Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News

Buprenophine/Butrans Patch/Suboxone - Opioid Info.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let people know about a relatively new pain medication I have been taking. Although I was unable to take it due to side effects (insomnia, lots of itching, aggitation), it worked wonders for my IC pain and thought it might be something for those of you who need pain relief to check into if all else has failed for you.

It is called Buprenophine or Butrans 7 day patch. It comes in pill form and also in a 7 day patch. I used the patch, which was super convenient, no messing around with pills daily.

Also, there is another medication called Suboxone which comes in pill form as well as a small piece of film which you put underneath your tongue that melts away, it has Buprenophine in it as well as Naloxone. I have a girlfriend who uses this one and found it worked well for her IC.

Anyways, just thought I would share.
    Live Well
    Love Much
    Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
    Dec 2005
    Diagnosis:
    IC
    Cysto/Hydro:
    Dec 2005
    Other Conditions:
    Anxiety, Insomnia, Chronic Sinusitis, Bursitis of the hip, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, PFD, Inflamitory Arthritis of the neck, Allergy to Yeast and Dairy
    Meds for IC:
    Prosed/DS as needed which works much better for me than Pyridium, Prelief, Coffee Tamer, Claritin 5mgs and sodium bicarb as needed.
    Alternative Treatments
    Physical therapy for 8 weeks, Acupuncture (just started).
    Other Meds:
    Skelaxin (as needed)
    Didn't work:
    Detrol LA (didn't help symptoms), Pyridium 200mg isn't working very well anymore.
    Tried:
    Elmiron (Major Dizziness), Hydrodistention (Greatly exacerbated IC symptoms), Urised (hard time breathing), Ditropan (bladder pain the next day), Rescue Instillations - Lidocane, sodium bicarb (all over body rash with itching),

ICN Member
    Thanks for the info - I saw an advertisment for the patch in my doctors office recently and wondered if it would be helpful for IC.

Hi Cindy,

You're welcome.
    Live Well
    Love Much
    Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
    Dec 2005
    Diagnosis:
    IC
    Cysto/Hydro:
    Dec 2005
    Other Conditions:
    Anxiety, Insomnia, Chronic Sinusitis, Bursitis of the hip, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, PFD, Inflamitory Arthritis of the neck, Allergy to Yeast and Dairy
    Meds for IC:
    Prosed/DS as needed which works much better for me than Pyridium, Prelief, Coffee Tamer, Claritin 5mgs and sodium bicarb as needed.
    Alternative Treatments
    Other Meds:
    Skelaxin (as needed)
    Didn't work:
    Detrol LA (didn't help symptoms), Pyridium 200mg isn't working very well anymore.
    Tried:
    Elmiron (Major Dizziness), Hydrodistention (Greatly exacerbated IC symptoms), Urised (hard time breathing), Ditropan (bladder pain the next day), Rescue Instillations - Lidocane, sodium bicarb (all over body rash with itching),

Thanks

I actually posted a question about this patch a few weeks ago. My Dr is talking about switching me to this patch instead of Morphine. The morphine is making my blood oxygen level really low. I have been weening myself off the morphine for 7 weeks. and he is thinking that this may not make it happen anymore. So I really appreciate the helpful information. It was very helpful...
    Started Vaginal Valium Suppositories April 2014
    Hysterectomy April 2003 (for abdominal pain),Diagnosed with IC August 2003
    Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Disorder 2004,Had right ovary and fallopan tube removed 2005
    Diagnosed with diverticulosis 2006,Interstim December 2006,Home Instillations 2007-not effective
    Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia November 2007,Appendectomy February 2008,
    Interstim repair December 2008,Removal of the Interstim August 2011,
    6 Hydrodistentions from 2003-2009 Diagnosed with restless leg syndrome March 2014
    Diagnosed with Raynaud's Syndrome November 2013
    Ambien 5mg for sleep.
    Elivil 50 mg at bed
    Lisinopril 20mg in AM
    Effexor 225 mg
    Oxycodone 5mg if REALLY needed for pain
    Baclofen 20mg 3x a day
    Phenazopyridine 200 mg as needed
    Omeprazole 20 mg at night
    Lyrica 450 mg daily
    Requip .50 mg at night
    Ketorolac 10 mg as needed for migraines

Hi Kris10,

You're welcome. I hope it works for you if you try it.
    Live Well
    Love Much
    Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
    Dec 2005
    Diagnosis:
    IC
    Cysto/Hydro:
    Dec 2005
    Other Conditions:
    Meds for IC:
    Alternative Treatments
    Other Meds:
    Skelaxin (as needed)
    Didn't work:
    Tried:

