Latest Blog Article: IC Awareness Daily Fact #29 - Smoking and IC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ICN Member

Vaginal valium suppositories - need advice

My GP has prescribed me vaginal valium suppositories 5mg. I am hoping they will help with PFD. I know from experience that .25-.5 oral ativan helps tremendously. Does anyone know how oral vs regional administration differs? I spoke to the compounding pharmacist and he said that because the vaginal area has a good blood supply that there could be a systemic effect. A dosage of 5 mg. seems to be a bit high if it were to effect you systemically which has me kind of nervous.

I am also curious to know what symptoms are relieved from taking the suppositories.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Suzi

ICN Member
    Suzi
    10 mg of valium is equivalent to 1 mg ativan. Valium is much less potent, so the prescribed mgs will be higher than what you get with ativan, whether it is prescribed orally or in suppository.
    Symptoms started Nov 2003.
    Diagnosed Nov 2004.
    In remission since Aug 2009.

Favorite quote: "Moderation kills." ~ Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.

ICN Member
    I do know you can definitely get side effects from anything you put in your vagina. As far as dosing goes, the pharmacist would be the one to ask, they know all about meds. They however probably will not be able to tell you much about the valium being used vaginally since it was not meant nor tested to be administered this way.

Oh, also, valium and ativan are basically the same drug( different manufacturer). I kind of want to say valium is the stronger of the two, not 100% sure on this, again I would ask the pharmacist. But I will say when I was taking ativan orally, it had no effect really on me( did not help). I was taking it to help me relax. The valuim was somewhat stronger and was a less dose than that of the ativan.

anyways, if you are worried, you could always cut the pill in half and see how that does if you are worried about it being to strong. Better to be safe than sorry right?? Good luck and hope it works for you.

Jen

ICN Member
    Jen, can you clariify what you mean by valium is the stronger of the two. According to benzo diazapene equivalency charts, 1mg of ativan = 10 mg valium, so in my mind, that makes ativan the stronger of the two. Thx.
    Valium tends to have more sedating and muscle-relaxing effects, so that may be why it appeared "stronger" to you.
    Last edited by Briza; 12-15-2011 at 07:45 AM.
    Symptoms started Nov 2003.
    Diagnosed Nov 2004.
    In remission since Aug 2009.

Favorite quote: "Moderation kills." ~ Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.

vag. compound suppositories

I am currently taking them but I haven't really noticed a difference. I have been taking it for about 2 weeks now..
    Diagnosed with: Endometriosis 2010 Interstitial Cystitis and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction 2011

SURGERIES:
    Tubal ligation 3/2010 found endo
    Diagnostic Lap. 2011. Found intestinal scar tissue
    Cystoscopy 2012- nothing found
    Hydrodystention 6/2012 - found that the walls of my bladder bleed and confirmed IC
    Hysterectomy 7/19/2012- more scar tissue around my intestines and more endo lesions. Helped with the period pain. No more periods.

I am in constant pain. No one around me understands the daily fight I have just to get out of bed.

ICN Member
    Hi Briza.

I remember when I was taking ativan and my doc switched me to valium saying it is stronger and works better. I went to the pharmacy and asked the pharmacist and he is the one who told me that they were basically the same drug, but that the valium is somewhat stronger. I honestly do not know, but maybe since it did have a stronger sedative effect it seemed stronger. As far as the dose or miligrams and in terms of which drug has more, I really am not sure.

Jen

ICN Member

Valium Suppositories

I use the vaginal valium suppositories and I get no systemic affect from it but it has helped me a great deal on the nights I use it. There is definitely a relaxation of the pelvic muscles/floor. I can feel it once it goes into effect.
    I did notice that there is a difference in the way compounding pharmacies make them. The 1st prescription was fine. I went to a different pharmacy for the 2nd one and it burned. They must have used something different so back I went to the original place and asked them to write down what they used. They don't want me to tell the 2nd pharmacy what their compound is but I'm going to compare the two so I never have that happen again. There must have been something in it that wasn't in the 1st one. I had never thought of that! Anyway, all I can tell you is that I am in the beginning stages of dealing with this with PT and a uro-gynecologist so it's baby steps for me but the vaginal valium has helped.

Valuim Suppositories

I am on VALUIM SUPPOSITORY GEL (RECTAL) I find it helps me ALOT I am on 15mgs.. I have never done the vaginal one but the rectal one is wonderful.. it helps with my flares too.. I have not had to take pain meds since I started this med either kinda nice.. speaking of which i need to go take it hahhaa... goodnight everyone hope you find something that helps you..

With all the pain in the world comes love and hope.. For someday they will find the cures for all the pain we suffer and just take it all away and we can again be pain free and enjoy life.. and remember those who suffer the same pains and sorrows are usually the ones with the most understanding hearts
    Hugs and Loves
    Melinda

Multiple health issues.. IC , Type 2 diabetic, Knee problems (7 surgeries), Fibromyalgia, Cystoscope with botox injections done on 11/17/11, Hystorectomy in 2005, Asthma, Migraines, High BP, High colestoral, pseudotumor cerebri and Depression..

