Latest Blog Article: Cyclosporine Study Seeks Men and Women Who Have Failed Previous IC/BPS Therapies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Elavil + Tramadol (dangerous?)

Does anyone have any experience with taking Elavil (10 mgs daily) and Tramadol (200 mgs daily) at the same time?

There's no definite answer out there on the internet, but there are a few horror stories. My urologist mentioned that the objective for me personally is to move on from the Tramadol to the Elavil... but I haven't started the Elavil yet and am afraid to quit taking my tramadol.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    "Verily, with every difficulty there is relief" (94:6) Holy Qur'an

29 Year Old Male

Symptoms Began: 11/2007

Months of Antibiotics
    Months of GP and Urologist Visits
    First Cystoscopy Found Nothing
    Second Cystoscopy w/hydrodistention......Jackpot!

Diagnosed with IC: May 2008

Currently Meds:

Tramadol
    Raw Honey
    Raw Ground Black-Seed (Nigella Sativa)
    Elmiron (stopped taking since I cannot afford w/o insurance)

Your pharmacist should be able to tell you if the two meds taken together are a problem. I understood from your post that your doctor doesn't have a problem with the combination.

It's important to remember that for every treatment out there, you will find at least one horror story on the internet --- when you read a horror story, it's always good to check further and ask your doctor if you still have concerns.

Sending warm hugs,
    Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

I tried Tramadol, I was not able to take it. I have tried it on 2 didfferent times, and both times 20 mins after taking it my bladder burns big time, and i flare for a few days from it.

We all react differently to meds.

Good luck MG

ICN Member
    I can't advise you on interactions between elavil and tramadol but I believe this has been discussed before so if you do a search of this site you will likely find the discussions on this topic.

I do know that tramadol should not be stopped abruptly if you have been taking it regularly. You'll need to discuss with your doctor how to taper off if safely, as it can cause a wicked withdrawal syndrome in some people, which no matter how rare you don't want to experience for yourself.
    Symptoms started Nov 2003.
    Diagnosed Nov 2004.
    In remission since Aug 2009.

Favorite quote: "Moderation kills." ~ Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.

same boat

I just came here to ask the same thing. I've been on tramadol for about 3 yrs. taking 100mg at least 2x a day. I also take zoloft 50mg a day(taken for 12+yrs, well before I was diagnosised with IC)

My doc just put me on elavil 25mg. I'm just now see that it's not recommended to be on elavil with either of these drugs. The drugs.com site rated elavil and tramadol as a major interaction risk.

Doc suggested adding elavil because this year my anxiety leaving my house is out of control. And she thinks it will help also with IC pain. Is that true? I wonder about the high mg too.

Anyone else on this combo of drugs?
    ~Laura

There can not be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

March 2006 IC tested positive

current treatments for IC:
    Zoloft 100mg
    Prelief
    tramadol hcl 50mg (4-8 per day)
    diphenhydramine (1 nightly)
    elavil 25mg, Just started Nov 11

additional meds for pain if needed:
    darvacet
    loratab
    percocet
    tried Elmiron for over year and didn't see much of a change, gained weight

Also take Lisinolpril for high blood pressure

Other conditions:
    IBS '93
    depression '94
    stomach ulcers '95
    Mitral Valve Prolaspe Syndrome '01
    Migraines since childhood
    Chronic Fatique '03

It's not the number of years in your life that matter but rather the life in your years.

ICN Member
    I called the pharmacy awhile ago and asked the same question. I was told not to take them together. I'm not certain about this but I think it was due to the sedating effects of the drugs. You should call your pharmacy and ask them directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardengirl2 View Post
    I called the pharmacy awhile ago and asked the same question. I was told not to take them together. I'm not certain about this but I think it was due to the sedating effects of the drugs. You should call your pharmacy and ask them directly.
    Sedating is right! I've been taking them together but trying to ease up on the tramadol. I'm so sleepy and could sit and do nothing all day. I think pharmacist often know more about drug issues then drs. Thanks for your post. I think I will call about it.
    ~Laura

Zoloft 100mg
    Prelief

darvacet
    loratab
    percocet

Other conditions:
    IBS '93
    depression '94
    stomach ulcers '95
    Chronic Fatique '03

It's not the number of years in your life that matter but rather the life in your years.