I am absolutely going to give it a try!
    Started Vaginal Valium Suppositories April 2014
    Hysterectomy April 2003 (for abdominal pain),Diagnosed with IC August 2003
    Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Disorder 2004,Had right ovary and fallopan tube removed 2005
    Diagnosed with diverticulosis 2006,Interstim December 2006,Home Instillations 2007-not effective
    Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia November 2007,Appendectomy February 2008,
    Interstim repair December 2008,Removal of the Interstim August 2011,
    6 Hydrodistentions from 2003-2009 Diagnosed with restless leg syndrome March 2014
    Diagnosed with Raynaud's Syndrome November 2013
    Ambien 5mg for sleep.
    Elivil 50 mg at bed
    Lisinopril 20mg in AM
    Effexor 225 mg
    Oxycodone 5mg if REALLY needed for pain
    Baclofen 20mg 3x a day
    Phenazopyridine 200 mg as needed
    Omeprazole 20 mg at night
    Lyrica 450 mg daily
    Requip .50 mg at night
    Ketorolac 10 mg as needed for migraines

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.
    Live Well
    Love Much
    Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
    Dec 2005
    Diagnosis:
    IC
    Cysto/Hydro:
    Dec 2005
    Other Conditions:
    Meds for IC:
    Alternative Treatments
    Other Meds:
    Skelaxin (as needed)
    Didn't work:
    Tried:

ICN Member

Suboxone

I've read a lot on Suboxone a little too late and this is my understanding. Of course, please do your own research to make sure I have my facts straight and decide what's best for you. I was placed on Suboxone now to my distress, unfortunately.

Suboxone is prescribed off label for pain and works well for IC pain in my case, though it has had no effect on frequency and urgency.

The major downside: It's intended to motivate those addicted to opioid based street drugs to get off of them because it makes opioid based drugs (e.g. heroin) ineffective, including emergency room pain killers or those received after a valid surgery. Suboxone makes stronger drugs you may one day need ineffective, such as morhpine in the ER, Vicodin after surgery, Tramadol, etc.

A person addicted to heroin or other pain killers cannot get high while taking Suboxone, so he or she continues to avoid opioid-based drugs to his or her benefit understanding the risk outlined above.

Suboxone itself is also addictive and its withdrawals last typically longer than other opiod medicines, though it is considered a more mild to moderate withdrawal period than "harder" opiate drugs. I hope this isn't scary for anyone on Suboxone. It is sincerely my understanding and i would encourage anyone to verify and update me if I'm mistaken anywhere.

Mike

I was going to say, suboxone is, after methadone, the hardest opiate to get yourself off of - the withdrawals are much more intense, and they last much, much longer. Trust me - I took methadone for my IC for a long time and when I got off I thought I was dying. Suboxone withdrawal is nearly the same. I essentially would recommend these only in cases in which absolutely nothing else helps. Also, MikeJ is right, afterwards, other opiates seem to do nothing for you for a long time, because it takes a long long time for your nerve cells to upregulate the number of opiate receptors they are displaying - so if you take something like Vicodin during the months after you get off these things, your body will essentially laugh at it and you'll still be in pain. Lovely, huh?

However, if you are finding absolutely nothing else works for you, then these can be good medications. Just make sure you're with a doctor that has experience with them - and not all doctors can prescribe stuff like Suboxone (buprenorphine), so that is also another concern.

Good luck!
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member
    Hi everyone, sorry to dig up an old-ish thread, but I was wondering is anybody else is currently taking buprenorphine?

I was prescribed the patches (5mcg/hour for the first week, then 10 (where I'm at now) then 18.5 and then 30) and they seem to be helping. For the first time in four months I've been able to have sex, could still feel that the pain was there but it was numbed enough for me to continue.

It is making me feel rubbish though, I'm feeling all spaced out, numb, and INCREDIBLY exhausted, making going to work almost impossible and I've fallen asleep on the floor there a couple of times recently. I've also been put on duloxetine instead of amitryptaline at the same time, still on pregabalin and daily antibiotics to prevent infections. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat?

x
    Seven years of hell ongoing, chronic bladder and urethral pain with an umbrella diagnosis of 'chronic pelvic pain syndrome'

Procedures done:

3 x Cystoscopies (1 with biopsy)/1 x Kidney Ultrasound/1 x Laparoscopy (found old endometriosis)/1 x Pelvic MRI/12 Cystistat Instillations/1 x Nerve Block in my spine (no anaesthesia)/Acupuncture

Drugs I've had:

Nabilone/Tramadol/Dosulepin/Amitryptaline/Oramorph/Gabapentin/Pregabalin/Ketamine/Duloxetine/Buprenorphine

Due to have Sacral Nerve Neuromodulation Therapy in April 2012 (Insterstim Therapy I believe it's called)

Currently taking:

600mg Pregabalin, 120mg Duloxetine, 30mcg/hour Buprenorphine through transdermal patches, Laxatives every night and a nightly Trimethoprim antibiotic.

im starting suboxone tomorrow. im not sure what dose it will be, or if it will be in pill form.

