ICN Member

Where do you get your Catheters?

So I had my very first totally succesful Self Cath with heparin/bicarb/lido. Its my fourth catheter but my first succes with getting the catheter in AND the medication. However I have only one cath left now! I spent an hour on the phone with one company that won't call until monday I'm in a very small town far from much of anything.

So here are my questions:

Where do I get Catheters?

Who have people had the most succes with as far as online supply companies?

Where are places you can get supplies on a weekend?
    Diagnosed April 2009 with stage IV endometriosis
    Hysterectomy 2009 - lost both ovaries to endo
    Dx with IC sept 6th, 2010

Current Meds:
    Zyrtec
    Flonase
    Hydroxzine
    Albuterol
    Atrovent
    Tramadol
    Ranitidine
    Protonix
    Hyophen

cathedters

I get them from a company here in California I don't know the name of the company they just arrive every month here at my front door, the name of the catheters is Lo fric they are the best.
    Blessings,
    Ruth

I use 180 Medical. They ship them to me automatically once a month (along with the syringes to get the meds out of the bottles and the syringes to put the meds into the catheter). They bill to my insurance, so I just have a copay after my deductible is finished.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

ICN Member
    I just spent two hours on the phone this afternoon calling 1800 numbers and my local pharmacy. However My Catheters are coming vie Liberty Medical tomorrow. The rest of my supplies will be coming through Rite Aid pharmacy! I went there this afternoon with the list and they were very helpful. They will order all the syringes, needles, and meds and have them by tomorrow as well. Yeah! I was just going nuts with dead ons online and 1800 numbers and finally 1800 medical suggested I call my Insurance and ask them how to do it. I was literally on the phone with the insurance for 45 minutes but it was a worthwhile phone call because they told me to go to the local pharmacy, mentioned Rite Aid, and it worked! So anyways, no Cath today since I was out of supplies but hoping to be back at it by tomorrow.

Current Meds:
    Zyrtec
    Flonase
    Hydroxzine
    Albuterol
    Atrovent
    Tramadol
    Ranitidine
    Protonix
    Hyophen

ICN Member
    Still waiting for supplies... I got a call late last night from Rite Aid saying they had to do all kinds of prior authorization etc. so I won't have my supplies till the end of the week. Tried to call my local clinic to get some but they wouldn't return my phone call. So my pelvis feels like its on fire without those bladder instillations. Stupid!

Current Meds:
    Zyrtec
    Flonase
    Hydroxzine
    Albuterol
    Atrovent
    Tramadol
    Ranitidine
    Protonix
    Hyophen

ICN Member
    I can't seem to catch a break. I have some catheters now. Liberator sent them not Liberty. My insurance will not pay for them so I'm on my own. I did an instill yesterday but I used up the last of my heparin until the insurance gets that whole thing sorted out. Its hard to get any kind of consitency when I'm gathering all these bits and pieces from here and there. I just want everything here! *whine insterted here*

Current Meds:
    Zyrtec
    Flonase
    Hydroxzine
    Albuterol
    Atrovent
    Tramadol
    Ranitidine
    Protonix
    Hyophen

Quote Originally Posted by Omaklackey View Post
    My insurance will not pay for them so I'm on my own.
    My pharmacy will fill the prescription for the syringes and catheters but my insurance won't cover the cost. My insurance will cover the durable supplies but it has to be filed under the major medical portion of my insurance, not the prescription drug part. It is a little tricky getting everything filed the right way. It took me about 3 motnths to "wade through" all the red tape with finding a pharmacy and a durable supply store who were willing to help. You do need a prescription for the supplies to get the store to order them so your insurance will cover them. Contact your insurance and see if your catheters and syringes can be covered under the major medical portion.

Dr. Dell allows me to use a catheter 4 times. I was worried about UTI at first and used a new one each time. After a couple of months I started reusing the catheters. I have not had any problems with UTI.
    TREATMENT: PRN lidocaine/heparin Home Instillations since 2004
    My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
    IC scholarly articles: http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/dell_pubs.asp
    Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
    I post to encourage and offer total support for resuce instillations.
    Find me on facebook: L. Clark Thomas
    Louann

ICN Member
    Just used the last catheter I had... I have skipped only one night in the last week. I'm still needing these instills every day but my doc and my RN both said it may take a while. I know the night I skipped it I had a horrible time sleeping. The getting up to go to the bathroom constantly was the hardest thing about trying to sleep, especially when I had worked a night shift at the hospital. UGH! Now I take my hydroxzine, and do my instill and I'm not waking up until my cat wakes me up at 630. Its very novel! *crossing fingers that my catheters come very soon!!*

Current Meds:
    Zyrtec
    Flonase
    Hydroxzine
    Albuterol
    Atrovent
    Tramadol
    Ranitidine
    Protonix
    Hyophen

caths

OK You should ask the nurse or dr they need to give you enough for last you at lease 10 days that is how I got started the name of the company is called A -Med her in California? and the best caths to use are Lo Fric good luck
    Blessings,
    Ruth

ICN Member
    Totally crazy busy and never got back on here to post although I read and sneak a look when I can. The suggestion from Curly Que was excellent and my clinic stepped up and got me a whole bag of supplies! Great idea! I'm reordering and guess what!!! I HAD TO GO THROUGH THE WHOLE PROCESS OVER AGAIN! I'm so irritated. I had gotten to only needing an instillation every two to three days and I had a weeks supplies left and started getting everything gathered up and hit dead ends everywhere. took two weeks for Rite Aide to get the script and then they only got half of it. They can't understand that if I don't have all of the pieces of the bladder instill it doesn't do me any good. So frustrating... I'm trying to "make nice" with my pharmacist but went yesterday evening, she said "come tommorow". I came at 11, she had ordered the wrong heparin. I printed out a list of the whole pile of things that have to be refilled and we discussed what date I should request they start the process to get it done in a timely manner. Running out for two weeks...VERY BAD. I'm a full time student, work part time, and homeschool my kids and I can't watch an hour and a half movie right now without running to the toilet 3-4 times. Such a bad flare! So frustrating! I'm also having a terrible time getting my Hydroxzine reordered. I haven't called my doctor but that is my next step. Can't wait for finals week to be over. Next week last week of school, two finals and cross my fingers I can sit that long for the test.

Current Meds:
    Zyrtec
    Flonase
    Hydroxzine
    Albuterol
    Atrovent
    Tramadol
    Ranitidine
    Protonix