Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder
    ICN Member

D-Mannose and Yeast Infections?

I have been using D-Mannose to help prevent UTI's, specifically after sex. Well, it worked great, I haven't gotten one UTI or any slight burning or anything bladder-related since I started using it, except I got a yeast infection. I went to a gyno, got it diagnosed (apparently it was a very mild infection) and she prescribed an OTC treatment. It appeared to work, but within less than two weeks the symptoms came back and I re-treated it. This is strange to me because it has been years since I have had a yeast infection, and that was almost a decade ago. I started thinking that although the D-Mannose is probably great for protecting the bladder, that it could be leading to these yeast infections. I mean, diabetic women are prone to them because of uncontrolled blood sugar, right? Could all of this undigestable sugar from the D-Mannose that is being excreted with the urine be predisposing me to yeast infections? Or is it likely something else?

The other threads about chronic yeast infections are concerning me. I have had two rounds of OTC treatment (doctor recommended) and it still feels slightly itchy down there. I even started eating some yogurt with active cultures for the first time since starting the IC diet, and it doesn't seem to be irritating my bladder yet. I'm just hoping it goes away. If anyone else has any experience with D-Mannose and yeast infections I would love to hear about it.
    Symptoms began: January 2010
    Diagnosed with IC: May 2010

Began with burning during/after urination, frequency, urgency, urethral spasms. Recurrent UTIs since 2002. Pelvic pain.

Current Rx:
    Glucosamine/MSM tablets daily (1/2 a 1500 mg tablet Kirkland brand)
    IC diet
    stretches/relaxation/sitzbaths/heating pad

Used in the Past:
    Gepan Instills (Chondroitin sulfate) 1x/mo until Sept 2010
    Loratidine (Antihistamine)
    Tilidin (opiate analgetic not commonly prescribed in U.S.) as needed
    Cystoscopy w/Hydrodistention: May 2010 (found this temporarily relieved my spasms and urgency)
    Reside in Germany

ICN Member
    That is interesting. I also take Dmannose twice a day. I get itchy down there at time to. I also take probiotics daily ( florajen3, and 50 billion critical care by renew life). I also will drink some plain kefir every other day. I still get the itchy sometimes also burny feeling down there. Are you having discharge as well? Did your gyne do a swab and check to see if there was an overly anount of yeast??

Jen

ICN Member
    Oh, also are you sexually active?? This alone can promote yeast infections in some women as it disrupts the flora down there.

Jen

ICN Member
    Thanks for your reply! Yes, i am sexually active. That's actually the reason i wanted to try d-mannose in the first place, because every time i've gotten a UTI it's been the morning after. The lack of typical discharge is the weird part. I had a couple of yeast infections as a teen, and then two about 8 years ago. I always had the typical discharge, but this time I didn't. The lack of typical discharge and the fact I hadn't had a yeast infection for forever led me to go to a gyn to have them take a look under a microscope and make sure. They did find a very "light" infection. It's weird though, because in addition to the lack of discharge these new yeast infections actually made the perineum and posterior feel very raw, which i don't remember having before. Anyway, probably more than you wanted to know! Interesting that you take d-mannose and get itchy too. I definitely am going to step up the yogurt with live cultures in my diet, especially since it doesn't seem to be bothering my bladder.
    Symptoms began: January 2010
    Diagnosed with IC: May 2010

Began with burning during/after urination, frequency, urgency, urethral spasms. Recurrent UTIs since 2002. Pelvic pain.

Current Rx:
    Glucosamine/MSM tablets daily (1/2 a 1500 mg tablet Kirkland brand)
    IC diet
    stretches/relaxation/sitzbaths/heating pad

Used in the Past:
    Gepan Instills (Chondroitin sulfate) 1x/mo until Sept 2010
    Loratidine (Antihistamine)
    Tilidin (opiate analgetic not commonly prescribed in U.S.) as needed
    Cystoscopy w/Hydrodistention: May 2010 (found this temporarily relieved my spasms and urgency)
    Reside in Germany

ICN Member
    I also am getting that raw like feeling at times. I especially when I am in the shower and the water hits it, it stings. I am wondering what your gyne meant by light infection. We all normally have yeast in the vagina at all times. It gets to be a problem I think when there is more yeast and less lactobacilis.

I try and not use anything in my vagina if I dont have to. If your irritation is on the outside, there are some over the counter creams you can try. I find alot of the over the counter creams to be irritating. I have a girlfriend who uses pure coconut oil and rubs a little down in the irritated spots. Also as a tip, coconut is a good yeast killer from what I have read. Not that I would put it inside, only on the outer irritated areas.

I hope your itchiness goes away. Try and maybe not wear undies when you are at home to let it air out. Maybe wear a long t-shirt or long skirt. This helps some.

Jen

Thread Information