ICN Member
    My Dr. prescribed 5 mg. oral Valium tablets to insert vaginally. It's the actual tablets. Sometimes they seem to relax me. My main symptom since Sept. is bad pain after urination. Most of the pain is vaginal but i do hve pelvic pain too!! Very frustrating.. hurts so bad!

ICN Member

For Melinda

Melinda, why did they give you the valium rectally? Is it better delivered to the tissues, muscles, nerves-whatever that way? I'm in really bad pain today in the bladder. I didn't even think last night when I ate some cookies that had chocolate in them. Mindless! Now I'm paying big time!

ICN Member

Chrissy

I hear you Chrissy. The pelvic pain is the one that is giving me the most trouble right now, although the bladder flares when I don't watch it. I'm sorry that you are in pain. I didn't know that we could insert the regular valium tablet instead of having the valium suppositories compounded. It would certainly be a lot cheaper. I'm going to talk to my uro-gyno about this the next time I see her. Hope you get some relief. If you feel like talking about what kind of pelvic pain you have I would welcome it. I'm fairly new to this. It all flared after surgery on my uterus. I'm not happy about this. Not one bit.

ICN Member
    Aww thanks Maria.. i've had IC for 13 yrs. & was doing pretty well for a number of yrs. I would get mild flares but they would go away. I've had bad pain since Sept. My worst symptom has been bad pain after urination.. feels like a terrible UTI. Then i will get the pelvic pain & pressure.. some days frequency too. If i'm not gonna b home i can't drink that much lately. Water goes through me faster than milk though.. Vanilla ice cream or milk shakes hve been very soothing too! Hot pad also! I had surgery on Dec. 1st for an inguinal hernia.. it was very low on left side.. in the pelvic area. Hoping i'm just dealing wth a long flare & things will improve soon. The tablets work great.. u insert them & it's best if ur planning on resting on the couch or going to bed. Once in awhile they do hve clumps or look like a vaginal discharge when using the restroom.. but that's normal & for me it's not everyday. I insert 1 or 2. Also another benefit.. if it's a bad day for me wth pain or stress & need to relax i will take 1 orally too! I like them! I'm starting physical therapy in Jan. for pelvic floor. Praying that helps too! I know wht ur going through.. don't ever give up!! God has been my strength, my family & these support groups!

I used it vaginally and it helps on non-flare days. During flare days nothing works.
    23 year old student
    Had symptoms since I was 5

Been on forums since '07, knew I had this since then, received mild treatment without true diagnosis due to anxiety. Diagnosed by symptoms on 4/08/11.

Had first horrible flare in 07, bad doctors, had to research IC myself to clue in onto what it was. After following the diet I went into remission.

Big flare in 09 due to an untreated bladder infection. Still recovering.

Currently: Continuous Birth Control, vaginal valium (10/6/11), ditropan, soma as needed, Elmiron (4/08/11), UTA (4/08/11), Quercetin (4/08/11), continuous Trimethoprim for infections (10/6/11), Heating pad, Benedryl, harsh diet

What I know works: Benedryl, diet, birth control, UTA, valium, ditropan, soma

What didn't work: Elavil, vistaril (12/22)

My blog: http://theicwarrior.blogspot.com/

I agree, during flares, nothing but knocking me out would work. But two days ago I think I found the perfect cocktail of things that work great for the regular pain. The vaginal suppositories, vicodin and my medical marijuana. Great combo for my IC pain! Plus I think the bladder instills and pelvic floor therapy are kicking in.
    Diagnosed with: Endometriosis 2010 Interstitial Cystitis and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction 2011

SURGERIES:
    Tubal ligation 3/2010 found endo
    Diagnostic Lap. 2011. Found intestinal scar tissue
    Cystoscopy 2012- nothing found
    Hydrodystention 6/2012 - found that the walls of my bladder bleed and confirmed IC
    Hysterectomy 7/19/2012- more scar tissue around my intestines and more endo lesions. Helped with the period pain. No more periods.

I am in constant pain. No one around me understands the daily fight I have just to get out of bed.

How do you even request marijuana? I'm not even sure if its legal in Louisiana. I'm afraid my doctors will just kick me to the curve if I bring it up.
    23 year old student
    Had symptoms since I was 5

Been on forums since '07, knew I had this since then, received mild treatment without true diagnosis due to anxiety. Diagnosed by symptoms on 4/08/11.

Had first horrible flare in 07, bad doctors, had to research IC myself to clue in onto what it was. After following the diet I went into remission.

Big flare in 09 due to an untreated bladder infection. Still recovering.

Currently: Continuous Birth Control, vaginal valium (10/6/11), ditropan, soma as needed, Elmiron (4/08/11), UTA (4/08/11), Quercetin (4/08/11), continuous Trimethoprim for infections (10/6/11), Heating pad, Benedryl, harsh diet

What I know works: Benedryl, diet, birth control, UTA, valium, ditropan, soma

What didn't work: Elavil, vistaril (12/22)

My blog: http://theicwarrior.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information