Latest Blog Article: Cyclosporine Study Seeks Men and Women Who Have Failed Previous IC/BPS Therapies
    ICN Member

Elavil and Beta Blockers

Hi there I have suffered IC now for approximately 10 years and back in June of this year was also diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue (ME). One horrible effect of ME is heart palps and I was prescribed beta blockers to help. Unfortunately this has meant coming off Amitryptaline which really helped with sleep. I am having a horrible bladder flare at the moment which is causing a lack of sleep and am consequently numb with tiredness. My question is, can I take the ami 10 mg or should I consult my GP to get another anti depressant to help with the sleep, calm my bladder and be ok with the beta blockers?

Really appreciate your guidance

Since sleep is a serious issue I think your doctor can help you for sure or make some med switches. I was just prescribed Ambien by my PCP and it works wonderfully for sleep! I used to take Klonopin and was about to go back on it at bedtime until I tried the Ambien. Perhaps you could ask about a sedating antihistamine for sleep. (they make me too groggy in the morning but for some people they work) If you need an antidepressant there are a lot of them and maybe one can be taken with the Beta-blocker. When I took Paxil years ago, I was almost falling asleep at work! I made me very tired and it's one of the newer ones.

Please keep us updated. I'll be curious to know what the GP does.
    Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

ICN Member
    For what it's worth, I was on a beta blocker (nadolol) for migraine prevention while I was on elavil (25 mg) and had no problems. I recently switched to a calcium channel blocker (verapamil) because the beta blocker was causing problems with my running (it wouldn't allow my heart rate to get high enough to supply oxygen at that level). The verapamil and elavil together haven't been a problem either.

ICN Member
    Hmmm. I was just prescribed a beta blocker for migraines too, & my dr. knows I am on amitriptyline.

ICN Member
    I was on a beta blocker earlier this year as well for post natal high BP, and I take 60mg/Elavil per day (have for about 5 years)..but def ask your doctor first..

For me, hydroxyzine (just half a tab) had the same sleep-inducing affect as ami. I wonder if that would have less problematic interactions for you?
    IC symptoms since Dec. 12 2010 after confirmed bladder infection "never went away." Recently also diagnosed with PCOS, piriformis syndrome, and pelvic floor dysfunction, sinus issues. I was in great health before fall 2010.
    Current medications: citalopram 40 mg, valium 2.5 mgs a night, lidocaine patch (for back pain), Prelief
    Therapies tried or continuing: stretches, walks, baths, internal massage, physical therapy, IC diet, IF unit, heating pad, mindfulness based stress reduction classes, cognitive therapy, books on IC and pelvic pain...

Drugs Tried: the urinary analgesics, 4 kinds of muscle relaxants (including in suppository form), hydroxyzine, 3 kinds of TCA's, lyrica, cymbalta, 6 months elmiron, vesicare, antibiotics, prednisone (after sinus surgery), NSAIDS...
    Supplements: over 20 herbs and supplements, including regimens from TCM practitioner and a naturopathic MD
    Intravesical/Surgical: 3 instills of Uracyst, 2 “rescue instills” lidocaine, bicarb, elmiron; 1 self-instill of marcaine, a steroid, bicarb and heparin; 1 hydrodistention and capsaicin instill (made me worse, still recovering two months later...)
    Other: Acupuncture treatments, magnets (LOL), Anti-Candida Diet (2 months), Wheat free diet, water pH

I've found OTC benadryl any generic store brand works for me for sleep. taken about hour before bed. GL
    ~Laura

There can not be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

March 2006 IC tested positive

current treatments for IC:
    Zoloft 100mg
    Prelief
    tramadol hcl 50mg (4-8 per day)
    diphenhydramine (1 nightly)
    elavil 25mg, Just started Nov 11

additional meds for pain if needed:
    darvacet
    loratab
    percocet
    tried Elmiron for over year and didn't see much of a change, gained weight

Also take Lisinolpril for high blood pressure

Other conditions:
    IBS '93
    depression '94
    stomach ulcers '95
    Mitral Valve Prolaspe Syndrome '01
    Migraines since childhood
    Chronic Fatique '03

It's not the number of years in your life that matter but rather the life in your years.

Thread Information