ICN Member
    I was advised by my pharmacist not to take them together due to an increase in risk of seizures.
    Symtoms started July 2010.
    Severe pelvic floor pain only.

2 time PT graduate!
    In medical remission since August 2011; able to eat and drink anything I want currently.

IC meds:
    200 mg Elmiron in the morning
    100 mg Elmiron @ night
    Macrobid after intercourse

03/11 07/11 01/12
    If at first you don't succeed: 07/26/2013!

The major reason you can't take SSRIs, tramadol or Elavil together is because of Serotonin syndrome. All three meds release serotonin and so if you are taking high doses of each/all you could be at risk for serotonin syndrome, although its a rare event. I discovered this info for myself when I was receiving tons of prescriptions from different doctors and I started doing drug interactions checks because I was taking so many drugs. Sure enough, doctors had been telling me to take things that shouldn't be taken together! However I think at the doses I was using I had nothing to worry about. One of my doctors recently told me the small amount of tramadol I use occasionally wouldn't be risky with the cymbalta I'm on. I think you'd better print out the info on drug interaction sites to show your doctor and double check with him/her.
    IC symptoms since Dec. 12 2010 after confirmed bladder infection "never went away." Recently also diagnosed with PCOS, piriformis syndrome, and pelvic floor dysfunction, sinus issues. I was in great health before fall 2010.
    Current medications: citalopram 40 mg, valium 2.5 mgs a night, lidocaine patch (for back pain), Prelief
    Therapies tried or continuing: stretches, walks, baths, internal massage, physical therapy, IC diet, IF unit, heating pad, mindfulness based stress reduction classes, cognitive therapy, books on IC and pelvic pain...

Drugs Tried: the urinary analgesics, 4 kinds of muscle relaxants (including in suppository form), hydroxyzine, 3 kinds of TCA's, lyrica, cymbalta, 6 months elmiron, vesicare, antibiotics, prednisone (after sinus surgery), NSAIDS...
    Supplements: over 20 herbs and supplements, including regimens from TCM practitioner and a naturopathic MD
    Intravesical/Surgical: 3 instills of Uracyst, 2 “rescue instills” lidocaine, bicarb, elmiron; 1 self-instill of marcaine, a steroid, bicarb and heparin; 1 hydrodistention and capsaicin instill (made me worse, still recovering two months later...)
    Other: Acupuncture treatments, magnets (LOL), Anti-Candida Diet (2 months), Wheat free diet, water pH

What is serotonin syndrome? isn't serotonin something to help mood? taking all 3 together should make me "off-my-rock" happy I'm going to pick-up a lower dose of elavil at the Target pharmacy today. I asked the nurse at my dr office if I could maybe have a lower mg of elavil, she had me on 25mg and from reading posts here it sounded like most are on a much lower mg. Dr called in I think a 10mg. The 25mg had me falling asleep all day long. I couldnt get anything done.

After reading this, I think I'll take all 3 drug bottles into the Target pharmasist and see what they have to say. Because of insurance I get some of my prescriptions at local B&M and other thru mail order so I guess the pharmacy doesn't know everything I am taking.

I think that the pharmacy might be more knowledgable then my dr. She's pretty screwy. I dont trust her much but she gives me meds so I hang on to her.

Quote Originally Posted by DaniMSC View Post
    The major reason you can't take SSRIs, tramadol or Elavil together is because of Serotonin syndrome. All three meds release serotonin and so if you are taking high doses of each/all you could be at risk for serotonin syndrome, although its a rare event. I discovered this info for myself when I was receiving tons of prescriptions from different doctors and I started doing drug interactions checks because I was taking so many drugs. Sure enough, doctors had been telling me to take things that shouldn't be taken together! However I think at the doses I was using I had nothing to worry about. One of my doctors recently told me the small amount of tramadol I use occasionally wouldn't be risky with the cymbalta I'm on. I think you'd better print out the info on drug interaction sites to show your doctor and double check with him/her.
    ~Laura

