay clean after BM's if you get UTI's. I just know that it is hard to jump in the shower everytime you poop when you are feeling horrible and then what about getting irritation from washing so much down there. Anyone else out there deal with this?? What do you do about it? Sorry if this was too much info, just want to know if anyone else has this issue...

ICN Member
    I have had extreeeeem IBS ive had two posterier repairs.

They have flush-able wipes for cleaning for adults, they seem to work just fine for me.

They are usually by the panty liners for urine leakage.

ICN Member
    there is a product called Vani-cream (Im on vacation and dont have the correct spelling). After you are clean and dry apply the Vani cream it helps block moisture to help wit irritation (you may need to use a pany-liner until the cream starts working and you start using less cream).
    Do NOT use coritizone for itching, the cortizone thins the skin and makes it tender down there. You can get other products for itching with out cortizone. I go to the dollar store and have a tube that says anti-itch and it works fine.
    A doctor at MAYO went over this with me when I went in to see them for my problems.
    This doctor also said to find a MILD antibacteria soap to use to clean your bottom with. She told me my regular bar soap was too abrasive.
    Your Rx can order these things in for you. They are NOT a Rx but not every place has them in stock.
    If you contact me in 3 days I will be home from vacation and I can get the names of the products I use and post them.
    I was sooo very great ful when this doctor took me by the hand and told me how to care for my bottom. It saved me from major irritation, and from having to go in to a store and talk to someone about my problem : )

ICN Member
    jen, the name of the bar soap i use is called 'cetaphil' If you have a Walmart store they carry it by the area that has blemish control. It is an anti-bacteria soap in a white box i think it is 3.00 per bar of soap but I am the only one in my family allowed to use it so it lasts me a long time.
    Find some flushable wipes, some times they are by the baby products or the bladder pads.

ICN Member
    Thank you so much ChrisNes, I appreciate the advice. I will look for the moist wipes and the cetaphil bar soap. Do you also have to wash after each BM as well?? I am in so much discomfort from the stupid IBS. My intetsines are constantly cramping and in pain. What are your IBS symptoms??

ICN Member
    Hey Girl, I use a clean flush-able wipe with every BM. I am constipated 24 -7 that is why I have to take laxatives all the time. I am lucky if i poo one time per day.

The 2 bowel repairs I have had have reduced the diameter of my colon. I cannot have another surgery because I do not have enough tissue left to have another repair, I also developed a lot of scar tissue after each operation. Most likely if another pouch develops on my bowels I will end up with a colostomy bag. If it doesnt burst and 'end me' with all of the toxins that will get loose in my system. Sorry to be so blunt. I try to get the information out so NOBODY else has to go through all of this.

I believe my IC has caused my IBS because I am always in pain and pain makes me tense-up which causes our bowels to also tense up.

If a persons bowels were to rupture the toxins can get into your system so fast they can cause death. Im not trying to scare any body i just want people to know the facts.

I may also have some endometrosis attached to my bowels and of course the scar tissue from the operations to fix my bowels.

People should be aware of this esp people with IBS. IBS can go both ways, you can have a lot of loose stools or you can have chronic constipation.

The high fiber IBS diet does not go well with my IC diet, or my problem with tryglyserides.

I hope this helps you.

I know it was a GREAT help to me and my bottom : )

ICN Member
    In ND where I live this Act didnt work for me when i was fired. I had hired on as a person with a disability. ND laws are different from other States.

I do hope that this information below can help you find some information to help you in your fight for your Job.

I would think the school board would be more understanding of your situation with IC.

Wage and Hour Division (WHD)
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...iance/1421.htm

The Family and Medical Leave Act

The Family and Medical Leave Act ("FMLA") provides certain employees with up to 12 workweeks of unpaid, job-protected leave a year, and requires group health benefits to be maintained during the leave as if employees continued to work instead of taking leave. This Compliance Guide summarizes the FMLA provisions and regulations1, and provides answers to the most frequently asked questions. More detail on the FMLA may be found in the regulations (29 CFR Part 825).

Summary

The FMLA became effective August 5, 1993, for most employers and employees. (For those covered by a collective bargaining agreement (CBA) in effect on that date, the FMLA became effective on the expiration of the CBA or February 5, 1994, whichever was earlier.)

This law covers only certain employers; affects only those employees eligible for the protections of the law; involves entitlement to leave, maintenance of health benefits during leave, and job restoration after leave; sets requirements for notice and certification of the need for FMLA leave; and protects employees who request or take FMLA leave. The law also includes certain employer recordkeeping requirements.

ICN Member
    Thanks for all the info.

Sorry to hear about all the stuff you have been through. I right now am not having diareha at the moment,thank God. That is what I hate because if I have to use the washroom more than once a day, forget it, I feel like I will spend all my time showering and cleaning down there just to ensure I do not get a UTI. I also likely have endo as well. My gyne told me a long time ago that she felt thickening in my endometrium when she did a pelvic exam. I know the only way to really dx it is through laproscopy, but she discouraged me from having it done. She said having any type of surgery there is risk to developing scar tissue. I have had two surgeries already. In 1991 I had a c-section and in 96 had an exploded ectopic pregnancy. So I am not in any rush to have anymore surgeries if I dont have too, so I agree with you there.

My main issue is pain in my intestines right now and that feeling of always having to go. It is very uncomfortable, that is for sure....

Thread Information