Latest Blog Article: Female Triathletes At Risk For Pelvic Floor Disorders
    ICN Member

Itching in urethra?

I have tingling and burning sensations off and on in my urethra and lately there has been some itching too. Do others get an itchy feeling too occasionally? I thought maybe it could be a mild yeast infection but overall it doesn't quite feel like one. Anyone else experience this? Thanks.

Jem
    Hi Petal,

Yes, I get this too sometimes, especially as a result of medications or other irritants. Here is a link to an article which I found very helpful in explaining it. I am actually experiencing these symptoms as we speak and it's awful. I am about to go for a bath to try and clear the irritation and relax my muscles. Hope you find the article helpful too and that you are feeling better soon.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/articl...overview#a0101

Jem Xoxo
    Last edited by Jem; 01-28-2012 at 09:18 PM.

ICN Member
    Thank you for the article Jem. That sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing, except my symptoms overall are much worse at night and I actually feel worse after going to the bathroom, not better. I'm going to make sure to mention it to my doctor too. I hope you got some relief from the bath!
    Last edited by Petal; 01-29-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Jem
    No bother Petal,

Yes, I'm the exact same! I'm always worse at night too and I also find I get worse sometimes after peeing. But I think the rest of the article was pretty much like me. The bath helped when I was in it, but my symptoms have continued since I got out the water. It's the worst flare I've had in a while. I've decided to spend the day in my jammies drinking plenty of water, with a hot water bottle pressed against me. Hoping it will pass soon. It def feels like it's in my urethra - a sort of continual wet, tingly, drippy feeling. But when I go to pee nothing happens!

Hope you get on okay at the Doctors.

Jem xoxox

ICN Member
    I'm also dealing with this awful intching in the urethra! I'm not sure if it's yeast, either. I saw some recommendations for a probiotic called Fem Dophilis in some other threads and am trying it. I recently started physical therapy again and don't know if that set it off. It's maddening.

Although many IC patients experience symptoms in their urethras, have you tried taking an anti-yeast to see if it gets better? It would be nice if it were a simple fix!
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Jem
    Hi Julie,

How do you find out if it's a yeast infection and what is anti-yeast?

Jem xoxox

You could have the doctor culture a swab that they take from the urethra. I have taken Diflucan for yeast infections in the past. I hope that helps!
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Jem
    That's great. Thanks Julie! I'm surprised my GP has never considered yeast infections before. Good to know! Xoxo

ICN Member
    It doesn't feel quite like a yeast infection but it can't hurt to look into it. Thanks Julie.

ICN Member
    This place is full of wonderful information. Thank you for everyone who has the courage to share your experiences. I find I'm embarressed (newly dx) and wonder if it's just me then I read where other are experiencing the same issues. This whole ic can be so overwhelming.
    I thought it was strange & didn't think the issues could be related but know I'm rethinking it.

Thread Information