Latest Blog Article: IC Awareness Daily Fact #16 - IC And Sleep

Question about Pyridium and Urelle

Hi there!! My doctor prescribed pyridium to me to take 2X a day for IC-related pain, but I started wondering what the long term effects are. So, I called his office, but the nurse said he is on vacation.

Does anyone else take this regularly for IC pain? I noticed some take prosed or urelle. I also have an rx for this, but have not tried it yet. I think I read online somewhere that Pyridium can cause liver damage.

P.S. I know ultimately the doctor is the source for drug-related info, but also am wondering if anyone else has to take this stuff regularly. I am on the diet very well, but still cannot seem to get my flares under control. (I think mine may be hormone-related in some cases.)
    ~Valery~
    Dx with IC 3/2009 - Cysto w/Hydro
    Meds: Elmiron (400mg), Atarax (10mg), Elavil (20mg), Pyridium (as needed)

ICN Member
    I got a lot of different answers from drs. and pharmacists on this question of taking pyridium long term. Most of them didn't think it would hurt taken regularly in small doses if there was not an infection involved, and some weren't really sure. I had seen a few people here who were taking it long term on a daily basis. You could check some of the older posts for more info. I had taken it in the beginning and was using it daily for a week or two at a time but unfortunately it didn't help me and made me sick to my stomach.

Hi, Valerie ~ I am prescribed Pyridium up to 4xDaily for my pain. Generally I between it & other treatments I can stop taking it within a day or two. My urine cultures just about 100% come back neg for infection, so the doctor knows this is pretty much IC related. My doctor has not been one bit concerned about taking the Pyridium long term. I have standing refills but of course use as sparingly as possible. (Only as needed even on those days)

I tried Urelle but had major retention.

Everyone seems to be so different that this may work for one and not another. Also, the long term effects may be different with others as well. Hope you find what works for you and you get comfort from your decision.

Blessings,
    Never heard of IC until it was suspected....Never knew so many are suffering from it.
    Praying for a cure.

11/2007 IC Symptoms began during recovery period of surgery for bladder suspension and hysterectomy, painful urgency/frequency
    8/2009 Suspected IC
    1/2010 Treatment began
    2/2010 Diagnosed PFD, began Physical Therapy
    2/2010 Surgery to remove mesh from bladder suspension
    5/2010 Surgery to repair bladder, vaginal vault and small intestine prolapse
    5/2010 IC officially diagnosed during surgery
    7/2010 Diagnosed with Candida Esophagitis, Gastritis, Diviticulosis, Gallstones
    8/2010 Surgery to remove gallbladder

Treatments:
    Heparin/Lidocaine/Bicarb/Kenalog Instills
    Macrodantin 100 mg after each instill
    Valium Vaginal Suppositories: Cyclo/diaz/lido, 10/5/62.5 mg
    Pyridium as needed up to 3xday
    Celexa 10mg daily
    Premarin Cream 3xweek
    Aloe Vera
    Prelief
    Dual Action Acid Reducer/Antacid
    Fiber supplement
    Probiotics
    Physical Therapy for PFD
    IC Diet since 8/2009
    Gabapentin, 12/2011....seems to be working great!

Medications Tried and Discontinued
    Elavil, worked up to 50mg (started 1/2011), caused retention & high blood pressure
    Urelle, caused retention
    Vesicare, caused retention

ICN Member
    I have taken Urelle 4 times a day for a couple of years now. When I cut back the IC flares.
    Cathy

My sweet little doglet!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckersmom View Post
    I have taken Urelle 4 times a day for a couple of years now. When I cut back the IC flares.
    That is good to know. Thank you! I just got my rx for it last night, and it is already helping tons!! Worst case scenario, I will take it regularly. I am on the strictest diet possible right now, and am still flaring. I think it's hormones.
    ~Valery~

I have taken UTA( a generic type of Urelle) up to 3 times a day for months at a time with no ill effects.

It's always a good idea to talk with your doctor before exceeding recommended dosages of over the counter medications.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Quote Originally Posted by ICNDonna View Post
    It's always a good idea to talk with your doctor before exceeding recommended dosages of over the counter medications.

Donna

Hi Donna -

This was not OTC. It was a prescription from my URO. He actually prescribed it to be taken up to 4x a day, but I am trying to take the least amount possible. So, starting out with 3x a day. Not sure where the exceeding came into play. Maybe I missed something in one of the previous posts.
    ~Valery~

Quote Originally Posted by nanawaggs View Post
    Hi, Valerie ~ I am prescribed Pyridium up to 4xDaily for my pain. Generally I between it & other treatments I can stop taking it within a day or two. My urine cultures just about 100% come back neg for infection, so the doctor knows this is pretty much IC related. My doctor has not been one bit concerned about taking the Pyridium long term. I have standing refills but of course use as sparingly as possible. (Only as needed even on those days)

I tried Urelle but had major retention.

Everyone seems to be so different that this may work for one and not another. Also, the long term effects may be different with others as well. Hope you find what works for you and you get comfort from your decision.

Blessings,
    So, the Urelle is working, but now that you mention it, I am noticing that I am going to the bathroom more often. How can you tell if you are having retention? I will go the bathroom, and then feel like I have to go again shortly after... BUT this is also an IC symptom, and I am flared right now....So, not sure what is causing that.
    ~Valery~

ICN Member
    The first Uro I ever saw --- who had no clue as to what was wrong with my bladder --- told me that the blue-pee pills maximum dosage is 8 per 24 hours. That sounds like a bit much to me. My Urelle script is written for 4 tabs per day, and that's what I have had to take for a couple of years now. Before that I only took this medication whenever I had a UTI. Why I have to use it every day now is a mystery to me.
    Cathy

My sweet little doglet!

No longer active
    Regarding Pyridium my doctor told me that with IC if it helps it's worth the slim chance it could harm anything. He actually put me on a regular dose (twice a day) for the first month I was diagnosed with IC. Now that I am feeling hardly any pain I am going to take just one a day this week and probably none next week.

But if it helps you I say go for it. I wouldn't take it for a year straight or anything but the occasional month is probably fine. I am thinking that there's a 2-3 day suggestion on this type of medication mainly because they don't want UTI patients to keep taking it without going to the Dr. for antibiotics over the more serious side-effects. However that's just a hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by nineteenwinters View Post
    Regarding Pyridium my doctor told me that with IC if it helps it's worth the slim chance it could harm anything. He actually put me on a regular dose (twice a day) for the first month I was diagnosed with IC. Now that I am feeling hardly any pain I am going to take just one a day this week and probably none next week.

But if it helps you I say go for it. I wouldn't take it for a year straight or anything but the occasional month is probably fine. I am thinking that there's a 2-3 day suggestion on this type of medication mainly because they don't want UTI patients to keep taking it without going to the Dr. for antibiotics over the more serious side-effects. However that's just a hunch.
    Yeah, I agree with this. Quite honestly, I've been in so much pain lately that my life is just not enjoyable. It's been awful. I'd rather take the pain pills & not experience pain. Since it sounds like the blue pills aren't quite as bad for us as the pyridium, I will stick with them when in a flare. I did take the urelle for for 1 full day (took it 3x), and then today I did not take it. After a week long BAD flare, I am finally feeling better. It seems that the urelle took the flare down. Hopefully, it doesn't come back! I am going to start the Loestrin 24 soon too, which I am praying will give some relief!
    ~Valery~

Thread Information