I saw one of you posted this should be as a last resort, but I have never been prescribed long term meds. I have only taken vicodin. Why is withdrawl so bad? What should I expect...you guys are scaring me!!!
    Diagnosis: IC '09, vulvodynia '10, fructose intolerance '06, GERD '06, fibromyalgia '09, IBS '10 and TMJ '09, PCOS '11, genital herpes '12

Current Meds: Butrans patch, welbutrin, lamictol, geodon, xanax, aldactone, linzess, topimax, trazadone and diflucan as needed.

Meds tried before: Elmiron, elavil, antibiotics, welbutrin, cymbalta, prozac, nerve blocks, instills, nyastatin, flexerol, percocet, naproxen (which was what I was given for pain for years).

ICN Member
    I'm doing ok on the BuTrans patches at the moment. Struggling to get to work though but they are being understanding. It's definitely helping with the pain, I'm able to have sex again after four months of it being totally impossible! Each time I increase the strength of the patch it takes me a good five days to get over the worst of it, to stop feeling so high and sleeping 12 hours at night and napping another 6 hours during the day.

Other side effects have been difficult urinating, it's really hard to get the flow started and when it does, it all comes out 'stop, start' rather than one long normal wee. I'm waking up shaking too but that might be another med, the patch is itching a tad and I noticed I'm sweating a bit more but that's it. Hopefully once I get to my max strength patch (30mcg/hr) and have a week off to recover from that (the doctor said I'd need that) I will start to just feel a bit more normal on them. But they are definitely helping the pain, and the ability to have sex again is an absolute revelation for me.
    Seven years of hell ongoing, chronic bladder and urethral pain with an umbrella diagnosis of 'chronic pelvic pain syndrome'

Procedures done:

3 x Cystoscopies (1 with biopsy)/1 x Kidney Ultrasound/1 x Laparoscopy (found old endometriosis)/1 x Pelvic MRI/12 Cystistat Instillations/1 x Nerve Block in my spine (no anaesthesia)/Acupuncture

Drugs I've had:

Nabilone/Tramadol/Dosulepin/Amitryptaline/Oramorph/Gabapentin/Pregabalin/Ketamine/Duloxetine/Buprenorphine

Due to have Sacral Nerve Neuromodulation Therapy in April 2012 (Insterstim Therapy I believe it's called)

Currently taking:

600mg Pregabalin, 120mg Duloxetine, 30mcg/hour Buprenorphine through transdermal patches, Laxatives every night and a nightly Trimethoprim antibiotic.

Ginaaa22 - Withdrawal from methadone and buprenorphine are worse than other opiates because these drugs have such a long half-life in the body. It varies person to person - but the average is about 60 hours for methadone and buprenorphine. While morphine can be out of your body completely in 7 days (ie, you go through a couple days of intense withdrawals, then a few days of less intense withdrawals, and you're done), it takes methadone and suboxone months to be out of your system completely, so if you want off of either you have to have a doctor that can support you. In addition, the withdrawal symptoms have been shown in studies to be twice as intense, so be aware when you finally wish to get off (if ever - some people stay on this stuff forever, and that is perfectly okay as long as you are happy with the therapy!! ).

I simply wanted off of methadone because the FDA has put black box warning after black box warning on it for things like fatal heart arrythmias and respiratory arrest, and since I don't really feel like suddenly dropping dead at 38 years old, I thought it best to get off in a hurry. Now, my doctor was kind of an idiot about it and didn't do the taper properly, so I had to quit cold turkey when I got to 10mgs per day (go from 10mg to none all at once), which is NOT RECOMMENDED.
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member
    My wife has suffered terribly from IC for years. She has tried many non-pain management techniques with no success. Eventually most of her treatment became pain management with opoids. A year ago she began using Methadone. It did a great job with her IC symptoms but basically cut off her bowel function. She decided to try and scale down on the dosage in the past several months to see if it would help with the constitpation. There was no impact. She got to such a small dose with no pain that she went completely off the Methadone. However, within a few days, the full blown IC symptoms returned. In the middle of all this, her GI doctor began her on Miralax twice a day and Linzess once a day. We had to briefly take her to the ER (she flushed the Methadone) and they gave Dialud (4mg) which greatly helped the pain but not as well as the Methadone. During this week and a half, her bowels started to return to normal. When we finally got back to the pain management doctor, he suggested she try Buprenorphone (Suboxone). It greatly helped with the IC pain but she now cannot urinate without a catherter (new problem) and she has an unexplained headache. We are going to talk with a doctor about Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) next week. It is FDA approved for depression but has also showed great results with pain and will likely soon get approved for pain as well. My wife is also switching to a new Uro/Gyn. Her current Uro/Gyn specializes in IC but has terrible bedside manner. I think this will make a big difference. Isn't IC just the worst?!
    Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thread Information