Zoloft 100mg
    Prelief

darvacet
    loratab
    percocet

Other conditions:
    IBS '93
    depression '94
    stomach ulcers '95
    Chronic Fatique '03

do a google search for serotonin syndrome please!!!! It is not a good thing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome

The pharmacist will probably tell you not to take any of them together, when a doctor would advise you based on your doses how much of each thing you can take together before putting your at risk for serotonin syndrome.
    IC symptoms since Dec. 12 2010 after confirmed bladder infection "never went away." Recently also diagnosed with PCOS, piriformis syndrome, and pelvic floor dysfunction, sinus issues. I was in great health before fall 2010.
    Current medications: citalopram 40 mg, valium 2.5 mgs a night, lidocaine patch (for back pain), Prelief
    Therapies tried or continuing: stretches, walks, baths, internal massage, physical therapy, IC diet, IF unit, heating pad, mindfulness based stress reduction classes, cognitive therapy, books on IC and pelvic pain...

Drugs Tried: the urinary analgesics, 4 kinds of muscle relaxants (including in suppository form), hydroxyzine, 3 kinds of TCA's, lyrica, cymbalta, 6 months elmiron, vesicare, antibiotics, prednisone (after sinus surgery), NSAIDS...
    Supplements: over 20 herbs and supplements, including regimens from TCM practitioner and a naturopathic MD
    Intravesical/Surgical: 3 instills of Uracyst, 2 “rescue instills” lidocaine, bicarb, elmiron; 1 self-instill of marcaine, a steroid, bicarb and heparin; 1 hydrodistention and capsaicin instill (made me worse, still recovering two months later...)
    Other: Acupuncture treatments, magnets (LOL), Anti-Candida Diet (2 months), Wheat free diet, water pH

PS I feel ya on the 25 mg of Elavil, I would have fallen asleep standing up. I was groggy most of the day just taking 12.5 mgs a night.

Well I took the Rx bottles with me to the pharmacy. I was told there was no problem with taking the 3 together. I then mentioned the serotonin concern and she said that it would no interference. She seemed very sure of herself.

I am glad to get the 10mg instead of the 25mg. I think I might even try to split in half on days I need to get things done. Those little pills are hard to cut but I got a good splitter that does a decent job.

I will try to cut my tramadol down to no more then 4 pills day.

I read about the syndrome, sounds scary. I already have high blood pressure, and am agitated. When the tramadol kicks in I sweat more. then this fits me hypervigilance ("state of increased anxiety which can cause exhaustion" & "constant scanning of the environment for threats")

But these symptoms can be the result of many things or just someone's personality. I think with 2 professionals allowing me to be on the meds, it must be ok. But I do think the doc doesnt consider that I'm petite (110lbs) and maybe lower doses are needed sometimes. Hopeful the 10 mg will be better for me.
    ~Laura

Zoloft 100mg
    Prelief

darvacet
    loratab
    percocet

Other conditions:
    IBS '93
    depression '94
    stomach ulcers '95
    Chronic Fatique '03

I take both elavil 25mg and tramadol 50 mg and have not had any issues. I love the tramadol it works really good for my pain. The elavil helps with the night time bathroom usage.
    Nicole

Me and my cat chewbie he is my BFF

Kidney stones August 07

Cystoscopy with Biopsy 10/22/07 by Uro who did not know what was wrong with me sent me to U of M 3/13/08. Was in pain from August to now. I have found some relief with the medications.

Diseases -- Diabetes since 1990 -- Stroke 2000

Quote Originally Posted by cowdean View Post
    I take both elavil 25mg and tramadol 50 mg and have not had any issues. I love the tramadol it works really good for my pain. The elavil helps with the night time bathroom usage.
    good, comforting to know that there is someone else taking the combo. may I ask how much tramadol do you take a day? just 50mg?
    ~Laura

Zoloft 100mg
    Prelief

darvacet
    loratab
    percocet

Other conditions:
    IBS '93
    depression '94
    stomach ulcers '95
    Chronic Fatique '03

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information